My friend is selling his Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Studio for $450, and I'm considering buying it from him. I currently have an Ibanez sz520. Which guitar would you prefer? Would it be worth getting the Elitist for $450? (I think they're around 700-800 list price, but I'm not sure)

My band plays all kinds of styles, from Pearl Jam to Led Zeppelin to Weezer to Muse... the other guitarist currently plays a Les Paul as well (actually a Tokai) and our tones are a bit off from each other, so I was wondering if they'd be more similar if I got this Elitist... or if it wouldn't make a huge difference at all. We're starting to write and record our own stuff now, which is why I'm thinking a lot about how me and the other guy will sound together.

Thanks for the input
you do realize that they are COMPLETELY different guitars. You might want to go with the les paul.
I'm not looking to replace my sz520, and I don't know how different they are because I've never played the Les Paul before. I'm wondering whether they are different enough to justify buying the Elitist in my situation, and if it's worth the price. That's what I'm asking.
Keep the sz520 till you can afford a real Gibson, epiphones are a waste of money if you ask me.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by lokster
Keep the sz520 till you can afford a real Gibson, epiphones are a waste of money if you ask me.

Not the elitist...
Quote by Ghold125
Not the elitist...

It's still an Epiphone. You can get a LP Studio for a bit less then 1k and I think that would be a better purchase.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Thank you for the advice but I have actually heard that the Elitist series are quite comparable to, if not better than, the low end Gibsons. However, I'm asking specifically about the Elitist, not the Gibson. It's not a case of me buying the Elitist or saving up for a better guitar, it's a case of me buying the Elitist or doing nothing.
i say buy it, its a really good deal and the elitists play just as good, and look miles ahead of gibson studios.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Yeah buy it. It'll sound a bit different from your ibanez, besides it's an excellent guitar at a REALLY good price.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
I say get it. The Elitist Les Paul is a good quality guitar, voiced different from your current and just an excellent guitar, especially at the price your getting it.
If you can get used to the feel, go for it. But the SZ is more like a PRS Schecter crossover, and the Paul is a different animal...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The feel shouldn't be a problem, since I currently switch between my American Tele and the SZ. Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll buy it!
Quote by lokster
It's still an Epiphone. You can get a LP Studio for a bit less then 1k and I think that would be a better purchase.

Then you think wrong. The Elitist (Standard/Custom at least; I've never actually played the Studio) is far superior to the Gibson LP Studio. Honestly, if you have ever actually A/B'ed the two guitars, there is absolutely no contest. In fact, I just went to Guitar Center today looking to purchase a Gibson LP Standard, but I couldn't bring myself to do it because my Epi Elite LP is every bit as good (if not better---I like the heavier weight of my unchambered Elite LP to the weight of the chambered Gibson LP Standards) than each and every Gibson LP Standard that I tried out (although the Gibson Standards did have better stock pickups). With that said, I'm not upgrading until I can afford the Gibson Custom Shop.

Anyway, on topic, I would recommend just trying it out and seeing if its worth $450 to you--and if you really need a Les Paul at all. This advice seems pretty obvious, but its honestly the only good way for you to make your decision.

EDIT: I will add, though, that $450 isn't a "really good deal" for an Elitist LP Studio. It's definitely not a bad deal--you aren't being ripped off, but an Elitist LP Studio would probably get about $450 on eBay (and an Elitist LP Standard/Custom in good condition will snag about $700). I just thought I'd throw that in there; the more information the better.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Last edited by FourSticks17 at Jul 6, 2008,
you do realize that there is no Elitist Les Paul STUDIO?.....i wont go for it. i'd prefer the SZ520 over it. the elitist are great guitars but from what i know, there's no STUDIO model, just Standard and Custom.

EDIT : wait, the link above says there is one. oh crap. but i cant seem to find one. still, i would prefer the ibanez SZ520 over the elitist. im no les paul fan.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Show me a site that SELLS one (could only find one with google).

The Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Studio DOES exist, in the sense that they have been produced by Epiphone in the past and you can still find second-hand copies nowadays (eBay is your best bet). To my knowledge, though, they are no longer being produced, and you would be hard pressed to find them being sold new online. Big retailers (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc.) will not have them, but there is the possibility of finding new old stock from smaller guitar shops that also sell their merchandise online.

EDIT: Typo.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
The Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Studio DOES exist, in the sense that they have been produced by Epiphone in the past and you can still find second-hand copies nowadays (eBay is your best bet). To my knowledge, though, they are no longer being produced, and you would be hard pressed to find them being sold new online. Big retailers (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc.) will not have them, but there is the possibility of finding new old stock from smaller guitar shops that also sell their merchandise online.

EDIT: Typo.

Chill, I was interested in one, not trying to disprove his point .
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Get it. $450 is a great price for an Epiphone Elitist.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Chill, I was interested in one, not trying to disprove his point .

I guess that came off wrong--the "DOES" wasn't meant as a shouting indicator but rather just to give the effect of italics (in retrospect, I should have taken the extra 5 seconds to highlight the text and hit the italics button).

Anyway, though, I was just trying to answer you as to where you could find one online (and your best shot is on eBay).

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
wow, thanks for the link, never seen one before....however the Elitist Studio just doesnt do it for me I guess. No binding and the Dots for inlays...boring. Its a high end guitar with bare bone looks??....I could never pass up a good deal though...i'd probably buy one if I had the chance..lol