just recently bought an '08 ameristrat from GC cuz of their 4th of july sale...

well, ive never owned a guitar w/ a trem system before and i'm pretty clueless on how to set everything up/change stuff. my strat keeps going out of tune, even when just regularly playing, so i'm thinking it has something to do with the bridge/trem. the manual says that the bridge height should be about 1/8" from the body, but mine is almost 1/4" with the strings all tuned up. So... my assumption is that this difference might have something to do with my staying-in-tune problem.

Anyone have any advice?
loosen up the springs in the back,
also

SEARCHBAR

theres a thread on how to setup trem systems
did you change the strings after you got it?
strats usually come stock wearing 9's. if you put somethign heavier on that would cause the change probly
Quote by convictionless
loosen up the springs in the back,
also

SEARCHBAR

theres a thread on how to setup trem systems

+1
tighten the springs? or did i just read this wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Tighten the strings at the back. However because it's not a locking trem (I believe), it will detune itself far easier.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
Quote by Noodle93
Tighten the strings at the back. However because it's not a locking trem (I believe), it will detune itself far easier.

strings = screws? and yeah it's not a locking trem, but even if i dont use the trem bar does that mean i'm gonna have to retune a bunch anyway?
no he meant the SPRINGS.

turn the guitar over, take off the back plastic cover and screw two screws in there a couple of times until the bridge is balanced.
in addition, keep all contact points lubed.

dont worry about the height. as long as the bridge is balanced and stays in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by guitaruboy
did you change the strings after you got it?
strats usually come stock wearing 9's. if you put somethign heavier on that would cause the change probly

yeah i immediately put on ernie ball 10's when i got it. heavier strings = more pull on the bridge = tighten the screws in the back?
Quote by jj1565
no he meant the SPRINGS.

turn the guitar over, take off the back plastic cover and screw two screws in there a couple of times until the bridge is balanced.
in addition, keep all contact points lubed.

dont worry about the height. as long as the bridge is balanced and stays in tune.

ah, gotcha. and i guess the point is that it isnt staying in tune, and i'm wondering if there's something i can do with the bridge to fix this
yeah to "fix" this, you just need to tighten those screws a little bit.

a raised bridge, or an unbalanced bridge wont stay in tune for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah to "fix" this, you just need to tighten those screws a little bit.

a raised bridge, or an unbalanced bridge wont stay in tune for you.

ok cool, thanks. what's the proper technique to adjust the bridge? adjust the screws, retune, rinse, repeat until i'm at the desired height? or is there a better way?
Hmm. I also have a new '08 American Standard Strat, and I've had no issues whatsoever with it staying in tune. Weird.
Quote by ZZRIDER
Hmm. I also have a new '08 American Standard Strat, and I've had no issues whatsoever with it staying in tune. Weird.

when did you get it? did you change string gauges from what they put on there? maybe i just got some ****ty construction...
Quote by racerj
when did you get it? did you change string gauges from what they put on there? maybe i just got some ****ty construction...

I just got it about 2 weeks ago, ordered from MF. Still has the original strings. I didn't mess with the original setup at all.
I always add a spring & get it set up by the local guitar tech. Best $35 I can spend, IMO.
Quote by scmavl
I always add a spring & get it set up by the local guitar tech. Best $35 I can spend, IMO.

not a half bad idea. i'll probably try some stuff on my own tomorrow, then call around some places if it doesnt help and just have them set it up. after doing some research tonight i'm also thinking about adding one or two springs to the three already in there
Quote by racerj
ah, gotcha. and i guess the point is that it isnt staying in tune, and i'm wondering if there's something i can do with the bridge to fix this

Did you stretch the strings?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Did you stretch the strings?

yeah i did that