I'm a DIY-er who is building a strat for myself. I have a '93 MIM Fender Stratocaster body, and originally had some extra tremolo strings laying around, so I fitted five on without thinking much about it.

I've been reading and heard that (logically) reducing the springs creates less tension and gives a fuller tone to the sound of the guitar. I've also read that three springs is ideal, but I wanted to make sure that was correct before I did any modding again.

I've been playing blues, rock, and jazz for about 6 years, that's the kind of sound I'm going for. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

P.S. Didn't see any other threads on this but if I missed it feel free to redirect me, I won't be offended.

Thanks!!
I couldnt comment on the 'fuller tone' bit, sounds a bit voodoo but I mean you have to use the correct amount of springs to match the tension of the strings, if you using mega heavy strings use 5 if you use lights just use 3 springs.

If the trem only pulls up a little bit with string tension use 3 springs and adjust the trem claw.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man