Hi.

At current I'm playing an epi dot through a fender hot rod deluxe with various cool ass effects- whammy's, delay. Hopefully, by the end of august I should run into some money and I want to upgrade my OD pedal (boss od3)- I can't get a nice enough crunch out of it.

The budget is around £150, preferably less. The bands I'm shooting for is the heavy Radiohead tracks (Paranoid Android, 2+2=5), QOTSA, At The Drive In, Refused but mainly the first two. So something with a nice, thick, heavy crunch with maybe a bit of fuzz but the ability to tweak for a more clearer sound- I'm not going for a scooped metal sound or something to shred with.

So far I'm looking at the EHX Tube Zipper, Hot Tubes (haven't found much about this, though) and English Muff'n, Crowther Hot Cake, Fulltone OCD.

Any more suggestions or things to note concerning what compliments my amp or guitar well?
well, for what it's worth, i heard the Krank Distortus Maximus is more of an overdrive than a distortion pedal. and ive heard what the pedal sounds like, it CAN be heavy, but doesnt have to be as long as you roll back the gain knob. beautiful pedal though...
Quote by lefthandman9876
vox over the top boost, im in the exact same boat and it blows all the ones youve looked at out the water, i love the ac30 tone it gets and you still get the amazing cleans from the hot rod deluxe

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5YuhxsrOM6A

120 quid roughly

That's sounding pretty good. But does it defeat the point of having a tube in the overdrive pedal if the amp is all tube? I was never sure if that was the case. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely considering the vox.
BD-2. Do it.

Or OD-3.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
maybe look for a marshall shredmaster it's kinda like a mix between a fuzz, distortion, and overdrive (jcm800 in a box), the dude from radiohead uses it
you could find some on ebay or a clone on one of those pedal building websites
I had thought about it, thanks. My concern is that its a distortion pedal (at least I assume so) and the Radiohead guitarist puts it through some solid state for his sound, so I don't know what it'll be like through a tube amp. Also, I'm not keen on paying extra for pedal just because its out of production and therefore rare.

I shall consider it though.
Quote by OffWithHisHead
I had thought about it, thanks. My concern is that its a distortion pedal (at least I assume so) and the Radiohead guitarist puts it through some solid state for his sound, so I don't know what it'll be like through a tube amp. Also, I'm not keen on paying extra for pedal just because its out of production and therefore rare.

Johnny Greenwood's Fender Eighty-Five is made of magic. How he gets those distorted sounds from it is beyond me.

Or so I hear
Quote by OffWithHisHead

i think that generalguitargadgets.com and byoc offer clones of it (shredmaster). check it out.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
that looks cool. Its a shame that they are in the US (and I don't have any soldering experience or equipment). How hard is it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I really appreciate them.
Ok, I've pretty much got a list now.

Vox Over The Top
Crowther Hot Cake
Fulltone 2 with Mosfet
EHX English Muff'n
EHX Tube Zipper
Pro Co Rat of some type.

Does anyone have anything to say on these pedals? How they work with tube amps, reliabilty, sound, anything really....