So I'm turning 18 soon and my dad, instead of getting me a car or something cool like that, wants to get me an amp since I'm pretty much amp-less. He's looking to spend about $1000, and I would really like a Marshall, but the lower range ones I've heard bad things about.

The kind of amp I'd like would be preferably one that could get that Randy Rhoads sound I've been looking for... I'm a heavy / thrash metal guitarist, but don't like the "new" thrash sounds, "new" heavy sounds, etc. If I could get an amp that could do the early Ozzy **** I would be one very happy person.

So if you have a remote idea of what I'd like, go on. This is my first -- not my last. Sorry if my words have been a bit jumbled or whatever, I'm about to go to bed. Speaking of which, I look forward to reading plenty of answers in the morning.

Thanks much.
Jackson SL1 Soloist / Seymour Duncan Pickups
Shitty Zoom G1 "Effects Pedal"
Shitty Esteban Acoustic Guitar Amp

(hey, makes ends meet until I get more cash. The SL1 was a gift, the other stuff I bought myself, amp before, Zoom after)
1k? not a bad budget

For 1k,
ENGL Thunder Combo
Peavey 5150 (used probably)
Mesa F-30/50
Mesa Rectoverb
Peavey XXX Combo (used)
Used Marshall JCM800
Used Marshall JCM900
I think a JCM800 or 900 would be good. Look at some Soldano, Hiwatt, and maybe Hughes and Ketter stuff, too. Carvin makes some quality stuff too.
By older ozzy stuff do you mean like Black Sabbath, or just older Ozzy stuff? that part confused me...

and just to know... doesn't Black Sabbath use Orange amps?
O O

___
So I'm turning 18 soon and my dad, instead of getting me a car or something cool like that

do you gig? are you in a band? what are you playing thru now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by qotsa1998
I think a JCM800 or 900 would be good. Look at some Soldano, Hiwatt, and maybe Hughes and Ketter stuff, too. Carvin makes some quality stuff too.

have you ever heard a Hiwatt, or even a Soldano?

Hiwatts CANNOT do thrash, not even close, neither can Soldanos (much too modern sounding, will not pull off a convincing old school thrash soon)
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by TheBax
By older ozzy stuff do you mean like Black Sabbath, or just older Ozzy stuff? that part confused me...

he means stuff Ozzy did with randy rhoads

Tony iommi uses Laneys
Randy Rhoads used customized marshall superleads, plexis I believe. But if I recall, most of the old school thrash sound was on JCM800s/900s and Mesas

So go for the 800/900 (used) or a Mesa Rectoverb, but I personally reccomend the F-30
I say go for a JCM 800. You can get a descent rhoads sound of one with the right od pedal and some crankage.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I say go for a JCM 800. You can get a descent rhoads sound of one with the right od pedal and some crankage.

or you can get a ceritone, then get a decent cab which is 50% of the tone....
guys, just naming expensive amps isnt doing him any good without additional information.

maybe he needs a bedroom amp?
maybe he's past that.

imo, we should advise him to get the best amp for his needs. not just the best amp to blow his budget.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by TheBax

Ozzy, not Sabbath. Randy Rhoads is my god and Rock n roll is my religion. Heh heh, that's so lame.

do you gig? are you in a band? what are you playing thru now?

No gigs yet, no band yet, and the reason is partly what I'm playing through now. I had gotten a firstact as my first guitar with a decent amp, but then it broke thanks to my sister, who is surprisingly in her 30s and still doesn't know how to use anything right without breaking it...

So we got these Esteban acoustic guitars (my next acoustic is a classical guitar, fyi) and one of them came with some crappy amp made for said acoustic guitars.

http://www.estebanmusic.com/guitars.html?product_id=EM505 < That.

This amp will be, at first, used to jam in my room, then band. I guess I should've said that, but, y'know, this could be the last I get for some time.

Randy Rhoads used customized marshall superleads, plexis I believe. But if I recall, most of the old school thrash sound was on JCM800s/900s and Mesas

I know that Rhoads used Plexis, but that stuff runs $1800 minimum. I've also played on one of those before and it was certainly the best I've ever played on.

(hey, makes ends meet until I get more cash. The SL1 was a gift, the other stuff I bought myself, amp before, Zoom after)
Quote by Venice
Ozzy, not Sabbath. Randy Rhoads is my god and Rock n roll is my religion. Heh heh, that's so lame.

No gigs yet, no band yet, and the reason is partly what I'm playing through now. I had gotten a firstact as my first guitar with a decent amp, but then it broke thanks to my sister, who is surprisingly in her 30s and still doesn't know how to use anything right without breaking it...

