this is somewhat of a lame and embarrassing thread but the question had to be asked...

i play guitar mostly but i play bass in a band and my guitarist plays acoustic so he plays a lot of chords, and weird chords...you know like asus7whatever. for strange chords like that...lets say its that asus7...it's an a chord, so i can play any a as a root note and it will sound good? because a lot of the time he gets mad that it doesn't sound like EXACTLY the same note, even if i am playing an a for example. sorry if this is reading a little scattered but i'm very tired. also any other tips for jamming? if i play any note of the major scale of the root note it is supposed to sound good right? i don't know any theory btw.
maybe you arent in tune, or hes an ass

or!!

you arent in tune and hes an ass about it
Last edited by Mary Just at Jul 6, 2008,
root notes usually work...
but yeah, if you wanna jam, you ought to start playing first and have him go off of what you're doing.
yes, any A works.

and indeed, he is an ass. you have a bigger weapon, hit him with it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
he needs to build off you
first comes drums
then bass
then g-tar
then vocals

i play g-tar mosly, and i know that even, hes an ass
Quote by Mary Just
maybe you arent in tune, or hes an ass

or!!

you arent in tune and hes an ass about it

I agree with mary just!!!!
while he is an ass he's also my friend and the *bassis* of our band (haha if that doesn't make sense then i guess i'm more tired than i thought) and he doesn't really make a big deal about it cause we're just jammin...regardless i figure by learning more i'm just making myself better and making us sound better...so when i find that just fretting the e on the fifth or hitting an open a doesn't work i should just gander around the fretboard and find an a that sounds peachy?
Quote by Mary Just
he needs to build off you
first comes drums
then bass
then g-tar
then vocals

i play g-tar mosly, and i know that even, hes an ass

if he writes the song, he already knows what he is going to be playing, how can he build off me?
The root note will always work for a chord, as well as the tonic of the piece. Just stick around your arpeggios and you wont sound too disonant. Learning what notes make up chords is such a good thing for bass players, so i suggest you start working on that. Because in the case of a sus chord an arpeggio wont work so you must use the 2nd or 4th depending on the chord. Read this, should help CLICKY
Quote by Mr. Saturn
The root note will always work for a chord, as well as the tonic of the piece. Just stick around your arpeggios and you wont sound too disonant. Learning what notes make up chords is such a good thing for bass players, so i suggest you start working on that. Because in the case of a sus chord an arpeggio wont work so you must use the 2nd or 4th depending on the chord. Read this, should help CLICKY

ah the theory lesson that i say i will always get around to learning. i know that an arpeggio is playing the notes of a chord seperately (right?) but...hell can someone just show me where i can learn about arpeggios...does it explain them in that theory column?
Yeah. The tutorial is about chord formation, which is where you get arpeggios from. Read the tutorial, it teaches everything you need to know and all you really need to know is the major and minor scale for it to make sense of it. Dont be lazy and read it.
Quote by Mr. Saturn
Yeah. The tutorial is about chord formation, which is where you get arpeggios from. Read the tutorial, it teaches everything you need to know and all you really need to know is the major and minor scale for it to make sense of it. Dont be lazy and read it.

i will! tomorrow that is. thanks for the help bra.
Quote by tona_107
i will! tomorrow that is. thanks for the help bra.

Someone gave you a brassiere?
That theory lesson should help you either way.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Make sure both of you tune to E-standard, or whatever, every time you jam. I find, if you don't, it usually results in an awkward mid-jam interruption, and that's not groovy.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
First off, tune both the guitar and the bass correctly.
If your guitarist says it don't work when you play the root note then tell him you got bad ears.
During jamming, your bass volume has to be double basically from the guitar.
And of course you can use guitar scales on the bass too. It will sound good. Penthatonic scale is the easiest to adapt. Lol. Major for happy kind tone and minor for a little mellow tone but there's exceptions.
Quote by rejected1
First off, tune both the guitar and the bass correctly.
If your guitarist says it don't work when you play the root note then tell him you got bad ears.
During jamming, your bass volume has to be double basically from the guitar.
And of course you can use guitar scales on the bass too. It will sound good. Penthatonic scale is the easiest to adapt. Lol. Major for happy kind tone and minor for a little mellow tone but there's exceptions.

ya we always tune up of course...but no i agree with him a lot of the time it won't sound exactly right with a root note cause it will be in a different octave or something? like it will sound good but it won't sound like it's the exact note....i dunno : ( thanks for the help anyways
Excuse me if i sound totally patronsing, but it sounds like you've learnt the scale, and think that (as I used to! I still don't know that much music thoery - I just picked it up from the lessons here and an article by joe satriani in total guitar!) If you play any random note in the scale it'll sound musical - This is not the case.
When you're playing non-rootnote/riff style parts eg: walking bass, you still want to land on the rootnote on strong beats, (eg; 1st beat) otherwise it'll sound gash (probably).

Personally, I think rootnotes get a bad press. just cos something's simple doesn't mean it's not good.
Quote by jimRH7
Excuse me if i sound totally patronsing, but it sounds like you've learnt the scale, and think that (as I used to! I still don't know that much music thoery - I just picked it up from the lessons here and an article by joe satriani in total guitar!) If you play any random note in the scale it'll sound musical - This is not the case.
When you're playing non-rootnote/riff style parts eg: walking bass, you still want to land on the rootnote on strong beats, (eg; 1st beat) otherwise it'll sound gash (probably).

Personally, I think rootnotes get a bad press. just cos something's simple doesn't mean it's not good.

+1

Root notes are one of the main foundations of bass and yet people think they are useless and too easy, those people are stupid!

Also TS remember the bass is a very different instrument to guitar, make sure you are not treating it like a guitar otherwise it may just sound crap. Make sure your using the 'proper' techniques cause if you are playing badly it could be reflecting the sound.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Rywad
+1

Root notes are one of the main foundations of bass and yet people think they are useless and too easy, those people are stupid!

Also TS remember the bass is a very different instrument to guitar, make sure you are not treating it like a guitar otherwise it may just sound crap. Make sure your using the 'proper' techniques cause if you are playing badly it could be reflecting the sound.

proper techniques?