So...This Summer I decided that I wanna play some games on my PC but my video card usually is just meeting the minimum requirements...and the games look like ****.

So. Question is I really would only wanna spend under $75...

So if som1 could help me or redirect me to a tech forum...that'd be cool

so far I've looked at

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=204224&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4&om_keycode=4
(nVidia EVGA 512MB)

http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=1503375&CMP=KAC-GoogleShopping
(nVidia GE Force 8500 GT)

John Petrucci

The one and only god.
For gods sake man.

You cant expect anything good if u only spend $75.

Save up some more.
idk im not sure I might try to download some xbox 360 games...or maybe a MMORPG to kill lots of time...idk

do you know how to check your current video card to see what model it is....without opening up the computer chasis?

EDIT: It's from a dimension 4500...6 years old...so I might be able to look it up although because it's a middle/low class computer, they might not have the specs
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Last edited by King_Arthur at Jul 6, 2008,
rightclick on your desktop, settings, advanced, videocard. should tell you what you are using.

But if you want any serious graphic, and a good card in the future you need to be up in the 8800GT area. They aren't expenssive neither :P
well it says adapter but that seems to mean video carD?

128Mb and its a Radeon 9200 series

EDIT: Oh and btw that 8800GT is like $200...I don't really wanna spend that much just cause...idk I wanna get a new guitiar and all that as well
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
how can i find out what sound, video and graphics card i have on my PC, but with Windows Vista?
cleft idk...

Well I see a video card on Newegg that seems different...heres what they call it
EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$100...$80 after a $20 mail in rebate

I might also buy a 1gb RAM stick just for kicks
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
start menu, right click on computer, select properties, should be a tab that says something like hardware, then click on device manager, and that should give you a list of your hardware.
Meh....
Quote by King_Arthur
cleft idk...

Well I see a video card on Newegg that seems different...heres what they call it
EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$100...$80 after a $20 mail in rebate

I might also buy a 1gb RAM stick just for kicks

what are your system stats? I kinda build computers in my spare time....
Meh....
Radeon 9200 128mb video card
Pentium 2.00ghz processor (phail)
512Mb RAM
80Gb hardrive

It's a dimension 4500 computer..has a DVD burner added into I think
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Any1 know if Ebay is good for buying parts of computers?

My mom hates ebay...lol she always thinks were gonna get ripped, even if the person selling has sold about 5000 things with 99.9% positive feedback

EDIT: Good news my current video card isn't worthless on ebay
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
well with those stats I don't think you can run PCI gfx cards, so looks like you gotta stick to Radeon.
Quote by King_Arthur
Radeon 9200 128mb video card
Pentium 2.00ghz processor (phail)
512Mb RAM
80Gb hardrive

It's a dimension 4500 computer..has a DVD burner added into I think

Your motherboard only supports agp and pci graphics cards, so id be on the look out for an agp x4 or x8 (x8 preferably as these will be more powerful) graphics card no point looking out for pci express cards as they will not be compatible with your motherboard.

EDIT :Just googled your pc, the Mb can only support agp x4 which is very old graphics card type and will not cope will new games at least on decent resoloutions anyway,

Cant help much with specific models however sorry.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Last edited by chris24789 at Jul 6, 2008,
cliffls angry, what would make it so I can't run them?

EDIT: other guy posted before i finished this post sorry
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by King_Arthur

That card would be a good choice however it could only run at agp x4 speed as opposed the intended agp x8 speed of the graphics card meaning it will not run as fast as intended but this is not a dramatic difference any ways, still a good choice however don't be hoping to play any modern graphicly intensive game on decent settings.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Last edited by chris24789 at Jul 6, 2008,
MSI ATI 2600Pro AGP 512MB DDR2 Dual Link DVI HDCP Heat Pipe DX10

i think that is the best graphics card you can get that is not pci express