So we got these Esteban acoustic guitars (my next acoustic is a classical guitar, fyi) and one of them came with some crappy amp made for said acoustic guitars.

This amp will be, at first, used to jam in my room, then band. I guess I should've said that, but, y'know, this could be the last I get for some time.

I know that Rhoads used Plexis, but that stuff runs $1800 minimum. I've also played on one of those before and it was certainly the best I've ever played on.

Than just save like crazy
No band? no hurry
Save up until you have enough for a ceriatone plexi. OR BETTER YET! a Splawn QR, basically a hot-rodded marshall with more gain and more tonal options.
Quote by Venice

Than just save like crazy
No band? no hurry
Save up until you have enough for a ceriatone plexi. OR BETTER YET! a Splawn QR, basically a hot-rodded marshall with more gain and more tonal options.
dude, get the ceriatone. if you're unsure b/c they're not 'marshall' brand, don't even worry about it. this brand takes pride in perfectly cloning famous marshall amps and you'll have a Plexi sound for sure.

so....stop wasting your time and get one!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Venice

honestly, if you get a huge tube amp. you wont be able to crank it in ur room. you'll never really get to hear the amp as it's meant to be played.

tube amps sound best when cranked.

imo, you should buy a 5W tube amp, or a nice modelling amp like a cube 30, and put the rest towards a car.

if you just want a shiny amp to look at in ur room then ga buy a used peavey, and crank it when your parents are at the mall.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
honestly, if you get a huge tube amp. you wont be able to crank it in ur room. you'll never really get to hear the amp as it's meant to be played.

tube amps sound best when cranked.

imo, you should buy a 5W tube amp, or a nice modelling amp like a cube 30, and put the rest towards a car.

if you just want a shiny amp to look at in ur room then ga buy a used peavey, and crank it when your parents are at the mall.

good luck.

I say get a....

ceriatone 18 watter.
>_>
<_<
Or....
Since you have no band, if you arent going to be playing anything live for a while, you could always get Guitar Rig 3. I was quite skeptical at first, i mean, CYBER TUBES?! wtfmuffins!
But they actually sound fairly close to the actual amps. I was quite impressed to get a Scorpions tone in just 3 minutes. Same with SRV, a bit of tweaking, and then you're there.
A bit of a far fetched idea, but if you arent going to be playing live there is no use getting a loud amp, because if you do your fat sister will probably sit on, and break, your expensive, loud, nice amp.
Just a thought.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Get a used Randall RM50 combo and two modules- plexi and a blackface, then a SL+ for heavier stuff. That may be a little over $1000.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
So... You don't have an electric guitar? Are you going to be playing Ozzy with an elec/acoustic and a new amp? I have to say get a decent guitar $350, and an amp $650.
This is probably my first AND last amp... but I did look at some today. There was a Line 6 Spider III with a ****ton of presets.. that I don't like.. any opinions there?

...and yes I have a guitar. Jesus, look at my signature...

Quote by Venice
This is probably my first AND last amp... but I did look at some today. There was a Line 6 Spider III with a ****ton of presets.. that I don't like.. any opinions there?

lawlerskates
No spider 3's.

Find a Line 6 Vetta/Vetta II and buy it.
Now...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
lawlerskates
No spider 3's.

Find a Line 6 Vetta/Vetta II and buy it.
Now...

I know they're willing to say anything to get something sold, but if I could get some specific reasons why said Spider III is ****, that'd be nice. I'm still hoping for the Marshall (specifically the expensive as hell JCM 800 Kerry King signature), but I'm just going to stop worrying about it I guess.

Just shut up until my birthday and hope they get me nothing. I'll be getting a job in a month or two, so I could buy **** myself then, but they're dead set on getting me something...

Quote by kool98769
I say get a....

ceriatone 18 watter.
>_>
<_<
Or....
Since you have no band, if you arent going to be playing anything live for a while, you could always get Guitar Rig 3. I was quite skeptical at first, i mean, CYBER TUBES?! wtfmuffins!
But they actually sound fairly close to the actual amps. I was quite impressed to get a Scorpions tone in just 3 minutes. Same with SRV, a bit of tweaking, and then you're there.
A bit of a far fetched idea, but if you arent going to be playing live there is no use getting a loud amp, because if you do your fat sister will probably sit on, and break, your expensive, loud, nice amp.
Just a thought.

Guitar Rig sounds awful.
Quote by Venice
This is probably my first AND last amp...

1) Wanna bet?
2) So hang me from a cross, I didn't notice that, you only referred to an acoustic in your original post... My. Farking. Bad...

That said, used 5150, 6505, Randal RM50 or JCM800 combo. But look used and save some of your parents money. If you decide to buy with your own money, save yourself some money. Have a nice day.