Page 1 of 3
G'day everyone,

Inspired by the thread on "making it big":
It seems as if no-one on UG wants to start a band that follows trends and plays disposable junk like certain bands (ahem...) do these days.

So if you're already in a band, or would like to start one, and aim to get signed and all that stuff...what will make your band stand out?
What makes you worth listening to, over all the generic stuff that fills up the airwaves?

My band wouldn't be anything groundbreaking, but what's important to me is that we don't end up being miserable. It seems that since the dawn of grunge, all rock-oriented bands are miserable and depressed. There's nothing wrong with being sad or angry, we all are. But surely you can't dwell in self-pity all the time.

My band would have songs for all moods, from tragic to ecstatic, furious to serene. We would have catchy pop melodies, but heavy riffs, and fast solos. Imagine a pop-punk band with the whining replaced by headbang-worthy heavy-metal influenced riffing. We'd write songs about everything from specific things to the eternal questions of creation and the meaning of life, and other 'cosmic issues'. Or at least, I'd try to write that and make sense out of it...

So what would your band sound like?
And DON'T CRITICISE EACH OTHERS IDEAS. We all have different ideas of good music. Be nice or GTFO, please.
What makes my band special?

My drummer's retarded.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My band writes music from all kinds of genres...and I think we do it well and have a lot of fun with it.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
My drummer learned how to play drums from Rock Band.

He's now one of the best drummers in my town.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
My drummer learned how to play drums from Rock Band.

He's now one of the best drummers in my town.

That speaks highly of the drummers in your town.

My band is special because we have a black guy in it . Actually...he plays bass, so I guess it's really not that special at all
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

My band is special cause we don't exist.

EDIT : For me myself my thing is like a lot of others, NOT sticking to one genre. Also, liking different genres that most people would be horrified at. ie...being a metal head...but liking nu metal
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

We're called STRIPEY JACK

Oh and we dance,

not just jump around.

Dance.
SWFC
My band only exists in my head, and there's only one of my head. (The cranium one)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
my band is special because our guitarist got arrested friday
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
We play watered-down, simple, chord-heavy, unimaginitive pop-punk. And we fucking love it.

Music dosn't have to be about huge, complicated sweep solos or overdrive-drenched, chugging riffs. Music is entertainment, enjoy it.
Quote by stinger12345
That speaks highly of the drummers in your town.

My band is special because we have a black guy in it . Actually...he plays bass, so I guess it's really not that special at all

my band is also interacial, but i think we're special because.... i really dont know, everyone tells us we have our own sound. you decide

those songs dont touch on all of the styles we do, but they're good
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
We rock live...(thats what others say) and we play popular stuff...like Punk,Ska-punk...some covers that everyone knows and some of our songs.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
My band plays catchy progressive metal music without all the shredding.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
We are "special" cuz were 'Speshial! ---- A gay band.

The previous statement was a joke. Only a fool would ever take anything anyone said in this forums seriously.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
My band is special because we are a Progressive Metal band with two singers. Our lead singer is female, while our secondary singer, who also is a co/lead guitarist, does Death Growls. Name another band like that?

(Epica does not count, our female vocals are not operatic/symphonic. They are standard singing.)
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
My band is special because it doesn't exist.

Not just JUST not exist but it doesn't even exist on an imaginary level.

Beat that, ha!
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

www.myspace.com/belltowerfalls

We take from anything, from Rufio to Jason Becker to Psyopus to Andy McKee. We feel that, as the musicians we are, we love music to our hearts content. We love music with everything we've got and don't limit ourselves to a style. Check us out and find out for yourselves! We can say what we want, but if you think we are, awesome ^^

-John
We only have one guitarist, which is uncommon in my area,

I write my music influenced by Tera Melos, The Fall of Troy, Red Museum, ...Of Stalwart Fads, etc. So my riffs are insanely complicated, and I use 8 finger tapping, at some points.
Our singer is Timmy.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Rickity Pip

We play lovely happy tunes, we write songs about mario, lots of energy, and were pretty awesome.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Last edited by notsojoeyb4eva at Jul 6, 2008,
Alright my band... we play kind of Symphonic Progressive Detuned Groove Metal.

Bassist plays a weekly jazz gig, listens to Opeth and James Blunt and plays a 6-string bass.

Co-guitarist has straight A's in music theory, picks Yngwie-songs out by ear and still listens to Metallica.

Keyboardist has perfect pitch, is the Swedish Junior Champion in Saxophone, listens to no metal whatsoever and can double everything I play. He's 15.

Drummer plays the meanest double bass I know, but listens exclusively to fusion, japanese bitpop and death metal. He takes out Jordan Rudess-pieces on piano to pass time.

Me, I listen to Bon Jovi and Japanese pop and is still considered by most the premier "shredder" in the region, for some bloody reason. /pat-own-back.

So well we make kind of a strange blend of music...
We don't really stand out at all. We play typical hardcore to metalcore. Lately we've been experimenting a bit with heavier stuff like deathcore (yes we're a ___Core band, deal with it. I like the music). I think one thing that would make us stand out is we're all Hispanic from Inglewood so it'd be a hoot if we did make it. We've made a techno song that progresses into crushing heaviness here and there as well, those are always fun .
Quote by Aziraphale
Alright my band... we play kind of Symphonic Progressive Detuned Groove Metal.

Bassist plays a weekly jazz gig, listens to Opeth and James Blunt and plays a 6-string bass.

Co-guitarist has straight A's in music theory, picks Yngwie-songs out by ear and still listens to Metallica.

Keyboardist has perfect pitch, is the Swedish Junior Champion in Saxophone, listens to no metal whatsoever and can double everything I play. He's 15.

Drummer plays the meanest double bass I know, but listens exclusively to fusion, japanese bitpop and death metal. He takes out Jordan Rudess-pieces on piano to pass time.

Me, I listen to Bon Jovi and Japanese pop and is still considered by most the premier "shredder" in the region, for some bloody reason. /pat-own-back.

So well we make kind of a strange blend of music...

Crikey.

I wish I was talented...
Quote by pcell619
my band is special because our guitarist got arrested friday

the members of my band collectively have been arrested like 10, 15 times maybe. you're not that special haha
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Rickity Pip

We play lovely happy tunes, we write songs about mario, lots of energy, and were pretty rubbish.

I like your song. Is it alright it I record it with Audacity and put it on my mp3 player?
our band can't really be categorized as a single genre. if you listen to it you can tell theres metal influences but at the same time theres a lot of singing and melody. umm yea www.myspace.com/revivethelifeless
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by hug a llama
I like your song. Is it alright it I record it with Audacity and put it on my mp3 player?

Dude, thanks!

Course you can, I think your our official first fan.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Dude, thanks!

Course you can, I think your our official first fan.

ha ha the song is very funny and uplifting at the same time. If you have anymore songs I'd gladly listen to them.
It's the best.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Quote by hug a llama
ha ha the song is very funny and uplifting at the same time. If you have anymore songs I'd gladly listen to them.

Ah coming soon my friend.

Were recording again tomorrow, so watch this space!

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

Page 1 of 3