My birthday is on the 1st of August, and my parents are asking me what I want, and I've told them I was thinking of a new amp (tube), but I'm not 100% sure on what to pick... Maximum of about £400, because I may buy it with my own money after my birthday. I've heard great things about amps like the Fender Blues Jr. , Laney VC series and Peavey's ValveKing series, but I don't really know what I want, having had next to no experience with tube amps. I play a mostly blues (SRV, Buddy Guy etc) and classic rock (Led Zep, The Who) and occasionally some Metallica and stuff. At the moment, I'm using a Marshall MG50DFX which has served me well in the 3 or 4 years I've had it, but I think it's time for a change. Could anybody point me in the right direction?
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
I would get the Blues Jr. if your mostly doing blues and hard rock. The Peavey is mainly for metal, and you say you only play Metallica a bit. Get the Blues Junior and maybe a pedal, I say.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I would get the Blues Jr. if your mostly doing blues and hard rock. The Peavey is mainly for metal, and you say you only play Metallica a bit. Get the Blues Junior and maybe a pedal, I say.

Aye, I've got a tubescreamer which will give it a kick up the arse Will 15 watts be powerful enough at a gig?
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
15watts will be about the same volume as what amp you've got now, just with a much nicer sound
I'm not sure when it's coming out, but I think an Orange Tiny Terror combo would do you well.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
From what I have heard, Fenders are overpriced by you. (Hell we think they are here in the US so even worse by you). I would suggest you check out Laney's, there is a great Laney thread that should be informative. Also if you can find a Traynor YCV 40 that would be worth a look for what you want to play. Not sure on the metal out of it. I didn't take it there when I tried it but covered the other stuff you mentioned very well. I always recommend you look used to get much more for your money. Good luck.
Yeah, I would go for a used amp if I got a good deal Yeah, Fenders are overpriced here because of what it costs to import them, but since Laney's are made here, they're cheaper than going Fender.
Quote by Atomic_Assault

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by SG thrasher
Are you willing to go used?
If so a Laney VC50(It's very different from the VC15/30) would be good for you, It's a 50 watt combo version of the Laney VH100R head and you can pick them up for about £250-300 on ebay.

I am backing this post up.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Laney all the way
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100