Hey guys, I was just wondering about this. For heavy metal how does it sound with a low output pickup in the bridge? I heard of EVH doing it or something and it might give more clarity, but will it lose bass?

I'm asking cause i'm gonna go to GC soon and might wanna replace the high output bridge pickup in my g400 for a low output one if the price is right. So any recommendations and info? If a low output passive pu wouldn't be good then i might just get emg's or something lol.

Oh and also its not like i need the pickups to overdrive my amp since it can handle metal on its own.
If I were you I wouldn't put a low output pup in the bridge for METAL. It would actually be TOO bassy, you wouldnt really be able to distenguish the changes in pitch with all that bass and distortion. If I were you, I would just get a good Pup for the neck, maybe a medium output one.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
If I were you I wouldn't put a low output pup in the bridge for METAL. It would actually be TOO bassy, you wouldnt really be able to distenguish the changes in pitch with all that bass and distortion. If I were you, I would just get a good Pup for the neck, maybe a medium output one.

wat.

If you want more clarity but still want to play metal get something that's "medium" output rather than really low.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Epiphone pickups aren't that high output, actually.

Artists that do this prefer to use standard pickups rather than overwound high output ones. Van Halen uses a Gibson PAF rather than, say, a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

George Lynch is like that, too. He used to use the strongest pickups he could find. Now he has his own signature pickups, which are closer to traditional Gibson PAF's.

So they may not be metal-oriented pickups, but they aren't special low output pickups either.
Quote by sashki
Epiphone pickups aren't that high output, actually.

I'm not using the stock pu's i have some gfs power rails in the bridge.

So i guess the consensus is some medium output pu's like gibson PAF's? Do you think burstbuckers would do the job?

Yeah i like to play lamb of god stuff a lot, so I guess i should look at those 59's too.
I have two guitars, one with D'activators and another (SG) with SD pearly gates and SD alnico II pro.

D'activators are high output and sustains well while the SDs are vintage and they don't sustain very long but do have more clarity and a bit brighter. I haven't heard the medium outputs but I suspect they'll sustain longer than the vintages.

Playing the songs which is a mixtures of metal, hard rock, and soft rock I find myself switching guitars.

When you have only one guitar it's rough to pick pups for different genres but if you only play one genre then no problem.
hm, not sure about LOW output pickups.. but i do really enjoy using medium output pickups for metal.

i suppose it wouldn't be terrible since you're using a peavey XXX and badmonkey.. but you also don't want to be constantly compensating with the pedal or the gain knob because of a weak signal.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
First and foremost, don't get a pickup because of its output, get one that has the tone you want (obviously).

With that said, Kivarenn has a good point, most medium output pickups have enough power for metal, and yet have more clarity/can clean up better than high output ones.

You could look at the Dimarzio Norton or the Breed Neck in bridge position.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
First and foremost, don't get a pickup because of its output, get one that has the tone you want (obviously).

With that said, Kivarenn has a good point, most medium output pickups have enough power for metal, and yet have more clarity/can clean up better than high output ones.

You could look at the Dimarzio Norton or the Breed Neck in bridge position.

Yes! for guitarists who want to get an invader, X2N, or emgs, i usually ask them:

Do you want loud tone? or do you want good tone?

the next pickup config i'm angling for in my 7 string are dimarzio.. air norton in the neck, Tonezone in the bridge.

EDIT:

i just had a thought, if you're bent on low output.. you could try wiring your pickup differently.. in phase i think would be the right way for a quiet sound.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Kivarenn82

EDIT:

i just had a thought, if you're bent on low output.. you could try wiring your pickup differently.. in phase i think would be the right way for a quiet sound.

Isn't it Out-of-phase?

Anyway, that will give you a quiet, kind of 'restricted' tone if you ask me. I think lower output pickups will be better.

The reason Mark Morton has '59's in his sig guitar is cos he likes to play blues and country when he's not touring. '59's are also based on PAF pickups, and Gibson used those in their Les Pauls, flying V's, but also in their ES jazz guitars. They can do it all.

What a lot of players have is a hot pickup in the bridge position, and a lower output one in the neck position, to switch between clean sounds and t3h br00talz METUL.

I think neck pickups sound great for bluesy stuff. If you've kept the stock epi pickup in the neck position, it should do the job pretty well.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by sashki
Isn't it Out-of-phase?

Anyway, that will give you a quiet, kind of 'restricted' tone if you ask me. I think lower output pickups will be better.

The reason Mark Morton has '59's in his sig guitar is cos he likes to play blues and country when he's not touring. '59's are also based on PAF pickups, and Gibson used those in their Les Pauls, flying V's, but also in their ES jazz guitars. They can do it all.

What a lot of players have is a hot pickup in the bridge position, and a lower output one in the neck position, to switch between clean sounds and t3h br00talz METUL.

I think neck pickups sound great for bluesy stuff. If you've kept the stock epi pickup in the neck position, it should do the job pretty well.

whoops i was thinking of the wrong thing altogether, not to do with phasing, but actually wiring them in parallel as compared to the usual "in series".
I like the clarity of low to medium output pickups. There has been alot of heavy music made with lower output pickups. You can always boost the signal. Some just have the idea that EMGs solve all problems and tons of gain is always the answer.
i vote with the EMG`s, you can`t beat them for metal

i have a Breed in the neck of my fender and for metal... not that great

also tryed Rockfield fat ass in a WMD Warbeast, it was good, but still no EMG 81.

i havn`t used THAT many pickups, but from what i have used, EMG`s own all. the 81 is killer, so clear and bright and just rips your face off.
Ok guys so back from GC, i got a burstbucker pro and it sounds great(not sure worth price tag yet lol). I tried one of those epi prophecy les pauls with EMG's in it through a JSX and it was a bit lacking in clarity which could be due to a number of factors. But anyway i just installed the burstbucker and after playing with it in my g400 for 10 minutes it sounds nice and creamy and very beefy and makes my tone a little more natural and more similar to LoG's.

So anyway thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!