I am in the process of building my guitar and I am down to painting it. I was wondering how does one properly paint the pickguard and such so it doesnt chip. I am looking to paint a white pickguard black with a little detailing on it but what kind of paint should i use, proper techniques etc.... this is my first project and I want it to come out smoothly.

Thanks in advance
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Use paint for plastics - rustoleum makes some, same with krylon.

What sort of detailing?
well in the plan I am putting a huge biohazard symbol in lime green on the whole guitar some of which is going to be on the pickguard, thats the detailing for that. I also have biohazard inlays cut for the neck. oh yes one more question, I want to paint my neck black, how would I properly do this and will it affect the frets to be painted black?

I also am working on cutting out a custom biohazard shaped headstock. when I am all done I plan on putting up a pick or two, if it comes out like my drawings she will look pretty good.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
I used Krylon Fusion paint to paint my white pick guard black. It lasted for a while but eventually chipped. Whatever you do, don't paint the fret board. I really don't see any good coming of it. Maybe buying a black pick guard and detailing over it would be the better idea.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
well instead of painting the pickguard, would a wood stain be of any good? I know you can stain wood black. My problem is the whole guitar is black except for the neck wich is almost a white because of the woods color. Again all input is appreciated.
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
You could try using the stain, allthough I don't think it would adhere to pick guard. You can paint the back of the neck but not the fret board. I assume you don't have a dark colored fret board? Check this link out, maybe it can give you some tips. http://www.jimfogarty.co.uk/Luna%20Neck%20Painting.htm
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.