Well, I recently purchased a guitar kit (It came with no instructions) on eBay, and I am confused about several things.

1. It came with three potentiometers and knobs, but I don't know which ones are for tone and which are for volume.

2. It came with two humbuckers, but I can't tell which one is the bridge pup and which one is the neck pup. One of them has yellow wires and another has red ones and there are two leads for each pickup.

3. Which would be better in the longrun, a bolt-on neck or a set neck (with wood glue), or one with both?

4. The kit came with three capacitors, but after reviewing various wiring schematics, they only show two.

If you can help with any of these, I'd appreciate it.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

doesnt matter what pots are for tone/volume

i would guess that the red wires one is the bridge.

bolt on neck BY FAR

maybe they gave you an extra one? unless one is a .001 really tiny one, in which that goes on the volume pot for a treble bypass.
1. If they're all identical, it really doesn't matter.

2. If the kit was cheap, there probably isn't a huge difference between the pickups. Use a multimeter to find out the DC resistance of each - the one with the highest resistance will most probably be the bridge pickup. Of course, you might be able to tell from the wire lengths - longer wire = neck pickup.

3. What kind of neck did it come with? You can't simply glue a bolt-on neck into the peck pocket to make it a set-neck.

4. You only need two, so only use two. Keep the other as a spare.
Alright, thanks.

And another question:

When wiring pickups, do I need heat syncs for the pickups/capacitors/potentiometers? I'm not stupid and won't put the soldering gun right against it, but I'm unsure.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Quote by spartan 118
Alright, thanks.

And another question:

When wiring pickups, do I need heat syncs for the pickups/capacitors/potentiometers? I'm not stupid and won't put the soldering gun right against it, but I'm unsure.

I don't bother, and I've never fried anything. As long as you're careful, you'll be okay.
Alright, thanks.

One more: I was looking on the inside of two other guitars and noticed that they are dirty. I'm no expert, but I think this is to negate the electricity. Should I do this to the cavities in my guitar, including the pickups?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

What do you mean dirty?

They are probably shielded, and yes you should do that.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
What do you mean dirty?

They are probably shielded, and yes you should do that.

And what material would I use to do that?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
Last edited by Its Just Me at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Its Just Me

Thanks man.

One more questions:

I've been looking at a schematic for wiring pickups, and I stumbled across a bridge ground wire. I don't know what this is attached to or what it does. If someone could enlighten me, it would be mucho appreciado.

Link: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/2h_2v_1t_3w.pdf
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Quote by spartan 118
Thanks man.

One more questions:

I've been looking at a schematic for wiring pickups, and I stumbled across a bridge ground wire. I don't know what this is attached to or what it does. If someone could enlighten me, it would be mucho appreciado.

Link: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/2h_2v_1t_3w.pdf

Can anyone answer this?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Quote by LP Addict
i dont use any shielding at all, havent noticed any difference what so ever. if you wire your guitar correctly you shouldnt need it.

That's true for bedroom guitarists. But one day one of you guitars is gonna go onstage in a small bar or venue, and the guitarist will be very close to electrical wiring, lights and audio cables, and all of that'll be picked up by your unshielded guitar and spit back to the audience via the PA system as unbearable hiss, hum, and high pitched buzz.

Better be safe than, sorry, put on a condom... err, shield your guitars. Takes a few minutes and doesn't cost much. I use copper tape, but shielding paint is fine too.