so, I want to buy a new bass. I decided on a warwick thumb fretless 6 string.

You can get this bass in either neck through or bolt on. Whats the difference?

Currently i own a hofner bass that I've been playing for 5 years.
Neck through: Neck to body is one piece or the neck runs through the body, from top to bottom of bass. Increased sustain (Although most say it's hardly noticeable) and it basically means you need new bass if you screw with your truss rod/damage the necks. A lot of people think that neck through means better quality, not necessarily true.

Bolt on: Neck is bolted on to the body and therefore is replaceable if you do some neck damage. People say it's better for slap bass as it gets more of an "oomf"
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

The only distinct advantage you can have with an NT is that you will have better fret access. However, Warwick BO basses have quite good fret access to boot. Neither is really better. NT is obviously more expensive. The difference between the two is the tone, with BO being snappier. And as ATB said you can replace the neck. However, if you damage a Warwick neck to the point where it has to be replaced, then you shouldn't play one. lol

Oh, have you TRIED the bass in question? It is pretty much the opposite of a Hofner (which I assume you have a violin bass). lol
Fret access is more to do with body shape and NT basses allow the body shape to be much more friendly to access the frets. In a NT/BO model, this wont matter, you'll have the same access on both basses.

A good BO will give you good fret access and killer sustain. I played a Bongo yesterday, sustains for ever and you can reach the E on the 24th fret with no problem at all.

Studies have been carried out on the sustain differences between NTs and BOs and a NT will have a negliable sustain difference over a BO of similar quality. However, tonally theyre different.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The thumb NT has 26 frets as well, while the BO version has 24. The BO has a "snappier" tone while the NT is more smooth. I prefer the feel of the BO, but having 26 frets (I know you want fretless but that just means the fngerboard is longer) could be handy, especially in a 6 string, you'd get a bit more range and a lot more places to play things.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Let's not forget that the Thumb BO has a totally different body wood than the NT. Having played NT's before I must say that they're totally fantastic, and if you have the scratch, well worth it. The neck feel and neck joint is just out of this world - top of the line. However, 6-string Thumbs have soapbars, and IMO they're quite "soft" and "pretty" sounding. Still Warwick, but definitely more gentle than their single coil Jazz styles.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 6, 2008,
ive played the nt, but not the bo.

2 more frets with fretless would be great. Originally it was a debate between a bongo and this bass, i decided warwick.

its a totally different tone than my hofner (violin), but id like to learn how to use it.

i play funk, jazz, fusion, so the tone will be great
Aye fitz, there's a fair bit of difference between the two- here's a quick rundown:

Bolt on- 24 frets, Ovangkol body, Ovangkol neck, Wenge fretboard, Soapbar H/H pups, 2 band active electronics

Neck through- 26 frets, Bubinga Pommele body, Ovagnkol neck, Ebony fretboard, Soapbar H/H pups, 3 band active electronics, about £1000 more than the BO

There is a fair bit of difference between the two. It's really a case of trying them out, but I've never seen the two in the same place before.
Oh, and if you're going to the used market, keep in mind that older Warwicks have 2-band EQs on the Thumb NT's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I might have to go to the used market.. these things on musicians friends are $2599.00 for 4 string and 2,999.00 for 6 string!

I've played a lot of different basses, for hours and such, but I know my Hofner like no other, and I'm use to the bass on/off, treble on/off switch and solo/rythm switch, what are 2 band (or 3 band) EQ's like?

Also, is it hard to switch from Fretted to Fretless?

I'm 16 now, and I've been playing since I was 11.
If you can't already play a fretless, I wouldn't recommend a high end Warwick as your first- remember, resale value is a significant drop in original price if you end up hating it.

2/3 band EQs simply give you a better level of control over your tone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can't already play a fretless, I wouldn't recommend a high end Warwick as your first- remember, resale value is a significant drop in original price if you end up hating it.

2/3 band EQs simply give you a better level of control over your tone.

This is true, get a cheap used fretless, or de-fret one of your own basses and practice until you're as good as you are on a fretted bass, then think about graduating to a high end bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.