Ive been playing guitar for a little over 2 years now and Im in a rut. My picking technique is all wrong, Im having trouble with writing anything original, and my improvising is crap. So latley I have zero confidence as a guitarist. Does anybody on here have any advice? If you can relate or can remember when this stuff clicked with you then leaving some advise or a story could help alot.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
work on practicing more efficiently, and find a good guitar teacher.

Will that help with songwriting at all?
Is songwriting your only problem?

It may still help a little, cause if you don't have to concentrate so much on things picking the right string, doing that hammer-on ok and so on, you can focus more on what you're playing. Plus beeing able to play cool stuff is necessary in order to play own cool stuff (sounds logic, riight ).

However, if you're only interested in songwriting, I guess you'll find some good articles here. I don't know what kind of music you are playing, but a good general advice would be to learn some theory, listen closly the guitar parts of your favourite songs and try to understand them, try out many things and practise often and maybe also train your ear

but it's hard to help you if we don't know what you want to play, how you are writing songs at the moments, what you can do so far and so on. You could do a guitar pro tab (or powertab) from one your songs and post it here
I've had seven classes with my guitar teacher and I tell you it is WORTH DOUBLE your money dude.
Guitar Teachers are beautiful creations and the finest of human beings.
They are handsome and very well hung. You can learn much from them
Quote by IamGod 666
Will that help with songwriting at all?

If you learn theory it will, als it will help your technique and make it possible more stuff which helps when writing too because you aren't as limited by your skill level.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
How do you get good?

You practice. Simple as that, there's no magic wand that touches you and makes you brilliant.
Quote by IamGod 666
how do you start being good?
You dont. You will never ever be as good at guitar as you would like to be. And if you ever are, your deluding yourself. In every skill, there will always be room to improve and there will always be a level of subjectiveness (like whos better: vai, hendrix or cobain?).
There will never be a perfect guitarist, as perfect is subjective, and you will always see flaws in your playing. Just keep practising and striving for perfection, even if its impossible.
Quote by demonofthenight

There will never be a perfect guitarist, as perfect is subjective, and you will always see flaws in your playing. Just keep practising and striving for perfection, even if its impossible.

once again, i give your statement a +1. this is entirely true. even if you can only play a couple chords then you're doing good compared to the people who have never picked up a guitar. also i've seen people who could shred mindlessly and were really fast but been FAR more impressed by a "n00b" who put the right 5 chords together and played them really well.

the only standards you have to live up to are your own and if you really want to be "good" then unfortunately you'll never be as good as you want. but it will always push you to be better and remember more than anything the most important part of playing music is enjoying it and having fun.
With regards to songwriting, I suggest you get to a desired skill level first. It's no fun to write a solo or song and not be able to play it. Just saying. I practiced "shred technique" for about 2 years straight, and there is nothing that holds me back anymore. I'm not saying I'm MAB or Steve Vai, but I am at a place where anything that I write, I can play flawlessly.

I still however learn new stuff and concentrate on getting my skills up, but that's mainly repertoire (Paganini Caprices, etc). That's just my opinion, but I think I'm right. Because once you get into songwriting, you'll get addicted.

I can sit for hours and write a bar of good music and I'd be satisfied. Then I get to thinking "what if I spent those hours practicing? Hmm...". However, do what your instincts tell you. Not everyone is/wants to be a shredder.
Quote by IamGod 666
Ive been playing guitar for a little over 2 years now and Im in a rut. My picking technique is all wrong, Im having trouble with writing anything original, and my improvising is crap. So latley I have zero confidence as a guitarist. Does anybody on here have any advice? If you can relate or can remember when this stuff clicked with you then leaving some advise or a story could help alot.

I started getting good when I stopped focusing on "being good". I don't agree with "striving for perfection" as suggested in this thread, because I think that mindset is the cause of the problem not the cure. I think It pretty much goes without saying that you want to be good at whatever you do. Not many people "strive for mediocrity".
Put your focus on the goal of making music, and "let" yourself become good. Work hard, but enjoy the experience. If you have the talent and the desire and work on your playing skills, "getting good" pretty much just happens.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 6, 2008,
as far as song writing just listen to how other bands use chord progressions and such, but dont just do this with one or two bands, if you can do this with several very different bands you will develop your own origional sound, and therefore: origional songs
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Not that it really bothers me, but there's a thread on this subject every single day. And I tend to read them, so I guess I like them.

Try getting out and seeing some live music, preferably by people you know or by musicians your age. Seeing them rock a stage will probably give you a huge motivation to practice. It does for me at least.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.