I rest my picking had on the bridge and i have small hands so i can only pick in the far right side of the strings (above the bridge pickup) , i have seen some guitarrist that rest their hand in the bridge and can reach more to the left, and the problem is if i want to pick in those zones i have to pick with my hand floating above the strings and i just cant do it that way its too hard for me how do i fix this help please.

if i need to practice with my hand floating should i do it always instead of resting my palm on the bridge??

i dont think i need to do that floating thing bcuz some guys can still do it without floating their hand i think.
Last edited by alexcp94 at Jul 6, 2008,
Why would you want to pick in a different spot??

And just get used to having your hand in a different spot. I rest my wrist on the edge of the guitar.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
Why would you want to pick in a different spot??

And just get used to having your hand in a different spot. I rest my wrist on the edge of the guitar.

cuz didnt you know the tones you get are different? if you go more to the right its more metallic , if you go more to the left the sound is more soft.
Well the obvious answer is to practice more with a floating hand, it might be difficult but it would probably pay dividends in terms of mobility later on anyway so it's worth at least giving it a serious try (for a few weeks/months to see how it works).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by alexcp94
any ideas?

You were already given ideas. The answer is to practice what you want to accomplish. Zaphod makes a good point: Practicing with a floating hand will allow you more mobility and essentially a greater potential for what you want to do overall.
If you cannot physically reach the area near the neck to get that warm tone without moving your hand from the bridge then you need to practice with a floating hand, it's as simple as that. If you just shift your hand down the strings then you'll end up muting the guitar so you won't get any sound at all.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the strings will not be necessary muted if i rest the hand on them i can rest it in the lower ones and pick in the higher ones and keep moving as i move from string. but i dont know wich one's the best, i dont know if i really should practice with a floating hand, or if i should pick that way all the time if i do.
Learn to pick with a floating hand, at the moment it sounds like you're anchoring your hand on the bridge which is restricting your mobility. Learn to pick accurately without needing to rest your hand on the guitar, it'll take some time but trust me; it'll be worth the work.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.