I've just started my driving lessons and my instructor said i am making good progress, so im thinking of buying a car to get as much practice in as possible. But i have NO idea where to start.

Im a 17 year-old male so i know insurance is gonna be a pain in the ass. I need to know what kind of size engine im gonna be looking at to keep insurance/car price down. I was thinking of a VW Golf 1.2 as i like the look of that car. Am i gonna have to go on confused.com or something to see what i will be looking at cost-wise?

All advice is appreciated.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Make sure it's a 4-door, liability insurance will be cheaper because you're also liable for the passengers and 4 doors means that paramedics can get to them faster and thus reducing the risk of death in the event of an accident.
Reliant Robin
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Golfs from around the 1995 sort of age are among the most reliable cars around, cause this is before VW started sacrificing quality control for cost-cutting
Of course, i'm biased, because i have a 1995 Golf, that i bought for £400 (80,000 miiles on the clock) but thats cause i helped an old lady move stuff out of her house, then offered that much for her car
Drive me home Jeeves
i can't be bothered to drive. too expensive to run now. and i have no idea about cars, sorry.
Quote by PeffinGee
If there were death penalties for pedophiles, half of UG will die

www.myspace.com/fr3ddi30

A SAILOR'S GRAVE FOR ME
ford fiesta? 200 model 1.25 lire engine and cheap insurance
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Expect around £1500 fully comp at the cheapest
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I'd get a Polo over a Golf with that engine size, it will barely crawl anywhere and the insurance group for the Polo is lower.
That said, my first car is a monster. :
I've got a saxo 1.1 litre, bit chavvy, but it's light and runs well. Insurance group 1 I think.
My friends have VW Foxes and Polos, and Peugeot 306's, so have a look into those.
If you can find a Peugeot 306 1.1 litre, they're cheap and brilliant cars. Plenty of room.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
4 doors
not a racer reputation car ( such as gay ugly civic )
something reliable
and used car ofc , not over 3k
I just bought a 1.8 civic. The car didn't cost too much, but insurance is a PAIN.

Love the car, though. Great on gas

Quote by David w
Can't beat a Rover 25!

Only if you're lucky enough to find a Honda engined one. Otherwise don't even try.

A Pug 306 1.1 ... You won't be going anywhere fast. I can tell you that little.
IIRC they didn't make that many of them either, thankfully.
I just got a quick quote for a 3 door car I was considering buying. On just third party, fire and theft cover...cheapest was £1600/year. Considering the car is only worth about £250-300, I really don't understand this.

Jesus christ.

EDIT: Yes, I'm male 17-25
Quote by Mazzakazza
I just got a quick quote for a 3 door car I was considering buying. On just third party, fire and theft cover...cheapest was £1600/year. Considering the car is only worth about £250-300, I really don't understand this.

Jesus christ.

EDIT: Yes, I'm male 17-25

All the idiots in our age bracket that decide to drive like lunatics bump our premiums up, so don't expect a miracle...I'm waiting until im 19 to get my fully comp premium on a Volkswagon Polo down to £1100 (first year, then 25% no claims after 1 year I think)...and my parents are paying up to £1000 for the car...

Try DirectLine for a quote, they are the cheapest I've found for young drivers.

edit: Also consider taking Pass Plus if you can find an insurer that takes it, most accept it if you've got it within 12 months of passing your test
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.
All the idiots in our age bracket that decide to drive like lunatics bump our premiums up, so don't expect a miracle...I'm waiting until im 19 to get my fully comp premium on a Volkswagon Polo down to £1100 (first year, then 25% no claims after 1 year I think)...and my parents are paying up to £1000 for the car...

Try DirectLine for a quote, they are the cheapest I've found for young drivers.

edit: Also consider taking Pass Plus if you can find an insurer that takes it, most accept it if you've got it within 12 months of passing your test

Ahh, thanks for that. I'll check it out. I don't have my full driving licence yet, but I expect to pretty soon (Within a couple of months, passed my theory already). Maybe I can get my parents to lend me some money, and pass plus might help, though I've heard a lot of insurers don't take it into account at all?
My dad was saying that VW's have a low resale rate so that might be a good way to go.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Mazzakazza
Ahh, thanks for that. I'll check it out. I don't have my full driving licence yet, but I expect to pretty soon (Within a couple of months, passed my theory already). Maybe I can get my parents to lend me some money, and pass plus might help, though I've heard a lot of insurers don't take it into account at all?

Unfortunately that's true, but if you find one that does it may help out just enough, if you consider doing it find an insurer that takes it first and work out what their discount would do for you.

For some reason, you can get insured on your provisional for less than a full licence, probably because you have to be accompanied by an adult when you drive...I can't remember who exactly it was, but on provisional I got around £800 third party fire & theft on a 1.0L Nissan Micra...I'll try remember who it was...
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
My first car was a Corsa. then i wrote it off within a month. Steering column snapped. I had a year outta my next car, a Nissan Micra. Reliable as hell! 1litre engine. cost you about £4-500 for a decent one. Check out quinn direct for insurance. really good