EDIT: Added a .MIDI file.

Well, after a lot of work, I've finally completed (or not, depending if I want to add more to it, but the conclusion I think is pretty solid right now) my first song. I decided to bring it to UG's forums because I've had a couple people crit it and they said it was pretty good, so it kind of gave me the balls to post it here to see what you guys think.

I really love it, but I think there's a few flaws in it. I dunno if I'm just overreacting, but I'll just see if you guys think the same as me. I was also aiming for it being kinda dreamy (hence the name Envision), so try not to fall asleep ... It's relatively short too so yeah.

I dunno if it's Jazz... Haven't really listened to a whole helluva lot of jazz music, so I wouldn't really know, but it's more of a softy song, and I've changed my time signatures quite a bit, so I think it can be defined as 'progressive'. It's just basically a song based with a Jazz guitar.

Finally, I would like to say, I really hope you guys enjoy this song

Criticism is welcome. Sorry for the long post.
Attachments:
envision.zip
envision_midi.zip
Last edited by Dregen at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Dregen
Well I'm glad someone other than my mom likes it

I want to sig this comment sooo bad but i dont know how. could someone help.

To be honest i thought this was really strange but i think its because of some of the odd time sigs dont sound right on gp. can u record it?
Quote by bloodshed344
Pretty good. Nothing much too say, liked most of it except 25, and didn't start liking it again until 32. 40 was great.

What? I liked 25 onwards the most. The last 2 bars were done very well.

I'm not really a huge fan of millions of time sig changes (with the odd exception of a few bands) so I am probably not the best person to judge this sort of stuff.

But yeah, I just thought some of it was to dissonant and weird for no reason, sort of like you did it just for the hell of having weird time sigs. Just my opinion.
Quote by Regression
But yeah, I just thought some of it was to dissonant and weird for no reason, sort of like you did it just for the hell of having weird time sigs. Just my opinion.

I'll be completely honest when I say this, but I kind of did. I just wanted to try to see if I could actually write something with lots of weird time signatures, and I somehow managed to.

The changing time signatures kind of complement the meaning of the title 'Envision'. I mean, dreams are kinda supposed to be weird, you know? And I kinda wanted to cast a dreamy sort of feel about the song too.

So basically with this song I just wanted to capture the feel of a dream, where some of it doesn't really make sense. Like at bar 20, where the mood is like suddenly in a happy mood, when just seconds ago it was a really sleepy mood.

Thanks for the comments guys! Hopefully I'll get more