Basically my the bridge on my fretless rattles any time I hit the E string. Its definitely the saddle, as it stops if I put any pressure on it. Now, I know the answer to this question already (Buy a BassAss), which was my plan. Problem is I can't afford one, and the rattling annoys me more and more every time I play it. I doubt there's much I can do, but its worth asking, so is there anything that can be done or am I shit out of luck till I can afford a BA?

FETTit: Er, probably should be more clear that its a Fender MIM Fretless J, since not everyone will connect the picture of it that shows up at least once a week with me.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I assume you've taken a screwdriver to the bridge and tightened relevant stuff up... either the string isn't sitting in the saddle right, or the saddle itself is moving a little... try supergluing the saddle to the bridge plate. It's simple enough to break the superglue bond when you want to make adjustments.
Buying a baddass may not solve your problem. The badass on my geddy lee fender has the same problem. Also be aware that you have to cut the grooves into the saddles yourself which really can be a pain in the arse.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
Buying a baddass may not solve your problem. The badass on my geddy lee fender has the same problem. Also be aware that you have to cut the grooves into the saddles yourself which really can be a pain in the arse.

xx

sorry to jack your thread, TS, but can anyone tell me why they do that? why can't they just cut the notches at the factory?
Hm, might consider the super glue option, its about the only thing that sounds like it would work. I know for a fact that the saddle is moving somewhat, I just hadn't connected "super glue" with "musical instrument." Makes sense though, so maybe that's what I'll have to do until I get a more stable bridge. Thanks Dr. Phil. Its so nice to see that you stopped the whole relationship thing and found your true calling in the bass.

And as to why they don't notch it, its so the notches can be better matched to the exact string gauge you use, that way there is little or no room for the string to move around in the groove. Or so they say. It makes sense, but I still think its just annoying. But then again I'm lazy and I'm sure when I do get around to it, I'll have them notched to the strings I used and be all happy and stuff.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
And as to why they don't notch it, its so the notches can be better matched to the exact string gauge you use, that way there is little or no room for the string to move around in the groove. Or so they say. It makes sense, but I still think its just annoying. But then again I'm lazy and I'm sure when I do get around to it, I'll have them notched to the strings I used and be all happy and stuff.

OR, it could be so that they could charge you $20 extra to do it.
I didn't know they'd even do it for a fee, always thought you were s.o.l. unless you got it grooved yourself. Interesting.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
you could buy gotoh 201
cheap and nice
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400