Hey, i bought an Ibanez ex-series 5 string bass and i want to know if there are any songs that uses the fifth string or if it is just used for solos and stuff like that. none of the songs i learned uses it. please tell me the awnser. and if there are songs with the fifth string, what is the song?
hmm. easy slap riff- Your Columbine- Conspiracy of Thought. It will take you ten minutes to get down.

I think that song Paralyzer by Finger Eleven was done on a fiver.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Hammerzeit
Triviums Crusade album.
BTBAM is all on a 5 string.
Constant Motion by Dream Theater is on a 5 string.

Between the Buried and Me and Dream Theater are both fairly difficult.

But Korn, if you tune low enough.
Try it, I dare you!
Quote by fleajr_1412
You could try Tommy the Cat.

thats a 6 string. need that high c and low b
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
Quote by The 6th String

Les plays it on a 4 sometimes I think, and you can rework it for a 5er as well.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Primus - Shake Hands With Beed and Three Days Grace - Animal I've Become both are pretty easy of a fiver. Also all Korn songs are pretty slap on a five, but you have to de-tune to drop A I believe.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Protest the hero (fortress album)
Between the buried and me
Cannibal Corpse
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by The 6th String

Well, you don't really need the high C. Other Primus tunes: My Name is Mud, DMV, and Welcome to this World. You can rearrange tons of Primus songs for a 5-string.
If i got a 5 strings.. the first i would play..

Sea of lies ....That son is sexy as hell
Quote by fortysix&2
Les plays it on a 4 sometimes I think, and you can rework it for a 5er as well.

He plays it on a 4 all the time. There are VERY few instances where live he will play it on a 6, and even then he's not using the extra strings (Or VERY sparingly.)
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by execution_666
Between the Buried and Me and Dream Theater are both fairly difficult.

But Korn, if you tune low enough.

Korn has some tricky slap bits, let's be fair.

You can rewrite any song onto a fiver, TS. Try it. Try transcribing a song you already know so you minimise your fretting hand movement.
korn. not all of korn's songs are too hard. and dream theater you can play almost all there songs on a 5 even though they have a 6 you can use it on a 5 unless its something like one of his bass solos or glass prison. also symphony X
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
You can play every 4 string song on a 5 string... you just won't start until the 5th fret on the top string.

Rock Star by nickelback uses it... you can hear it a few times hit REALLY low. It's only about 4 seconds worth on the entire song though.
Play some RATM using the 3rd fret on the B string as the D.
Pretty fun to play Things like take the power back and such.
Quote by lordofthefood1
only Colors is on a 5 string

Sorry, but Dan Briggs has used a 5 string on all his albums (Alaska, Anatomy of, Colors) and I'm pretty sure a 5 string was used on Soul Circus and their Self-Titled (by looking at the official tabs of Mordecai and Shevanel Cut a Flip).

You can also check out the songs from the album Fortress by Protest the Hero. Arif uses a 5 string on that album.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by MustangMan311
Wrong. All five albums featured a bassist using a five string, except maybe the first.

OK, I was going off of "requires", not "the bassist used a 5-string"
sorry (or can you show me where you are required to go below the low C# pre-Colors?)
Quote by lordofthefood1
sorry (or can you show me where you are required to go below the low C# pre-Colors?)

If you had the tab books you could see for yourself. Pretty much all songs off Alaska use notes below C# quite often (except Laser Speed), Shevanel Cut a Flip uses them a bit towards the beginning, Mordecai doesn't use the B/G# string so often. Seems to me Dan Briggs uses it a lot.

Also it's not only the fact you're using notes below C#, it's the fact that the string is useful to reach more notes in one hand position.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by lordofthefood1

17th bar of Shevanel Cut a Flip from the first album, quite a bit of Camilla Rhodes from the second album, basically all of Roboturner from Alaska, and the fourth was the cover album.
"Shadows In The Deep" by Unleashed is played on a 4 string tuned to C standard, but it's very easily transcribed to a 5 string. This is a great song to work on various techniques, especially right hand endurance and string-skipping abilities. Fun to play, and it sounds br00tal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
some people don't like them but whatever.
a lot of nickelback songs are on a 5.

also, any drop d song can be reworked for a 5.
just move all notes on the e string down 2 frets and play the open e and 1st fret on the 3rd and 4th frets of the b.
hope that made sense
My favorite part of a 5-string is when playing simple 7ths, you can actually go down an octave from the 7th, to 1 string up, same fret, if you start on the E string. You can play along with tons of simpler songs by doing this but you're lower than they are.