Which in peoples opinion is a better purchase? A USA standard Strat as it comes, or a MIM strat with replaced pickups? Just curious to see peoples opinions. Im not changing atm as I have a pacifica 812 which I think is a great wee guitar, but someday id love a Fender again(had a MIM strat a few years ago)!
American strats have far far far far better necks, decent pickups and generally better alder on the body. You will enjoy the feel of a stock american strat more than a mexican trust me, I've had both.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Quote by TenSteel
Which in peoples opinion is a better purchase? A USA standard Strat as it comes, or a MIM strat with replaced pickups? Just curious to see peoples opinions. Im not changing atm as I have a pacifica 812 which I think is a great wee guitar, but someday id love a Fender again(had a MIM strat a few years ago)!

go play them and see if you can justify the the mia price. if so that would be the way to go. if not the mim is a super nice alternative.
It depends on your budget, really. The American is one of what I consider the "Holy Grail" guitars, and it is definitely worth the price. But if you don't feel like spending quite so much, and you like the appeal/charm of a cheaper guitar, I can speak for the great bang-for-buck of the MIM.
_______
|||||||||||||||
If I were I'd search for some old Fenders/Squiers made in Japan. I have one, and they are really great guitars for reasonable price - superb necks (better than MIA, at least in my opinion), great wood, vintage vibe and low price. Search for Fender Squier JV/SQ series, they are the best, but later Fenders MIJ are pretty good, too.
Gotta say that if you find a MIM strat that has a good neck (and it takes some browsing to find one) then jump on it because with the money you save you can hot rod the heck out of it. I've had one for 13 years and their isn't a signature or american strat that can beat it - equal it yes but not beat it.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
ye mij are usas with mexico prices well lil bit more, i have one and its great, u could upgrade the pick ups in them as well
The rolled neck on the MIA is comfort-tacular. The pups on those are very nice too but if you don't like them or they don't fit your needs then they might not do you much good.
The Yamaha Pacifica 812V is better than an American Standard Stratocaster anyway man. That thing is HAWT!
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95