I've been looking for a way to get access to drums without spending any money. I am poor...so I figured, since I already had rockband (girlfriend bought it for me, because I am poor), I might be able to use the drum set with my computer. I've been hearing that the PS2 version won't work with windows...has anyone had any success (or has anyone ever heard of doing this in the first place?)

Also, If nobody can help me with my question above, could you be kind enough to tell me where I could download a free drum machine for my computer? My internet is 56k, so a small file would rock. Thanks!

I'd appreciate any and all help
I'll make an intelligent guess: No.

Free drum machine: Google "hydrogen drum"
I'm a communist. Really.
i didnt know they still offered dial up anymore?...what with wireless and all
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Yeah Hydrogen just rocks.(Especially on Mac)
Free(Shareware) and a h**l of a drum machine.

But No the Rock Band drumkit won't work except on your PS2 :P
a communist? thats so 50's
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Bair
i didnt know they still offered dial up anymore?...what with wireless and all

wireless has nothing to do with cable v. dial up you twit
it's for us poor people! Well, no...I agree. I almost would rather have no internet than this...

btw thanks for the hydrogen drum info.
Quote by aedmiston
wireless has nothing to do with cable v. dial up you twit

who said anything about cable? lol...wow

My friend found something on his computer, I have no idea what it is, but he showed it to me. It's where you can play the rockband drums like an electric drumset, and you can customize the drum heads for different sounds and such. So there is some way you can do it.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Quote by Bair
who said anything about cable? lol...wow

well thats how it is here
its through the cable company
nobody uses DSL cause it sucks nuts
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hydrogen/hydrogen-windows-installer-20060309.exe?download

I just checked out the Hydrogen thing and its pretty fun. There's a direct download link so you don't have to waste your time looking for it bud, I know how annoying slow internet can be.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
Quote by sacamano79
a communist? thats so 50's

Nonsense.
I'm a communist. Really.
i dont see how DSL sucks? you ever tried to use a cable connection in a an apt. building during peek hours...talk about slow downs.

I had it so I could plug in my PS2 Rockband drums into a vista computer and I had this program that would make it so you can change all the drums to different sounds and play them on the computer so that it was like an electric drumset but it was a little slow and laggy and it wouldn't recognize the hits if you tried to roll or anything.

I'm not sure what it was called, but look around on google and you can probably find it.

Edit:
Quote by xLESTERX
the ps2 drumset works with windows
i do it now and then
google it and there is a program specifically for the Rockband set
its fun too but you dont get excellent response

there it is
http://andrewrudson.com/drummachine/main.php

That's the one.
Quote by aedmiston
you ever tried to use DSL? talk about 1/3 as fast as cable

both ISP's provide the exact same bandwidth packages....u must have used ultra light DSL package or something

Hydrogen's not working for me I cant open it

Help?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Bair
both ISP's provide the exact same bandwidth packages....u must have used ultra light DSL package or something

maybe now, but not when everyone scored that sweet package deal with cable and high speed internet for like $50 a month
it can be done, but it's not too great. the pads aren't sensitive to touch so it doesn't sound natural at all. Plus, besides the bass, there's only four pads to map, so your configurations are severely limited.

trust me when I say you'll get bored pretty quickly.
How realistic does Hydrogen sound, does anybody know?

My band cant afford a demo atm but we need new tracks. Anyone reckon it would be okay for a demo release? x
I've been here since '04.

^ If you got a copy of EZDrummer you could get a realisticish drum sound quite easily.
My friends and I hooked up his 360 drum set to his laptop and ran it through garage band, it worked, though it was severely laggy.
Why'd you waste your time and money buying/playing Rock Band when you could have saved up that $200 or so dollars and used that extra time to work for money?

That's what I don't get about these kids who play these games. Guitar Hero was at least $100 when it first came out. For that much or a little bit more, they could have bought themselves a cheap guitar and learned REAL guitar instead of wasting time on that crap.

/rant

But to answer your question, yes you can. It won't be anything near a real set because there aren't enough pads and it will just be really different from a real set. You'll get timing and keeping a beat down. But it might be hard switching to a real set.
Quote by paulvxD
Why'd you waste your time and money buying/playing Rock Band when you could have saved up that $200 or so dollars and used that extra time to work for money?

That's what I don't get about these kids who play these games. Guitar Hero was at least $100 when it first came out. For that much or a little bit more, they could have bought themselves a cheap guitar and learned REAL guitar instead of wasting time on that crap.

/rant

But to answer your question, yes you can. It won't be anything near a real set because there aren't enough pads and it will just be really different from a real set. You'll get timing and keeping a beat down. But it might be hard switching to a real set.

Dude, rock band is really fun. Besides, learning drums gave me rhythm.
ive done it with the 360 version, and you should be able to do it with the ps2 because ive actually hooked up a ps2 guitar to my computer before to play keyboards on fire when i had no console for a month.

idk about the connector for the ps2 version but if its usb already it should be set to go. if its not the sell a (something like) guitar hero ps2 to ps3 adaptor, which is essentially a ps2 controller port top usb converter(also works with regular controllers). it costs 19.99 if you can find it idk if they even still sell it with gh3 being out.

ok so once you get the drums hooked to the computer youll need two programs.\"

Joy2Key - lets you map external controller presses to a button on keyboard, mouse click/move etc.

Fruity Loops Studio(or equivalent, must have drum samples capable of being played at the push of a button)

youll need to set up a 5 peice drum kit in FL studio. do this by selecting the drums and sending them to a channel in a project with 5 channels. *save the project as a preset and you wont need to do it every time unless you want different sounds.

once you do that youll have to find out what keys on the keyboard correspond to which drum sound is played when pressed. in joy2key map the keys to the pads on the controller(there is a tutorial for this somewhere, dont remember where it is. NOTE: i find it helps to use note pad, youll see what i mean when you download the program)

once you have all the pad/keypresses programed just keep FL studio the front window and if you did everything right you should hear the drums when you hit the pad.

i know there is probably some guide somewhere if you use google but this is the way i did it and if you have any experience with computers you should be able to do it by just reading this.

**also ive recently found that the rock band mic(along with the guitar, but the only reason youd use it is to play one of the gh ripoffs) also works in windows. you can use it to chat on ventrilo/teamspeak/xfire etc. you can also use it to record podcasts and even guitar. it has somewhat decent quality when used with audacity, but i havent played around with it yet too much and i think if i tweak the settings in audacity i can get it to record with some pretty good quality for a cheap usb mic. ill post recordings if anyone wants.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 7, 2008,