Okay I have an Ibanez RG350DX with stock Infinity pickups (2 humbuckers and a single). I'm looking to replace the humbuckers with the Emg 81 and 85. My only problem is, will these pickups work with the single coil? And if they don't, is there a pickup which works well with the Emgs?
And also, I know nothing about why passive and active pickups are different, so if anyone could shed some light on that I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
no you'd have to get a "single-sized" humbucker. basically a single coil that sounds like a humbucker. i don't know if EMG has one but seymour duncan does.

passive pickups are just metal and require no additional power. active pickups sounds better but use batteries that you have to change. too much work for me.
So I'm looking at buying the 81 and 85, plus an additional single coil?
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

Active pickups, in my opinion, produce more glassy sound and the overall guitar sound seems less dependent on the materials the guitar is made of. Most active pickups (especially EMG 81 and 85) are high output pickups and are generally not good for clean sounds. At least not as good as some passive pickups alone, or in combination with the middle pickup. Other important thing you might want to take into consideration is the fact that you will have to drill the wood of your guitar to place active pickups, because they need to be powered by a battery, and there is no battery slot in the body of your guitar. Imo you can just take some nice passive DiMarzios or S. Dunkans, the result will be a more naturally and cleanly sounding guitar still capable of producing high gain sounds.
Quote by 24fretsftw
So I'm looking at buying the 81 and 85, plus an additional single coil?

yes, unless you wanna cut out part of your guitar.
Quote by 24fretsftw
Okay I have an Ibanez RG350DX with stock Infinity pickups (2 humbuckers and a single). I'm looking to replace the humbuckers with the Emg 81 and 85. My only problem is, will these pickups work with the single coil? And if they don't, is there a pickup which works well with the Emgs?
And also, I know nothing about why passive and active pickups are different, so if anyone could shed some light on that I'd be grateful.
Thanks

I wouldn't bother with EMGs - they work best in mahogany, I wouldn't advise them for a basswood guitar. Also, you'll screw up the versatility of the RG...you won't get your inbetween sounds in positions 2 and 4 because the 81 and 85 aren't splittable.

Finally, there's the small matter of your amp. Active pickups are designed to drive a tube amp harder, they won't make any difference on the Spider due to the way it produces the sound. Pickup swaps of any kind aren't really worthwhile with digital modelling amps - they're designed for beginners therefore the assumption is that a beginner may not have all that great of a guitar. That being the case the amps are chock full of circuitry and processing to allow them to pretty much build a tone from scratch - that way they compensate for lower spec guitars but at the same time it also pretty much cancels out the benefits of havving a quality instrument. They're levellers, designed to give everyone an even playing field.

A pickup swap isn't going to be a worthwhile expense, the extra hassle of installing actives even more so. Just save your money to put towards a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay thanks man, that'll save me quite a bit of money.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

Quote by gnomieowns
no you'd have to get a "single-sized" humbucker. basically a single coil that sounds like a humbucker. i don't know if EMG has one but seymour duncan does.

passive pickups are just metal and require no additional power. active pickups sounds better but use batteries that you have to change. too much work for me.

what?
that doesn't make any sense. Actives aren't better, it's just what you prefer. and you only have to change your batteries like once every 8 months or something like that anyway. it's really easy to change a battery. and he doesn't need a single bucker or whatever they're called. that doesn't make any sense. he can just keep the single coil, passives and actives work together last time i checked.

i would rather recommend a good set of passives for all positions.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by 24fretsftw
Okay thanks man, that'll save me quite a bit of money.

There's plenty of stuff you could be getting though...if your gear list in your profile is up to date then a wah pedal wouldn't go amiss
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com