I been playing for almost 2yrs and I kind of realize that I lost the will to play

I had set goal of just playing for my self so that’s the reason I started, but then it grew into wanting to get good enough to play live.

I notice that I don’t even finish the songs I try to learn and find my self playing the same songs all the time.

I know people go thru this all the time no matter what hobby but how do I get my love for guitar back?

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Why do you play guitar?

EDIT: as in why did you start in the first place?
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 6, 2008,
Only play songs you like, and sing if you can/want to

If you play well maybe play with some other people as well?
you play major league baseball for a little relize you suck at that and then go back to what you were doing before that. haha Micheal jordan.
Well. I know I got stuck in a rut. I took some time away from it. But then I went to take some guitar lessons with a teacher who liked the same things I did, I got excited again, he taught me things, I started writing my own riffs, and I haven't gone a day without playing since.
Quote by paranoideyes
introduce her to the back of your hand.
Quote by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

Quote by Hypercat
Why would anyone play a song they didnt like?
look around for some new music that to turn you on again
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
i had the same problem but with bass ....i took a risk and decided to buy a new bass geddy lees signiture and while i was in the store the shop owner and a customer were having a bass off it was rather amazing but made me feel like i had only been playing a week..i bought the bass and went home got really used to it and loved it! i couldnt belive how nice it played and since im not that good i decided to make a extra effort to become better learning harder songs then what i usually play like yyz...and the sence of acomplishment when u manage to play something really hard is addictive!! and when u get it right you find that ur having alot of fun !! so my advice is learn harder things or buy a new instrument find the reason to get good and in the process youll find ur having alot of fun!!!
stop, take a hiatus, during this period, learn theory and find new music to listen to, when you get back to guitar you will play in a completely new way and be excited again, im talking a period of months
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I concur with Demonofthenight. You have to ask your self on why you started playing guitar. If you're goal is wanting to play live andmay not have enough skill and competence then get a private lesson, or Join a guitar club with similar interest - check out craiglist.
For myself for instance, my goal is to be able to play with enought competence so that I can jam with my 9yr kid and as a result i'm taking a guitar lesson. Guitar playing is a stress buster for me too. A refuge away from daily grind of life. Another way of bostering interest might be to attend live concerts to see your favorite guitar player.
sometimes i watch videos of the guitar players i enjoy to recapture some inspiration. also consider looking at new styles of playing to get back into it. and try writing some of your own music, that is the most enjoyable part of playing instruments for me.
you just need to be inspired again. i haven't been practicing as hard,but when my teacher started teaching me funk i felt inspired and have been practicing even more.
Quote by demonofthenight
Why do you play guitar?

EDIT: as in why did you start in the first place?

like i said just for my own entertaiment

Quote by Hypercat

dont everyone play what they like O_o

Quote by 69usefulidiot69
you play major league baseball for a little relize you suck at that and then go back to what you were doing before that. haha Micheal jordan.

I dont know if your telling me to take a break or quit (o_O")

Quote by Unrulyguitarist
I went to take some guitar lessons with a teacher who liked the same things I did, I got excited again

I just started with a new teacher but nothing. its more like i dont improve anymore

Quote by bass is bestest
so my advice is learn harder things or buy a new instrument find the reason to get good and in the process youll find ur having alot of fun!!!

I try to pick up new material to learn but nothing sticks and i end up giving up and im not th kind of person that gives up easlie < made up word

and i did get a new guitar 2 weeks ago

Quote by mosh_face
stop, take a hiatus, during this period, learn theory and find new music to listen to, when you get back to guitar you will play in a completely new way and be excited again, im talking a period of months

just got a teacher for mostly theory

Quote by Dirtideed
playing is a stress buster for me too. A refuge away from daily grind of life.

