hi
I'm about 2 undertake a fairly simple customisation of a strat clone ,no cutting or remoddeling at all, just painting and maybe a new fret board.
basically i want it 2 look like the picture which will folo,

anyway the problem i have encountered is folowing,

1) is it possable 2 paint str8 onto the body or do i have 2 strip and repaint.(the space invaders)
2)can i paint on scratchplate atal or would i have 2 make my own if i can how'd i go about painting on it.(the asteroids)
3)I feel's like its missing sutin any idea's

btw i did check the sticky's but all thier tutorials involve completly repainting the body ,stripping and refinishing and was wondering if there was way round this.

also i know this is just a paint mock up of a drawing i dreamed up one day but just humour me lol

thanks for any help or advise
Last edited by centorium at Jul 6, 2008,
oops pic a bit over sized,just gonna cut it a bit... bear wid me
Last edited by centorium at Jul 6, 2008,
i think that the fret board work would be the most difficult. seeing as i think you would have to do inlays?
Quote by 51VH50
i think that the fret board work would be the most difficult. seeing as i think you would have to do inlays?

stickers? gd ones might work well but i dunno
1. you can paint onto the finish, but you'll want to figure out if the finish is polyurethane or nitrocellulose before you select a paint.

2. you can just draw on the pickguard with a sharpie.

3. i would never do that to my strat, but its yours.

4. removing the fretboard and inlaying custom pacmans is a significant undertaking. you'll have to steam off the board, get a new one, make your inlays, rout channels for them, and fret the board.

edit: 5. stickers will be ground off by the strings pretty quickly. ditto for paint. its inlay or nothing.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Quote by 51VH50

yeah i decided 2 try and get a fairly blank fretboard and then do the deatail myself,however if any1 elce got a better idea i'm all ears
n d/w i'm not doing this 2 a real strat just a clone i'd never do this 2 my actuall strat,this is just sutin i dreamed up and thought it would be a good place 2 start.

also with the fret board ,a friend of mine sugested engraving pacman,painting then coating over with varnish but wouldn't this just wear away like paint