Page 1 of 5
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/hughesandkettner/

whether is the screaming triamp mkII or the versatility of switchblades and trilogy. if you own or have used these amazing amp, or simply because your interested in getting one. feel free to join us.

Last edited by kckyle at Jul 6, 2008,
Played a 20th Anniversary at my local guitar shop once. Quite impressed. Considering getting a Statesman loaded with 6L6s.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I tried the Switchblade combo at my local music store, and it made a Epi Sg Special sound like a Gibson i swear. Truly epic sounding overdrive amazing cleans. The only downside was the price
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage
i had a choice between a spider and a hughes & kettner. damn i regret buying the spider.
oh yes.... yeah the price is quite a turn off. BUT!!, good news because you can find MINT CONDITION ones for alot more affordable price. i saw a 50watt combo for 800 last time i check. thats the same price as the line 6 spider valve, but its 1000 times better.
My band practices in a music school/recording studio, and the only half decent amp they have is a Hughes and Kettner Vortex, solid state, but it actually sounds quite nice, and with a nice valve distortion pedal through it it sounds amazing.
Brilliant amps, pity none of my local shops carry them anymore. I almost ended up getting a 20th Anniversary Edition Tube, but went with my Mesa instead.
Quote by kckyle
never used a solidstate hk before. are they at least better then most solid state out there?

Well its miles better than any other SS I've played (apart from maybe the Flextone) and the cleans are actually quite nice, it's surprisingly loud as well. I wouldn't class it as near valve, I'd still rather practice with my DSL, but out of this, a Randall SS halfstack or some old Yamaha modeling amp, its definitely the HK.
I had a Matrix combo (SS) before I got my Laney and I really liked it, far better than any other SS I've played. Kicked the crap out of Cubes IMO.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I love my 400 watt H&K 4x12. I've had it for about 10 years and it sounds HUGE.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i'm seriously considering the Switchblade. Probably in Head form. Will have to make a couple more trips to my music store to go try 'em out. Lovely tone and such versatility!
one thing you gotta watch out for is the delicate midi controlo, their fairly easy to be damaged. your good as long as you dont jam the plug into the back of the amp.
Quote by kckyle
400 watt....do you even need that much power lol
It's 400 watt 4x12 cab, not amp. lol
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
There's an older model TriAmp at my local store which I'm going to try out next time i'm in there. It looks sweet.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Van Noord
It's 400 watt 4x12 cab, not amp. loll

oh i though u have a half stack loll, that's cool. I'm thinking about getting a hk cab but i don't think I'll ever need that much power. sure the tone will sound better but the versatility of dragging it around and the space it takes up....SHEESH
Quote by jxljxl
There's an older model TriAmp at my local store which I'm going to try out next time i'm in there. It looks sweet.

the mkI? i found couple of them heads on ebay going for around 1200. they supposed be better at high gain and classic rock comparing to the new mkII, which is the alex lifeson model.
I think its selling for about £600 for the head and cabif I remember correctly, I'm not certain though.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl

Do it, a mate of mine has one and he says it's amazing.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
600 for the cab and the head? that is a really sweet deal lol. but when the time comes to change tubes......omgzz you are so screwed. the thing has like 15 tubes, which is gonna cost you over 200usd, or 100 euro
you must all now bow to your new God

i'm considering the Switchblade as my next amp, i've played through it and with a bit of tweaking you can get it to sound very nice. used you can find them for $1000 which isn't too bad.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i'm talking about the Combo version, i want a combo so i can take it with me if i ever go somewhere.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Can the switchblade do RATM , randy rhoads , RHCP?
epi les pual custom
ad15vt > for sale
valve jr head and cab
bad monkey
are these amps european amps that are super hard to get in the US, because i have heard a lot about them and really don't know much about 'em
Quote by kckyle
oh i though u have a half stack loll, that's cool. I'm thinking about getting a hk cab but i don't think I'll ever need that much power. sure the tone will sound better but the versatility of dragging it around and the space it takes up....SHEESH
Meh, I've got three 4x12's. Not a big deal at all to lug around. Remember, a hundred watts is a hundred watts, no matter how many speakers it's screamin' out of.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I'm definitely considering getting a statesman (the EL84 one). I unfortunately couldn't try it out, but it has all the features I need. Plus, the price wasn't too bad - $1200 - so I'm planning on trying it out next time I go back to the store.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by sebisbest
Can the switchblade do RATM , randy rhoads , RHCP?

yep. the clean channel has a very tingling vox like clean. i would know i used to own a ac30. the lead and ultra channel can get you alot of gain. while the crunch channel sounds like ac dc tone. but if you tweak around you can discover a whole lot more tones.
Quote by ironman1478
are these amps European amps that are super hard to get in the US, because i have heard a lot about them and really don't know much about 'em

yes they can be a pickle to find. so far i came across a duotone in Sam ash at time square. but when i visit other locations they never even heard of the brand lol. it is a lot easier to get them outside of US. if you're planning on testing out one you're pretty much out of luck. but if you want to get one. you're best chance is ebay, they are pretty rare compare to Marshall mesa and vox.
Last edited by kckyle at Jul 10, 2008,
Really think the switchblade can sound stellar. But I have also seen alot of them in for repairs.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
as matter of fact mine is in shop right now lol, but nothing is wrong with the amp, is the foot switch that is acting up
Page 1 of 5