hi looks like i can spend some money on a good amp in near future and i play at home and i play metal mostly...i now have a roland micro cube amp but im starting to dislike it...i play at the lowest volumes possible even with my micro cube so is it a clever idea to buy a tube amp for my bedroom? i will really never crank it up..what should i do? put a distortion pedal maybe in front of a 5 watt tube? please help
well, at low volumes the benefits of tube amps are practically cancelled out. I think the only affordable tube amp suitable for bedroom practice would be the blackheart killer ant, which is something like 0.5 watts - but still it'd be pretty loud i'd imagine.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
my vk112 has 50w and i play fine with a bad monkey pedal in the bedroom, just not past 3 or so...gets a good metal tone...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
Quote by primeguy31
my vk112 has 50w and i play fine with a bad monkey pedal in the bedroom, just not past 3 or so...gets a good metal tone...

how loud do you play? My Laney VC30, with 2 of the EL84s removed, making it run at 15 watts, is still way too loud for bedroom use with the volume at 2..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
what you guys cant play a real amp, what the hell is going on with the world.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
My Fender Blues Junior is all tube (15w) and it is great for the bedroom. I can get about any sound out of it using my AX30G and for blues I just plug in with a Tube Screamer. It is loud without overwhelming everyone else in the house.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
how loud do you play? My Laney VC30, with 2 of the EL84s removed, making it run at 15 watts, is still way too loud for bedroom use with the volume at 2..

bone-stock amp w/ pedal, and volume around 2 or 3...past that i gotta watch out the windows for cops and wear earplugs...

just kiddin, i dont use earplugs...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
you should probably stuck with what you have
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by higherworlds
what you guys cant play a real amp, what the hell is going on with the world.

hey, i was finally able to buy a vk thanks to uncle sam's bonus check, lol
got a wife and 3yr old, cash is a little hard to come by....
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

im in the same situation...only i play in my apartment living room...no gigs...ive had solid state, tubes, and now my final setup and what i have now blows away anything else ive used.....i can get cool stereo effects and its plenty, plenty loud..but sounds killer at low volumes so i dont bother the neighbors...plus i can record and play with headphones for late night...or those early mornings...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Bedroom sizes can change. i live in a kinda small apartment and really cant and dont want to open at the same time. what should i do?? i really am confused...
maybe just buy a decent SS amp, cause to be honest low wattage tube amps wont get a decent metal sound. Maybe check out that vox pocket amp metal thing. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/amplug/
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
I play fine with my amp. I usually keep it at vol 2, but when I'm alone I put on my earplugs and go to vol 5
its not about my sensitivity for volume we have neighbours and they can complain if i get too noisy....so ss amp would be better for low volume distortion? i can buy a pedal..
Quote by primeguy31
bone-stock amp w/ pedal, and volume around 2 or 3...past that i gotta watch out the windows for cops and wear earplugs...

just kiddin, i dont use earplugs...

You should.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I play at about 4 in my bedroom with my 85 watt all tube fender twin reverb. I guess it really depends what your parents think but I think 5 watt tube should be good, and you will be able to have it loud enough to have it sounding decent. Now I don't know what kind of music you play but I would recommend getting something like a Tubescreamer over a Distortion unless you play metal.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
i use a valve jr with a metal muff, at low volumes when its still clean sounding, it sounds great with the metal muff.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
It's really about the money. I'm fine with my Valve Jr 5 watter, but i'd really rather have something like a Fargen Mini plexi mkII, but it will set me back about $1700. There are quite a few low watt amps out there perfect for bedroom practice. How perfect depends on your wallet.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by AthenasGhost
I play at about 4 in my bedroom with my 85 watt all tube fender twin reverb. I guess it really depends what your parents think but I think 5 watt tube should be good, and you will be able to have it loud enough to have it sounding decent. Now I don't know what kind of music you play but I would recommend getting something like a Tubescreamer over a Distortion unless you play metal.

just sold mine, so i can relate that a twin reverb at 4 is loud as f@$^! but damn did it sound good
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
why don't you like your Microcube?

steven had a good idea, you might just want to get a POD with some good studio headphones to play with. don't be intimidated, you can plug in your microcube into it as use that as a speaker, or get a good pair of studio monitors.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by timi_hendrix
You should.

actually i almost never crank it that high, my 3yr old is almost always home...2 or 3 tops with everyone else in another room is about it...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

Quote by ugmung
why don't you like your Microcube?

steven had a good idea, you might just want to get a POD with some good studio headphones to play with. don't be intimidated, you can plug in your microcube into it as use that as a speaker, or get a good pair of studio monitors.

i will look into other possibilties after getting this cheap behringer eq pedal from a friend.
Dude you really need to stop making threads, you have like 5 all related to the same thing. Its not like it hasn't been answered and it can be found if you used the search.

If you want tube and low wattage, get a Krank Rev Jr. which is 20W of tube. If you want SS, get something else. I'd go for a Randall if that was the case.

You said in your last thread you wanted $250 max for a low wattage high gain tube amp. You aren't gonna find one for that kind of money, probably not even used.

In my opinion, that money you spend on that EQ for your cube isn't even worth spending. Besides, doesn't it just model 7 different amps?

You need to wait and save more for a better amp.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Dude you really need to stop making threads

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

Quote by rwalby9

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i just understood that nothing in this price range is gonna satisfy me if its not even tube. thanks anyway...no more threads promise
I've got a question related to this subject...I was thinking about buying a Bugera 6260 at 120watts....but I don't gig as of now. I live in an appartment where your neighbors wall is your wall....ha, so what should I do? I want a good metal sound/classic rock sound but most low wattage amps can't handle that with good tone...which is what I'm looking for. My budget is right around what a Bugera costs soo.....

Any opinions are appreicated.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by blind.quardian
i just understood that nothing in this price range is gonna satisfy me if its not even tube. thanks anyway...no more threads promise

yeah, you have made a lot of threads lately. from what i have collected so far, you're not getting a new amp for a while anyway right? if that's the case...just do some research, and save up as much as you can.

and to the EQ. the EQ isn't going to set him back that much. and like i've been saying, he really doesn't need a new amp anyway. the Microcube is perfect for his situation and if he "upgrades" it's not going to be a upgrade at all because of his price range. the EQ should suit his needs for the time being. and the Behringer doesn't come with an AC adapter, and is noisy. so... you might want to either fix that, or get something better.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
ok thanks. i buy that eq cos its was really cheap so it wont be a loss anyway...also i read some good reviews so we'll see how it works...maybe i can get a better pedal later...