I'm not that great with bass, so I need some help (or very basic tips) on writing a bass line for a song. Say I have a common progression, say in C of C - G - D, all strummed pretty easy. My question is, how do I write a bass line for this? Do I just pick notes that are in the C major chord, G major chord and D maj chord when the lead guitar is playing those chords in the progression and throw in some non-harmonic tones every now and then? Just some basic tips would be helpful ....
LISTEN:
A Myspace introduction to:

LEARN:
It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along. -- Maroon 5
Sticking to the root notes and using chromatic runs to get from one to the other is a very common bass trick. So, for example, if you are going from C to G you can hit C and then go E - F - F# - G and so on. Or you can stick to the chord tones, the 1st 3rd and 5th of each chord to create a little melody.
ya, you have the right idea, but if you wanted to keep it in the key of C the D would actually be minor not major. You can get a simple bass line by sticking to the notes in the chord like you said, then if you want you can add passing notes in the last few beats (or whatever) leading up to a change. throw in a catchy rhythm or riff for the chorus (or some other part) and you're ready to lay down a track.

ps another trick is to play the 7ths of the chords to make them more interesting/jazzy/blusey/dark/cool/???
i personally just go with the root note and go for some octaves, 7s fifths etc... something that sounds good with the rood note... check the bassline in the song on my bands myspace profile... it's called Instrumental (it's all the same thru half of the track tho but i think it sounds great . chord progression: G D A C)

www.myspace.com/karkoli song: instrumental
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Well, for one thing, C G D isn't in C, it's in G. You're just starting on the IV chord.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
well you can always play the root and progress with the guitarist. personally i like when the bass is playing something else but follows the root sometimes, listen to the red hot chili peppers to see(or hear) what i mean.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Well, for one thing, C G D isn't in C, it's in G. You're just starting on the IV chord.

Whoops, my bad. You're right. Thanks all for the suggestions, surprisingly very helpful since for the most part I know what was being said. Thanks again.
LISTEN:
A Myspace introduction to:

LEARN:
It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along. -- Maroon 5