I have about a 120 watt amp and someone else has a half stack i was wonderin how much he would overpower my amp. Also If I wanted something like that should I buy just a head for my amp or a stack, what is the differance? And why have i seen half stacks cheaper than heads?
I suggest you check out the Q and A "which amp" sticky to learn what a "head", a "combo", and a "halfstack" is. You've got things confused.
Lol, well I guess my answers could be found on the faqs but with his half stack and my 120 watt amp, how much would his halfstack overpower my amp.
A half-stack is the combination of a head and a speaker cabinet. If you run a head by itself, there will be no sound it will start smoking and it will be ruined. So you need either a half-stack or a combo. I recommend a low-wattage combo or half-stack (look up the Orange amp in my sig); less weight and no one REALLY needs all that power for home/small-time gigging.

Cheers.
-ash
Amps are a unit that consists of Electronics coupled with 1 or 2 speakers.
Heads are a unit that is primarily Electronics no speakers.
Stacks are the speaker units mostly 4 speakers unless you use bass then two or more up to 8.
@120 watts you are pretty loud but your friend might be just as loud. Check your wattage first. Then Check his (ohms) he might be using 8 where as you might be using 4.
so for my amp i could just put on a head instead of getting a halfstack or would getting a halfstack be a better buy?
heads go ontop of a cab, which makes them a stack

what your saying is a head is really a Combo

combo is a head and speaker as one unit.

LOL when i typed this there was one answer LOL we all answered this at the same time
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Jul 6, 2008,
i can't put a head on my amp? and if i can should i just stick with that or buy a whole stack
you should really be more concerned with which amp, and not head +cab or combo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just to clarify... is ur amp now a HEAD or COMBO? (head is kinda like an amp but 0 speakers (thats where the half stack part comes in)

Halfstack = head + cab

I agree with jenny though.. whether its a combo/half-stack doesn't matter as much as what kind of amp is it.
If you where buying new, get a head, then you could build (theres a thread here somewhere about building cabinets) or buy cabs. Very useful to have multiple cabinets depending on what the venue you are playing like is.
I have just an amp. My friend has the same crate and just put a head on it how much of a differance does that make?
you need a cabinet to use a head, which isnt an amp, its just a speaker cabinet. but if you have a 120watt combo and its a tube amp, if your buddies stack is overpowering you he probably needs to turn down anyway because permanent ringing in the ears sucks.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
You're seriously making no sense, but I'm gonna try and figure it out.

Is your friend using a head + the speakers from a combo?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by coollikedat
I have just an amp. My friend has the same crate and just put a head on it how much of a differance does that make?

you need to be more specific. we have basically no idea what amp you're talking about.

your amp probably looks like this?

and your friend's looks like this?

and you want to do what? what you should do is just invest in another better amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'm really drunk and confused right now so I'll try my best. The confusion is from the post though, not the booze.

If your amp is 120 watts and his amp is less powerful, which means, LESS THAN 120 WATTS, then you will be marginably louder. If his amp is of equal power, then you should be at the same volume unless his amp is running at a lower impedence.
Quote by coollikedat
Lol, well I guess my answers could be found on the faqs but with his half stack and my 120 watt amp, how much would his halfstack overpower my amp.

As long as your amp is loud enough to get over drums, there shouldn't be any "overpowering". Tell him to turn down if he's louder than you.