is there anyway at all I can tune down to drop d with a floyd rose?

I use an ibanez rg 350dx. when I first got my guitar I didn't really know as much as I do now, and I played much more classical rock, but I've been listening to a lot of music that is played in drop d and I really want to play those songs :P

there was this little thing I saw online made by EVH that hooked onto the floyd rose, and when you flicked it, it tuned the E string to drop d, but this didn't work for "floating bridges" (I thought that what a floyd rose was supposed to be?)

is there any other way? or am I stuck in standard. I've tried to just, loosen the nut for the 5th and 6th string, tune down to D then tighten it back, but all the strings get out of wack when I do that.
you will have to retune all the strings and rebalance your trem then put the locking nuts back on.
Quote by mmjohn
you will have to retune all the strings and rebalance your trem then put the locking nuts back on.

exactly wat he said. and its a little bit of a pain
Quote by mmjohn

rubbish.
just retune and lock-up, and dont be so lazy about it. you do NOT have to balance your trem every time you change tuning, its ridiculous.

alternatively, just leave the nut unlocked if you dont need to use the bar, and just lock them when you go back to standard.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
so basically, unlock all the nuts, tune down to drop d. the change in tension will cause my bridge to dip in, and I just have to balance it out then lock the nuts back so the tension stays?

I don't think I'll be able to do this, lol.
edit: didn't see above post

so just leave the nuts unlocked when I play in drop d?
because yeah, I never ever use my trem bar.
Last edited by Frankup at Jul 6, 2008,
i think to get the bridge to stay in the same place you have to redo the springs in the back because it is a slightly different tension.. drop D would cause it to go back into the body of the guitar more,
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I have an edge III floyd rose (after doing a bit of research) and the d-tuna won't work for my bridge.
Tremol-no

/thread

I got one and it will solve all your problems and more. Pretty much its a block for your trem that you can turn on and off. Trust me you wont regret it.

If you got any questions about it just PM me I got one myself.
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Another random question...

I just got my first guitar with a FR yesterday. The guy who I bought it from showed me how to tune it.

Basically what he does is he unlocked the nuts individually and tunes 2 strings at a time. That way you don't have to retune all of your strings if you just wanted to go drop D since you only need to tune 2 strings. He does the same thing when he retunes the all strings, where he tunes 2 strings, then locks it.

Doing this ok to do?

And I've heard of FR's having lower sustain but wow, its much different then playing a beefy Schecter.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Drop D isnt hard to do, it sucks, but it isnt as hard as everyone is saying..

If you have it set right, you might even be able to drop the D with your fine tuner on the E string.

I'm looking to get a tremol-no soon, i hate my Edge III.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
i just loosen the fine tuner to get the drop D. though i'd love to get a D-tuna someday.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
a big bump but just thought I'd say that I was able to get in drop d by using the fine tuner. I can adjust from E to D and back to E very easily. It messes with the tuning of your other strings just a tiny tiny tiny bit but it works.
Quote by dark_gilbert
rubbish.
just retune and lock-up, and dont be so lazy about it. you do NOT have to balance your trem every time you change tuning, its ridiculous.

alternatively, just leave the nut unlocked if you dont need to use the bar, and just lock them when you go back to standard.

You're the one talking rubbish.

Especially when dealing with a cheap trem like the Edge 3 - leaving the bridge unbalanced puts extra strain on the already weak knife edges.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Frankup
so basically, unlock all the nuts, tune down to drop d. the change in tension will cause my bridge to dip in, and I just have to balance it out then lock the nuts back so the tension stays?

I don't think I'll be able to do this, lol.
edit: didn't see above post

so just leave the nuts unlocked when I play in drop d?
because yeah, I never ever use my trem bar.

if u never use the trem then sell / return the guitar thats what i did and i got a full refund cause the trem got all screwed p and they gave a "sweet heart" deal meaning that since im only 13 they figured that i didn't know about how hard those FR are they were nice and let me return it and got to use like $400 store credit or somin like that and bought SG fadeds
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS