Anybody ever got into these amps a little deeper than switching out tubes and speakers? I'm thinking about redoing some of the connections or something where there are any weak points. Would it be worth it or a waste of time? Thanks for any ideas.
Hagstrom Ultra Lux
Fender Japan Strat
Peavey C30 w/JJ toobs & Vintage 30 Speaker
BigMuff Pi, American
SmallClone
TS9 Tubescreamer
Boss CS3 / Monte Allum mod
Danelectro EQ
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
ISP Decimator

"I.SAC.30'S"
Last edited by ssublime1 at Jul 6, 2008,
im not sure about the classic 30 in particular but people often change the capacitors and power transformers in their amps but i dont think it would be worth it in your case

what dont you like about the tone of the amp? what are you trying to achieve but modifying it?
It's such a popular amp that you'd think there'd be a cult of modders a/w it, but I don't think I've heard of any mods for the C30. It may be that it's so tight in there that modding's a difficult task. But if you know what you're doing (or have a tech that does) and have a specific mod in mind - go for it!

Make sure you get back to us!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I haven't tried to take out the PCB boards yet, but it does look difficult to mod.

But, there's a few sites which have schematics for some mods for these amps.
IMO, they're fine with the stock circuitry. A speaker swap and tube change is always a good idea though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Hey man, I'm a tech at Voodoo amps and we offer 3 differant levels of mods to the Classic 30. Also FJA amps mods peaveys, but I can't tell you for sure if they do the classic 30, you'd have to check the website. Dude, if it's got tubes, somebody is modding it. Feel free to ask me any questions you've got.
Quote by lespaulvoodoo
Hey man, I'm a tech at Voodoo amps and we offer 3 differant levels of mods to the Classic 30. Also FJA amps mods peaveys, but I can't tell you for sure if they do the classic 30, you'd have to check the website. Dude, if it's got tubes, somebody is modding it. Feel free to ask me any questions you've got.

They dont seem to have it on the website...
Mehhh safety freaks annoy me. Just don't be a tool with it and it'll be fine.

I'm sure you could mod it. I've seen schematics, even I could help you. But how do you want the tone changed, and is it worth it?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Thanks for all the replies!

I guess my problem is I don't really have particular problem or sound I would like to mod it for. More of, well connections "X" and "Y" are put together on the cheap and you can fix that using "Z" to get some more clarity. Since I put the V30 in there it could use a little more bass or something to fill the clean sound out a little more, but that's probably just the speaker.

slats - If I do get into it I'll definitely post up here about it.

lespaulvoodoo - I'm going to check out the site and keep in touch if I think of anything

suprfly - I really like the Muff alot with this amp. The TS9 doesn't have a whole lot of distortion in and of itself. What I like to do is use it in front of the BM for some extra nastiness and feedback sounds. That little MF'er will add alot of boost and general dirtiness for that little bit more of distortion that really kicks you in the balls. It also dirties up a little more in the OD channel, but the effect isn't as pronounced as in the clean.
Hagstrom Ultra Lux
Fender Japan Strat
Peavey C30 w/JJ toobs & Vintage 30 Speaker
BigMuff Pi, American
SmallClone
TS9 Tubescreamer
Boss CS3 / Monte Allum mod
Danelectro EQ
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
ISP Decimator

"I.SAC.30'S"
Quote by Highwaytohell
They dont seem to have it on the website...

Our website is currently being updated, as we have about a hundred mods designed that aren't listed. It's hard to keep on top of, working anywhere from 50 to 80 hours a week! You are always welcome to call the shop line, and feel free to message me anytime with any questions. Shred on brothers!
I'm getting a Classic 50 soon (hopefully), and I'm going to tear the sucker apart and rebuild it. I'll let you know how it goes, but here's what you could do:
Replace the output transformer (expensive, but effective)
Tweak the guts (usually cheap, but you have to know what to do)
Replace the ribbon connections with "real" wire (cheap)
^That has yet to be decided

I'm still in the process of thinking. I need to see if the Classic would still be useful to me.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^It's true, i'm a very indecisive person.
But, I'll probably go through with our deal.
A POD would be infinitely useful for laying down some licks and some demos with actual decent quality (I'm using a camera mic which distorts like crazy ATM). And something with humbuckers would be handy.

It's just a matter of time, and making sure.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator