I have a seperate fund for a new amp (probably a Framus Dragon or an ENGL Powerball) and I have another fund for a new guitar (a seven string or an American Standard Strat)
So I've cleared that up, don't bother saying buy a new amp or buy a new guitar because I am! Ha!
Now, I want to replace the pickups in either my Epiphone Les Paul or my Maverick F-1. I am pleased with both of their tonal options, but I want a little more. I want to make them sound the best that the guitars possibly can.
So here is the question, what pickups are the best around? I play any kind of music so I am not particularly looking for a deffinite sound or style. I just want something that sounds beautiful, if that is possible? If the best pickup has a very strong, high output and is best for metal, so be it. If it is best for blues and has a creamy tone, so be it!
What is the best pickup ever, in general?

Digitally Clean
wait till you get your new amp...and there really is no "best pick-up" it all depends on preference and styles of music
It all depends on what tones you're after, there won't be one pickup to end all pickups that will do beautiful cleans, sheer cutting distortion and everything in between. Also tone is subjective so nobody can say what is best.

Check out www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk. Their selection will cover pretty much everything you'll need.
Last edited by SG thrasher at Jul 6, 2008,
john petruccis Dimarzios. i swear to god i put one on all three of my ibanezes in the bridge position...and they are the greatest pickups..ever. they can do everything on the rock end of the spectrum and they have veryyyy distinct cleans..with lots of headroom. i LOVE them. i promise you..yo uwont be dissapointed.
Quote by HIM%(^
john petruccis Dimarzios. i swear to god i put one on all three of my ibanezes in the bridge position...and they are the greatest pickups..ever. they can do everything on the rock end of the spectrum and they have veryyyy distinct cleans..with lots of headroom. i LOVE them. i promise you..yo uwont be dissapointed.

The D-sonic right? Yea, I've heard good things about them.
Best for what. Im sure the best pickups for playing deathmetal wont be the best choice for BBking. The best pickups, guitar, amp on this site is asking for a 100 different answers.
Quote by Tackleberry
Best for what. Im sure the best pickups for playing deathmetal wont be the best choice for BBking. The best pickups, guitar, amp on this site is asking for a 100 different answers.

Anything, thats what I said in the title. It doesn't matter whether the best pickup is designed for death metal or whether its designed for bluegrass. What has the nicest tone. But maybe there is no pickup that just has a delicious tone in general, or if there is, its too hard to pin point it and determine what it sounds like.
Whats the best pickup for heavy rock then, from stylings of Deftones, Kings of Leon, Placebo, Tool, that kind of tone with a slight grunge hint to it. But also something thats tight, something adequate for the likes of Meshuggah and Mudvayne.
Budget is not really an issue as I don't mind paying a few quid. I'm curious as well.
dont buy an active pickup if you want a tight sound. if someone tells you buy emgs or the SD ones...laugh at them. the D-sonics are possibly the best pickups made in a while and get this...petrucci actually uses them....GASPPPP. its not like your run of the mill ****ty signature pickups that were created for income...not for playability...
i believe there's no best pickups, cause its all about personal preference. so i prefer Seymour Duncans over anything else. for the LP, go with a SH-14 Custom 5 in bridge and SH-2n Jazz in neck. it's my favorite combo aside from the Custom/Full Shred and JB/59.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
you should look into a pickup called the motherbucker. I only recommend it because it has an awesome name.