Hi

Whenever i use my big muff on the overdrive channel of my amp, i seem to get either a volume drop, or the same volume but cutting through the mix less. The volume is all the way up. It seems to only happen noticably with the humbucker on my Fender Cyclone, which happens to be my main guitar, but it also lacks any clarity when i use a lower output guitar.

I initially put the blame on the lacking midrange frequencies of the muff. I love the ripping distortion it produces however. People on this site have suggested me using a mid-heavy overdrive like a tubescreamer as a clean boost behind the muff to give the mids an extra kick, but that seemed to mix in some of the tubescreamer's grit with the muff, which is not what i want. The Marshall BB-2 seemed to be doing the trick, but when i tried it with the big muff in the shop, that big muff seemed to have more volume than mine... did i get given a dodgy one, or is it something to do with batteries, because i'm using the stock battery which could've been drained during testing?

For reference, my settings are Volume maxed out, tone at about 12:30 and sustain at 10 o'clock, and i'm using a Laney VC30 1x12 tube combo on the drive channel, gain at 4, volume is varied depending on the location, and the EQ is bass 4.5, mids 6 (the overdrive channel sounds boxy if i turn it up any higher) and treble 3.

edit: another thing is, it seems to decrease in volume even more on the clean channel...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Hi

Whenever i use my big muff on the overdrive channel of my amp, i seem to get either a volume drop, or the same volume but cutting through the mix less. The volume is all the way up. It seems to only happen noticably with the humbucker on my Fender Cyclone, which happens to be my main guitar, but it also lacks any clarity when i use a lower output guitar.

I initially put the blame on the lacking midrange frequencies of the muff. I love the ripping distortion it produces however. People on this site have suggested me using a mid-heavy overdrive like a tubescreamer as a clean boost behind the muff to give the mids an extra kick, but that seemed to mix in some of the tubescreamer's grit with the muff, which is not what i want. The Marshall BB-2 seemed to be doing the trick, but when i tried it with the big muff in the shop, that big muff seemed to have more volume than mine... did i get given a dodgy one, or is it something to do with batteries, because i'm using the stock battery which could've been drained during testing?

For reference, my settings are Volume maxed out, tone at about 12:30 and sustain at 10 o'clock, and i'm using a Laney VC30 1x12 tube combo on the drive channel, gain at 4, volume is varied depending on the location, and the EQ is bass 4.5, mids 6 (the overdrive channel sounds boxy if i turn it up any higher) and treble 3.

edit: another thing is, it seems to decrease in volume even more on the clean channel...

Wait, are you saying that you're using the battery that came with the pedal?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Wait, are you saying that you're using the battery that came with the pedal?

yes, as a temporary thing until i've got a multi-adaptor which can run the mini-jack style pedals. I've only had it about a month or two though. I'd assume the "floor model" would be using the 'stock' battery as well, but that one was much louder.

i'm hoping its the battery, it seems to be a lot quieter than it was when i bought it even, thinking about it. Although, the guy in the shop said germanium transistor fuzzboxes don't like being put after buffered bypass pedals, and my big muff is connected after the boss DS-2, which could explain a lot, but i don't think the muff uses germanium transistors..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
yes, as a temporary thing until i've got a multi-adaptor which can run the mini-jack style pedals. I've only had it about a month or two though. I'd assume the "floor model" would be using the 'stock' battery as well, but that one was much louder.

When I use 9v batteries on my pedal, they're dead in like a week MAX.

Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Try using a different battery.
That may or may not work.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
This happens with all distortion pedals man, it's just a matter of settign the level of your pedal in accordance to the dfistortion channel. What's happening it the distortion on your amp is compressing the big muff's signal. Just drop the channels down a bit. The same thign happened with my Marshall Gubv'nor and my Line6 about a year ago.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
It could be the battery... but your saying this only happens on the OD channel right?

I don't know how familiar you are with the "physics" of distortion, but when you overdrive the signal, you boost the volume so high that the sound wave can get no bigger and begins to flatten off at the top, causing distortion, so when you are on your OD channel, you are already pushing the signal to the limit, so the big muff won't make things any louder. The loss of volume may be caused by the lack of mids the muff induces.

But I just read your edit, and it seems to happen on the clean channel as well. Probably just a bettery thing then.
Quote by Nerdo-sez-bo
This happens with all distortion pedals man, it's just a matter of settign the level of your pedal in accordance to the dfistortion channel. What's happening it the distortion on your amp is compressing the big muff's signal. Just drop the channels down a bit. The same thign happened with my Marshall Gubv'nor and my Line6 about a year ago.

Its happening on the clean channel too, and didn't happen with the demo model the shop used, which was also battery powered. I think its the battery though. I'll try plugging it in, i don't have enough adaptors to go around at the moment, i need more hehe.

edit: plugging in to the mains has increased it to a point where the volume is a little higher with the cyclone, which is a pretty high output guitar, it still doesn't seem quite as loud as the one in the shop did. then again, i used it in the shop with a PRS SE EG which wasn't as high output. so i think its just the combination of guitar, pedal and amp and the way i'm using it.

thanks for the help anyway

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 6, 2008,