Alright, I've been playing guitar a while, but I'm just wondering, what are some useful techniques to learn out there. I don't really know of many aside from what i'll post below lol.

Alternate Picking - Pretty much the simplest technique I think. I've got it down pretty well, although it does get hard when I have to move down a string and I just strummed upward, I tend to clip the string on the way getting there and etc.

Tapping - Same as below? only... 1 handed? lol. I'm guessing these are done with the strum hand not the neck hand, otherwise it'd just be a hammer-on/pull off.

Double Handed Tapping - Tapping's not really that hard period... I was surprised how easy it was. I guess it's kind of hard to get your index strum hand finger to pull off without hitting other strings and such, but once you get it its simple.

Hammer-ons - Simplest thing ever.

Pull-offs -Simple for the most part, once you get the angle your finger has to pull off anyway.

Sweep Picking - Makes tabs look cool... annnd yeah. I can kinda do it but I tend to individually pick the notes, if I try to do 1 fluid sweep i tend to miss strings. But I'm workin on it

Pinch Harmonics - Just learned those like an hour ago (yes at 3 am). What can I say, I play guitar constantly? lol. Anyway I don't always get it of course, but one thing I'm kind of having trouble with is not hitting other strings with my finger when I just want to pick 1 string for the note. Is that normal (so you have to mute the strings) or do I just need to work on it and I'll eventually hit the only string I need.

Bends - I can do bends... everyone can I guess. One problem I have is that when I bend a note really far, it goes into the string above and then when I slowly release, it mutes itself. Anything I can do for that?

Dive Bomb - I want to learn it, but I can't since... I have a B.C. Rich SOB (no tremeloooo). But I'm lookin for a new guitar. It seems simple enough, if I can figure out how to make it so the trem. can go upward lol.

Anyway, what are some other useful techniques out there to learn and improve my guitar technique arsenal?

(or skills)
Last edited by VcentG at Jul 6, 2008,
tapping/double handed tapping.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
fast stumming as in strumming or alternate picking?

because alternate picking should be on teh top of the list and be described as : i am so ****ing great at this its not funny.

so basically, fluid alternate picking = basis for any other technique,

bends, dive bombing, harmonics etc. arnt really techniques, but "tricks" you can do with a guitar (dont argue that theres still a technique in doing them =_=)
*Enter Sig Here*
Ah, how could I forget such things... lol. I guess its because I can do them pretty fluidly that I didn't consider them techniques O,o...

Anyway, I added double handed tapping and alternate picking. (or will be if you read this as soon as I posted it)

Tapping I'm not sure about though, when does a guitarist only use 1 hand to tap? I mean any examples I could see?

I have a small music background so I listen to avenged sevenfold and fast stuff so mostly its double handed.
Sweep Picking - Makes tabs look cool... annnd yeah. I can kinda do it but I tend to individually pick the notes, if I try to do 1 fluid sweep i tend to miss strings. But I'm workin on it
No. If this is in the basics forum, sweep picking isn't the way to go. I know people who've been playing for 4 or 5 years (at a serious level) and can't do that.

In other news, how long've you been playing?

Anyway, I added double handed tapping and alternate picking. (or will be if you read this as soon as I posted it)
Alt picking is fundamental, tapping's really just a fancy trick.

Tapping I'm not sure about though, when does a guitarist only use 1 hand to tap? I mean any examples I could see?
Legato. Like hammer-ons and pull offs, but you don't pick at all. Well, I classify that as "one-handed tapping" anyway.

Or possibly tapping while leaving your fretting hand doing nothing? Sounds a bit pointless to me, but who knows?
do idea how you single handedly tap..

but , wiht the whole skill/ technique thing,

its not the quantity, its the quality.

its not a bull**** thing you say, in guitar, it REALLY matters how well you can do stuff,
and even then theres only so many techniques on guitar.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by VcentG
Alternate Picking - Pretty much the simplest technique I think

So you think that Yngwie Malmsteen's picking is simple?
Last edited by Ht666 at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Ht666
So you that Yngwie Malmsteen picking is simple?

Jeeze, stop fishing for an argument. He never even MENTIONED Malmsteen. I like this thread, don't shart on it.

Something I found I really needed to learn that I didn't think of was palm muting strings that ring out in resonance and learning where these resonating points are so you aren't muting after you hear the sour buzzing. This might not be a problem if your guitar doesn't resonate a ton like mine, but if it does, doing this well will clean up your tone a LOT. Even from the few times I've gotten it right I've noticed a huge difference.
"Alternate Picking - Pretty much the simplest technique I think. I've got it down pretty well, although it does get hard when I have to move down a string and I just strummed upward, I tend to clip the string on the way getting there and etc."

that means you suck at inside picking!

there fore, do basic 1,2,3,4 on each string going down (first exercise you learn sorta thing), but start on an upstroke.

economy picking is alternate, but putting in 2 downs somewhere to make changing strings easyer.

and legato you should already have down.

i dont see how anyone can accurately sum up there "skills" for guitar.

just play!!

learn stuff way to hard, then focus on it, be able to play it perfectly & cleanly (no dud notes etc.) and bam, new skills.
*Enter Sig Here*
XP of course. Just wanted to see what else is out there. And I've been playing since like December so I guess somewhere between 7-8 months? I had to learn sweep picking... my favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster likes to flaunt sweep picking in songs lol.

And yeah I suck at inside picking in that sense lol if I alternate pick, I can be accurate just downing but alternate I mess up a bit.

I don't get what you mean by putting 2 downs somewhere. You mean putting your finger on the next string waiting for you to start picking there?
You're getting ahead of yourself. Practice your alternate picking; that is arguably the most important technique on guitar, and indisputably the most important if you want to play fast metal. Practice slowly with a metronome. Practice perfection and accuracy, not speed. If you can't play slowly, you can't play fast. Make every action controlled and deliberate. Ignore tapping, sweeping, and all the fancy nonsense until you have the basics down pat.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
finally another person who can sweep pick after 7 months (ive been playing since christmas, and found it REALLY wierd that I could do that easily and ppl have trouble with it after years), and im also still working at it. I'm about at the same level as you. great list.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You're getting ahead of yourself. Practice your alternate picking; that is arguably the most important technique on guitar, and indisputably the most important if you want to play fast metal. Practice slowly with a metronome. Practice perfection and accuracy, not speed. If you can't play slowly, you can't play fast. Make every action controlled and deliberate. Ignore tapping, sweeping, and all the fancy nonsense until you have the basics down pat.

Who would skip the basics. Of course I would keep practicing them. I dunno if I could completely ignore them. I do want to play songs now and then ya know. Not saying I reject your wisdom, merely saying I have a short attention span and every now and then I need that 'raaaaaaa' in my guitar practice.
Then let my "wisdom" impart this: the chances of you having the coordination and strength necessary to sweep pick and all that jibber-jabber at any level of proficiency with so little experience are very slim. You need to walk before you can run.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Haha understood. Although, nothing wrong with trying to run while knowing how to walk -for the most part-. Sure you might fall, but in the end you'll get it faster (or fall and crack your head open and die).

And yes, they should bring back TechTV.
Last edited by VcentG at Jul 6, 2008,