I'm a DIY-er who is building a strat for myself. I have a '93 MIM Fender Stratocaster body, and originally had some extra tremolo strings laying around, so I fitted five on without thinking much about it.

I've been reading and heard that (logically) reducing the springs creates less tension and gives a fuller tone to the sound of the guitar. I've also read that three springs is ideal, but I wanted to make sure that was correct before I did any modding again.

I've been playing blues, rock, and jazz for about 6 years, that's the kind of sound I'm going for. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

P.S. Didn't see any other threads on this but if I missed it feel free to redirect me, I won't be offended.

Thanks!!
i haven't noticed much of an effect on sound, mostly what the number of springs effect is the action of the tremelo system, more springs=stiffer action and vice versa. If the tremole is blanaced properly the tension should be about the same.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^This. When I didn't have my trem blocked I used four or five for tuning stability and because I wanted the bridge flush to the body.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
so do you want the bridge tight and easy to keep in tune, without thinking much about it?

or

do you want it loose and floating, easy to "trem" but harder to keep in tune without proper setup? the thinking mans bridge

my old MIM strat is flush.
my MIA strat floats.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have locking tuners and don't have much of an issue with tuning, I'd like a little less tension than what I have now to execute better bends, and a wider tremolo vibe would be nicer too.

I've only had to lightly tweak the tuning in the last couple of weeks, and I play a couple of hours most days. I guess I'm not worried about tuning issues until they reappear. I have a medium string gauge; if I remove springs and tuning goes haywire I'll just put them back.
If you want less tension so strings are easier to bend then you need a lighter gauge of strings. The trem and it's springs have nothing to do with string tension, that all depends on the scale of the guitar and the gauge of the strings. If you want a lighter feel on the trem with less springs will help that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
if you leave it with 3 springs, then, try a "V" shape.

lube all contact points, and adjust the trem screws getting a good balance.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Ok, I think I'm going with 3, but I'm not sure on placement. Also not certain what your "V" shape is with three springs.
yeah it's actually like this..... \l/ sometimes called a V shape.

you can do the three like this.. lll

the V pulls tighter, fyi.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62