Ok Ive been playing guitar for about 10 months. I have bought the rock house beginner guitar dvd and its fine almost done with it. umm im like at lesson 22 of 27, I have everything I need a guitar, amp, accessories, metronome and even guitar pro. I can play like a stone by audioslave, the red by chevelle, brain stew by green day all the way through and me and my drummer mess around and make bits and pieces of original songs. I also know some riffs and pieces of different songs. But i dont feel confident in my guitar playing I still feel like if i dont play for a day ill forget everything and suck even worse than i do now. Do I need a teacher or maybe just to come up with a practice routine. I really dont know where to go. Sorry if a bunch of ppl posted this already but i really dont know what to do.
My gear

Epiphone LP Standard in Trans Blue
ESP LTD F50
Line 6 Spider III 120W
I still feel like if i dont play for a day ill forget everything and suck even worse than i do now.

That's always how it is. If you don't practice, you go backwards.

Do I need a teacher or maybe just to come up with a practice routine.

I'd go for the practice routine, but I've not had a good experience teacher-wise so I'm biased on that one.

me and my drummer mess around and make bits and pieces of original songs

Record it (doesn't matter about quality, a mobile phone or £10 microphone'd probably do) and if you like what you hear, you're on the right track. A cheap method for listening to yourself that I use is an adapter for PC line-in sockets. Plug your guitar into the back, record on Audacity (google it) and play back.
you should come up with a practise routine. inlcuding new songs you have learnt, scales, chords and teqniques (sp?)

a guitar teacher would deffinetly mean you would develop faster and also means you wont learn anythign wrong or skip important stages out.
agreed with croatoan. a teach can teach you all the theory in the world. but they cannot teach you your technique. they can show you what might be easier and what not, but whatever feels comfortable to you and to your playing style is what you need to stick with. just keep playing. dont make it out to be a struggle, think of it as an obstacle in your way that you need to overcome. you will feel comfortable eventually. the more you play, the more you will know about gfuitar, and the more comfortable you will feel.
Mopmaster,

we did record some stuff on a crappy mp3 player and my friends drums sound horrible on it, we recently got a hold of a digital camera and it records awesome but as far as the earlier stuff we did we only remember like 2 to bits the sounded good out of the 3 we did. I do have a routine somewhat which consists of

Two Finger exercises I found in UG

Running through the first 3 pentatonic scales

a bending exercise

then hammer ons and pull offs which im heavily focusing at now

then just play songs i like to play

I think i need to build a better routine and make use of the metronome which i really dont use. I know some theory because i took band in high school but i played the trumpet and french horn so i know basic general music theory.
My gear

Epiphone LP Standard in Trans Blue
ESP LTD F50
Line 6 Spider III 120W
Try to find Peter Fisher and/or Paul Hanson books. Those will help you keep in the right track, as well as developing a good practice routine.

Additionally (and as far as I'm concerned, most importantly) get a teacher that will understand what your goals are.

[]
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
lance09301 a teacher can help you with technique, they stop the bad habits a student may have developed that can later turn into a big problem if a student it for example may be grabbing the neck wrong you can develop into a problem with the hand a teacher is a very good thing the teacher cant teach you how to express the music you play or how to play it with feeling but they can defiantly help with technique the feeling part is a different story
Yep, I know the feeling of this dude. It happened to me when I started, and I didn't feel very enthusiastic about guitar. But I just kept trying, every day, and I tried loads of different techniques. Once I could do some new things, I could start playing some more advanced songs. And also, don't get down watching amazing kids on youtube who seem unnaturally good, 'cus they were useless once too

Just keep going, it sounds boring to say it, but honestly, if you just keep practising new songs, and tightening up old ones you'll just keep getting better.

Steve Vai was once a boy who struggled to play basic chords, look at him now Don't give up, just keep on playing.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09