I noticed that I am having some trouble alternate picking on the low E string. I just cant make the pick move as fast on the thicker strings as I can with the thinner ones. Is there perhaps some trick that I should know about or do I just have to practice picking on the lower strings more?
Just practice dude.

Also; are you angling your pick? If not you might want to try it, it might help you get more speed in your picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As stated above, angling your pick helps. Also, how you're holding the pick may be part of the problem. With heavier strings people tend to allow more of the pick to be exposed when picking and thus they "dig in" to the strings. Try holding your pick so only a tiny bit protrudes from your fingertips to eliminate this problem.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ~Carl Sagan
as opposed to them, i disagree on the pick angling. that just brings more problems in that, or some other subject (to me at least), so you pretty much should just practice more. all technique improves from practice.
how much should I angle the pick? right now I tend to keep it at a 10-15 degree angle, but I have been trying different angles lately.

also I still cant make the pick move very fast (even just hitting one note over and over), and I was wondering if I should try the practicing technique that was mentioned in the downpicking thread, I think by you zap, to speed up my pick.
Well to be honest the technique for downpicking and alternate picking is a little different but working on downpicking would probably help with picking stamina on all fronts.

If you can't move the pick very fast you might be moving too far, the thing about all the great pickers is that their movements are quite small. Try slowing down again to a snails pace and making your movements as small as possible then, once you don't really have to concentrate on what you're doing you can start speeding up again.

Is there any way you could post a video of your technique? If we could see what you're doing already we can give you much more specific ways to improve.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've always heard that you try not to "Pluck" the string but just hit it with the very tip of your pick, I don't know if that will help any but...
Quote by metal4eva_22
I noticed that I am having some trouble alternate picking on the low E string. I just cant make the pick move as fast on the thicker strings as I can with the thinner ones. Is there perhaps some trick that I should know about or do I just have to practice picking on the lower strings more?

This was also my problem so don't feel bad. I could downpick really fast and nice and alt pick metallica solos up on higher notes fine but i had trouble on rythem alt pciking only on the A and espescailly the E. Songs like Bark at the Moon and I Don't Know or song #5 on MOP cant remember the name gave me trouble. I could do it better with a pick that bends a little like a real thin one. Try that and work your way back to a thicker one over tiem if it helps.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
song #5 on MOP cant remember the name

Disposable Heroes? That is a good picking workout, especially the verses; did wonders for my galloping.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yea thats the one thanks^
TS if your having trouble on the low E string practice that one its like drumming a snare drum with your E string lol. It will be very difficult but rewarding.
Quote by TroM
Move your hand with your elbow not your wrist.

Epic fail. Movement when picking single note lines should come mostly from the wrist, the elbow is prone to tensing up and if you pick from the elbow you're more likely to end up using spasm-picking which can lead to injury and is always lacking in control.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
If I am speed/tremolo picking I hold the pick perpendicular the the string so that the edge picks the string rather than the flat edge of the pick picking it, it is easier to pick faster (unless your eddie van halen and you can just hold your arm still and twist your wrist back and forth with accuracy)
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Epic fail. Movement when picking single note lines should come mostly from the wrist, the elbow is prone to tensing up and if you pick from the elbow you're more likely to end up using spasm-picking which can lead to injury and is always lacking in control.

Uh well that's what works for me.

You sir fail to see the definition of an opinion.

Have a nice day.
Quote by TroM

Have a nice day.

Oh it works for you, wonderful, it's still not good technique and as a guitar teacher not something I would advise a student to do for the reasons I gave above.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TroM

exactly the OPPOSITE anyone who knows what they're doing would EVER tell you.
it should be all in the wrist. never in the arm.
very wrong wrong wrong. and you've been doing that for 10 years? damn.
Like I said it works for me.

Question it as much as you like.
Quote by TroM
Like I said it works for me.

Question it as much as you like.

No one's questioning it. They are simply clarifying bad advice from good advice so that the TS doesn't get the wrong idea. Regardless of your "opinion," picking with your arm is generally a mistake that beginners make and you shouldn't be blindly recommending it if you don't want to understand how the biomechanics of your hand/arm works.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by TroM

Have a nice day.

Alt picking fromt he elbow creates tension. The wrist is much better.
You do fail hard.

TS disregard anything trom tells you he has no clue what hes doing.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by Imetal
I've always heard that you try not to "Pluck" the string but just hit it with the very tip of your pick, I don't know if that will help any but...

Yeah, the best thing to do is have the thinner part of the pick hit and go over the string, it takes a little less time than hitting with the middle of the pick.
Quote by TroM

i too did this for a long time. then i started having carpal tunnel issues due to tension which caused me to redo my picking technique. i'd NEVER go back to the old way. the proper way of doing it is SOOOOO much easier it's unreal. i can play a million miles an hour non stop for hours with no issues/fatigue/pain at all.

disposable heroes is indeed excellent for your alt picking practice. i believe if you can do that song accurately you can do just about anything.
Do not pick with the edge of the pick. That is very bad for the strings and will shorten their life. I know it makes it faster, but it is still wrong.
Quote by Grunt344
Do not pick with the edge of the pick. That is very bad for the strings and will shorten their life. I know it makes it faster, but it is still wrong.

That makes no sense. There's no reason for it to be "wrong." It provides a different tone and different feel, that's all.
Quote by Grunt344

there is no wrong, i pick with the very very tip of the pick and my strings last a LONG time (longer than they should) in fact i recommend using the very tip of the pick as its easier in the long run. please explain in a physics format how using the edge of the pick will "shorten the strings life"
Why can't you pick with the edge. I'm not sure im following you, but do you mean angling it, so it goes down on the string at a 45 degrees angle? In the book by jamie andreas, the hwo to practice one that everyone recommends, she says an angle is probably better as it has LESS resistance to the string. Also, you can glide right through the string and not lift up your pick to do an upstroke. Plus, it doesnt sound dull. when you dont have an angle, it sound all round and dull, but when you angle it, the highs are more pronounced, giving it more clarity.