Why do guitar instructors always use so much delay? I very rarely have heard a guitar instructor play (youtube, guitar lessons on guitar mag sites, etc.) without huge amounts of delay. IMHO this sounds so wimpy as if I have to hide my inferior playing skills in some washy delay cloud which makes the simplest tone sound like something more complex. The second thing that I do not get is that an instructor should want to show the viewer exactly what he is playing which is hardly possible with a 50%-mix-delay-setting. Did I mention that it sounds absolutely 80's, too?
All the music teachers - you must understand - are failed musicians :p There only teaching because they cant do anything else with what theyve spent years learning, i had a teacher who just hid behind MASSIVE ammounts of distortion all the time, it just got boring and annoying. Its just something they enjoy doing...
Well, while your right in a way; don't degrade using effects like these either. If you can play something simple and make it sound really difficult and amazing, then you must be skilled in...in the least...illusion.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
cus delay makes you sound 50x better
remember folks if your **** just slap a bunch of distortion, gain and delay on your guitar and youll be a certified instructor in no time
Quote by RRiF
Did I mention that it sounds absolutely 80's, too?

You complain about inferior guitar playing then compare it to the 80's...?
Wow.
Quote by Anthony1991
All the music teachers - you must understand - are failed musicians :p There only teaching because they cant do anything else with what theyve spent years learning, i had a teacher who just hid behind MASSIVE ammounts of distortion all the time, it just got boring and annoying. Its just something they enjoy doing...

I hope that was sarcasm. How can a music teacher be a failed musician? I believe that teachers (the qualified ones) are better musicians than your typical performer, no matter how much money he gets.

I agree that if a teacher is showing you something which doesn't pertain to heavy metal and doesn't need a specific tone, that they should use a clean tone with minimum effects (maybe reverb). But look at Joe Satriani, he did an instructional video about Modes using delay. I didn't find it annoying, it actually seemed more interesting when he played the scales and the not so exciting stuff.
Quote by Anthony1991

Don't listen to this guy becuase that is 100% not true and he is an idiot.

Not all guitar teachers are the same, TS.

so, don't generalize.
Quote by Anthony1991

Aren't you the same guy who said that another poster should "dump theory" and just "feel the music"?

A decline in your posting would result in an increase in the average helpfulness of thread responses.

TS, could you give a link to a video that you feel shows "inferior playing skills" being hidden behind delay?
Quote by Anthony1991

Yeah, Satriani sucks.
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||