I hear you

thanks guys for the fast reply's

see what you do is find new inspiration

either try listening to new music or go to a teacher and watch them shred

i started playing once again after i saw this its as if certain things need to give u a new goal
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Equipment- Dime Crybaby From Hell
Korg PX4D Pandora

Drums- groove percussion set with zht cymbals and remo heads
Not every hobby or activity that people try is necessarily right for every person. There's no shame in losing interest. I've had varying levels of interest and motivation with my playing over the past 26 years, ranging from obsessive all day practicing to not touching the instrument for years. Right now I wake up wanting to play my guitars, so it's cool that the desire came back to me. But I'm not all that surprised by it because music is the thing I love most in this world, other than my family.
^ Yeah, very similar to me.

The one thing everyone's really looking for is permanent salvation, peace and
happiness. Mostly, everyone looks and looks everywhere EXCEPT where it can
be found -- inside yourself. Playing guitar is really just another one of those
external things. If you don't really find it in yourself, guitar isn't going to ultimately
help you. Your interest will wax and wane until you realize what you put into it is
what you get out.

Wes Montgomery said it pretty well, to paraphrase: "You know, I don't HAVE to
play guitar...."
the thiing is i love playing figuring out licks and music in general its more like im not putting as much work into it as i usetoo and i end up giving up when i can figuere out thing before i would not put it down until i master the song

If you lose interest than it is not worth spending your time on anymore..

Find something else.
well man u just shot down every idea we have given so it looks like u already made ur choice ...but the if you wanna keep playing the best thing to do is find inspiration...u probly have herd of him most guitarists have but if not paul gilbert is awesome! im a bass player and he makes me wanna play guitar
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE
check out some of his others aswell
i seen that guy before crazy speed but not my style

I think i found it

“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.”
Jimi Hendrix

so simple but helpful quote

Don't worry man I think everyone at some point or another starts to lose interest a little bit and feels like they're not improving. I've been through it several times myself.

It always helps to take a bit of a break.

Someone once told me that if you take a break for a long enough period of time...you'll remember why you wanted to play all along. It's true.
i take a break I may re string my telecaster maybe that will help

I started losing interest in playing just before I broke my arm. 2 Months later and I am gagging to pick up the guitar but I've got a week to go before the cast comes off. I'm just dying to play but I can't .
I am assuming you want to continue. It is what you do in times like these that determines where you go with the guitar - i.e. whether you get good or just can play a little. If you want to be a good guitarist keep the bigger picture in mind and focus on the long term. Be disciplined in your practice and stick with it.
It comes down to discipline and being able to motivate yourself to get a job done even when you might want to do something else.
Just think of all the chicks you can pick up with some great guitar chops.
Si
i've been playing for around 3years now and every once in a while i lose intrest and feel like im not progressing with anything and find myself getting frustrated
i find the best thing to do is take a break for however long usually like a month or so
in that time look at different styles and techniques used
come back to it resting my guitar and feel totally refreshed and probably play better than what i did a month ago

(im currently on a break from it lol =P)
you should join a band. find some friends who can play, and just get together with them and muck around with ur gear. i found that when i joined my first band it really made me want to practice more and get better.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by demonofthenight
Why would anyone play a song they didnt like?

To get laid.
Think of it this way...

Does one PLAY the guitar or WORK the guitar?

Of course, you PLAY the guitar. Working the guitar doesn't make any sence. Now, if it's starting to feel more like work, you should take a break. If you have a true passion for it, you will want to pick it up and get better, but you must resist this. Only, though, for about 2 days. Then, you can pick it up and, chances are, you will be having more fun doing it.

I take a break, generally, 3 times a year. It just starts to get boring. Then, I sit down, learn some theory, maybe listen to some Joe Satriani, and pick it up again.
make your own songs.

yes doing covers is all well and good but it gets boring.

Create.

Learn theory, make songs, you will never get bored because you will always be making riffs, and little diddies here and there, and eventually you will have a song.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by angus is god
make your own songs.

yes doing covers is all well and good but it gets boring.

Create.

Learn theory, make songs, you will never get bored because you will always be making riffs, and little diddies here and there, and eventually you will have a song.

I agree. I'd be bored to if all I did was learn other people's songs.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!