im looking for the cheapest way to record onto my laptop. it would be a single mic in a room basically for recording practice and rehearsal to go over later. im not looking for a "demo quality" recording at this point as i have a desktop with xlr and 1/4 inch inputs for when i wana use that.

with my last band we did this through the guitarists PA then sent the line out to the tiny (1/8"?) mic port on his stock sound card, then to audicity for recording. but we still were able to use standard mics, which i want to do for this, so no computer mic, i want to be able to distinguish sounds, they just dont have to be very clear, as i an get a good mix with a bit of interesting mic placement.... if that makes sense. i want a similar setup, i just dont have the PA. i have a old mini practice amp that i was thinking might work if i use the cd/line out, or headphone jack.

basically i wana hold off on buying a $300 6 or 8 track mixing board with usb out, and have something i can throw in my backpack and use at practice to listen to everything later, and not spend a bunch.

i also have a old mbox that i cannot get to work with vista, and i dont have pro-tools so... thats where im at. its also not mine so i dont think its a good long term solution. if anyone knows how to get the mbox to work with vista and audicity or some similar, cheap or free, program.... that could be a temp fix.
there is a thing i saw the other day at Target (not ideal for musical shopping but still) that you plug a cable into and you can record onto REAPER or Audacity, w/e you use... also all sansa mp3 players have a good mic... you can upload them onto your laptop into wave format... Sansa mp3s are pretty cheap... either way cheap and easy
My Music:
Solo project: myspace.com/dermy3blkaht
Full band (iRockit): myspace.com/nj136
working on that idea... how are the recorders for ipods? that would be pretty easy setup and i would have to carry the laptop around and risk damaging it.

but that cable your talking about is what i think i was looking for at sam ash yesterday but couldnt find anything like it. is it just a standard 1/4 female to 1/8(or whatever the tiny size is) male so i could plug a instrument cable into it? that would be enough for me.

edit: where in target were they?
had a random thought... how good are the cheap usb mics? condenser ones?
the thing I saw at target was at their guitars (aka a cheap miley cyrus acoustic and some junk ones) hanging next to their junk pedals but it records pretty well and guitar cables and most mics use 1/4 size male cables, 1/8 are headphone size I believe... I don't believe iPods have digital recorders but those sansa things work well, I got bored and made a recording just for demo riffs it's posted here:
myspace.com/dermy3blkaht
and that was with a sansa mic... but using an mp3 recorder you can leave the laptop behind but using the usb you'd have to transport it and on the flip side usb recordings are better quality than mp3 ones...
My Music:
http://www.target.com/b/ref=in_se_pagelist/602-7288542-6035063?ie=UTF8&node=10825081&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=10825081&rank=pmrank&viewID=leaf&field-pricebin=&store=&rh=&page=3&fromBrowse=1

there is the link if you wanna check it out online, the brand is "lightsnake" so it may be best just to go to their website but you could hook up a mic or a guitar cable to this... it's 40 bucks and the cheapest sansa thing is 25 dollars at best buy
My Music:
i just got a condenser usb and it's amazing, do it...
My Music: