I don't know if anyone else has figured this out, but if you play thrash and prefer to use your fingers instead of a pick, grow your index and middle fingernails just a little bit, put them together above the string and move them back and forth over the string. Works perfectly for thrash and all around fast licking.

Just thought I'd post this in case.
I swear officer, his nose ran into my fist and just continued on doing it.
That seems like it wouldn't work very well....I stick with getting my two finger speed up....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
tell me something i don't know :P

haha but yeah it's definitely a great technique for when you want to sorta "tremolo" pick a note, but for riffs, stick to fingers.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
wow, the name of this thread mislead me... great style nonetheless though
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
I'm not saying to grow your nails out enough to stab someone in the neck, just barely past your fingertip. And this is just a way for bassists who prefer finger over pick and yet be as fast as a pick.
I swear officer, his nose ran into my fist and just continued on doing it.
You heard this off the guy from Dethklok?

Nevertheless, a decent technique if you like using it.
signature
I tried this (I had nails for classical guitar, I compromised and cut them shorter) but I didn't like the sound that the nails make, it's kind of duller than a pick, and sounds kind of loose to me. But if you like it, go for it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
You heard this off the guy from Dethklok?

Nevertheless, a decent technique if you like using it.

Ya, I think someone just posted the youtube vid link of him using that technique.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If I'm playing under a bunch of Tremolo Picking, I prefer to hold one note instead of treming it. Like there are 4 tremolo picked notes in a measure, I would play 4 quarter notes.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
if I grow my nails long (thats long compared to what they are) it would compromise the sound for the rest of my finger playing
if you cut em real short, you can do my singlefinger technique... kinda... which beats fingernail tone, imo
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
the title of this thread led me in...... and dissapointed
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I grow my nails slightly longer, but to help strum Claypool style, get that slightly more twangy sound...works pretty good,but gotta be careful to keep the length right, or as TormentedRx said, it starts to affect the rest of ur technique
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"