I've been playing since Christmas and I haven't gotten very serious about playing until recently. I have a book, "The Complete Rock Guitar Method" and it's helping me understand the basic music concepts like scales, chords, etc. I want to be able to read sheet music and pretty much improvise on the spot and make it sound decent. I want to be able to listen to a song and not only know where on the fretboard the guitarist is playing but exactly what notes and scales they're playing on.

I've been reading this
(http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html)
but some of the stuff is either over my head or I understand it already. Any tips guys?
Quote by pwrmax
Which part is confusing?

So far...

Cycle of 5ths
Most anything to do with chords
Triads
The triads section is basically an introduction to harmony. If you learn scale intervals, it should make more sense, as it shows what scale degrees make certain harmonies. Knowing this will allow you to create a variety of sounds that you simply cannot do with a solo line. It will also add depth to your music - my advice is understand scale intervals and how they work before going on to triads.
a triad is the first note, third note, and the fifth note of any of your scales
played all at once

circle of fifths, "starts" on C which has no sharps or flats then if you go a fifth "up" you get G, which has one sharp, and then D has 2....
you go in the other direction you get flats

this might not be correct but it helps me to see these things visually...maybe TS is visual too
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
a triad is the first note, third note, and the fifth note of any of your scales
played all at once

No, it's just any three notes played simultaneously; the scale degrees don't matter.
Quote by tona_107
hmm

*reported*
Quote by :-D
No, it's just any three notes played simultaneously; the scale degrees don't matter.

*reported*

actually it does have to be 1 3 5 to be considered a triad. doesn't it?

I mean you could have 3 notes and have it not be a triad. For instance D# E F# are 3 notes you could play together, but they don't represent a triad.

- btw im not trying to start an arguement. After reading your post and thinking about it for a few minutes, Im pretty sure a triad is specifically 1 3 5. even though you can build off of different scale degrees, the notes are still considered 1 3 5 (scale degrees based on the root of the chord).
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
actually it does have to be 1 3 5 to be considered a triad. doesn't it?

I mean you could have 3 notes and have it not be a triad. For instance D# E F# are 3 notes you could play together, but they don't represent a triad.

D E F# would be a tone cluster IMO, but what about D F# B? It's a D6 without the fifth, but you wouldn't call that a triad?

Most often you'll see the triad built as stacked thirds, but I don't believe it's limited to that kind of application.
*reported*

why would you report me? i put hmm so i could have this in my posted threads so i could reference it. was that really necessary?
Quote by tona_107
why would you report me? i put hmm so i could have this in my posted threads so i could reference it. was that really necessary?

It was spam, you could have just said "Interesting thread, I'll have to keep an eye on this". You should specify what exactly your intention is, because the post contributed nothing and I found it to be spam.
D E F# would be a tone cluster IMO, but what about D F# B? It's a D6 without the fifth, but you wouldn't call that a triad?

Well not in the traditional sense, in less you want to see the 6 as a "variable" 5th (as my jazz arrangement text does).

I guess technically any 3 notes could be considered a triad like any 2 notes are a diad. I think the deal is that the term triad came about in the common practice period. When people use the term it is usually in that context (where the 3 notes function as R 3 5). So really the person you corrected is not wrong to present it that way.

But you are also right in that any 3 notes could be considered a triad.... including the "tone cluster" I presented. I guess I would have "added" that thought rather than "correct" something that was not wrong.

Anyway its all good. I've always thought of the term triad in the context that its normally associated with. So it's not a bad thing to think about it in another way as well.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well not in the traditional sense, in less you want to see the 6 as a "variable" 5th (as my jazz arrangement text does).

I guess technically any 3 notes could be considered a triad like any 2 notes are a diad. I think the deal is that the term triad came about in the common practice period. When people use the term it is usually in that context (where the 3 notes function as R 3 5). So really the person you corrected is not wrong to present it that way.

But you are also right in that any 3 notes could be considered a triad. I guess I would have "added" that thought rather than "correct" something that was not wrong.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a correction, just a clarification; 1 3 5 is most common but it's not exclusively a triad. Thinking about it, somebody could just say that the D F# B is a first-inversion B minor which would destroy my argument anyway.
It was spam, you could have just said "Interesting thread, I'll have to keep an eye on this". You should specify what exactly your intention is, because the post contributed nothing and I found it to be spam.

isn't the point of the reporting system to help our forums and in turn help our guitarists learn more effectively. how is you reporting me helping me as a guitarist, when i'm trying to quickly reference a thread that i deem may be helpful in the future? was me writing three letters really hindering this thread to such a degree that now i will be perma-banned because I've already been banned once and have one warning. THANKS MAN.
Quote by tona_107
isn't the point of the reporting system to help our forums and in turn help our guitarists learn more effectively. how is you reporting me helping me as a guitarist, when i'm trying to quickly reference a thread that i deem may be helpful in the future? was me writing three letters really hindering this thread to such a degree that now i will be perma-banned because I've already been banned once and have one warning. THANKS MAN.

It's not helping you as a guitarist, but by the same token you didn't help anybody else learn by posting "hmm" in this thread.

You won't be perma-banned if the mods see this and now realize what your intention was, so calm down and be clearer next time.
It's not helping you as a guitarist, but by the same token you didn't help anybody else learn by posting "hmm" in this thread.

You won't be perma-banned if the mods see this and now realize what your intention was, so calm down and be clearer next time.

anyways,
you seem to know what you're talking about so, as this pertains to ts's op, do you know of any books that could be pertinent to someone in our situation, trying to explore musical theory? or do you think that the lessons on this site are sufficient if not more than i'll need to know.
Quote by tona_107
anyways,
you seem to know what you're talking about so, as this pertains to ts's op, do you know of any books that could be pertinent to someone in our situation, trying to explore musical theory? or do you think that the lessons on this site are sufficient if not more than i'll need to know.

The lessons on this site are good, but I'd recommend The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. It's available at any large bookstore, contains lots of information, has exercises to reinforce learning and also has a handy chord reference list in the back with fingerings for guitar.
The lessons on this site are good, but I'd recommend The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. It's available at any large bookstore, contains lots of information, has exercises to reinforce learning and also has a handy chord reference list in the back with fingerings for guitar.

i was actually flipping through that the other day at coles, meaning to come here and ask someone's opinion on it. thanks bra.
tona_107, I won't warn you this time but in future please try and post something more constructive than 'hmm'. Without the explanation of your intention, I would have warned you. You can also just add this thread to your browsers favourites, or subscribe to it if you want to refer to it in future.
Quote by Johnljones7443
tona_107, I won't warn you this time but in future please try and post something more constructive than 'hmm'. Without the explanation of your intention, I would have warned you. You can also just add this thread to your browsers favourites, or subscribe to it if you want to refer to it in future.

thanks and sorry i wasn't really thinking.
**** man i learned that a triad is 1 3 5 and i just assumed it was true, but i see how if its not a cluster it must be at least an altered triad? am i close?
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
GuitarMunky and mosh_face I think you are both thinking of a major triad which would consist of 1 3 5 (someone please correct me if im wrong)
Last edited by Flow of soul at Jul 7, 2008,
Musictheory.net has lessons if you read them in order its pritty easy to comprehend. It shows you a piano so you can visualize half steps and whole steps during the lesson. Its very helpfull to see this for me and I've actually been thinking about buying a used keyboard to help my guitar knowledge oddly enough.

It also has flash quizes on notes on the staff and intervals and more definatly worth checking out.