I have REALLY sloppy playing. Just recorded myself playing various songs and pieces and all I hear is unwanted strings in the background. I was playing sitting down if that really helps. Umm...the way I pick is with my left hand and my pinky, ring and middle finger sticking out. Sometimes they rest on the B and E string and on the body of my guitar. I have a KVX10 King V by the way.
How can I improve my playing making it more cleaner? On my Line 6 the Gain was like 4 points away from max if that's a factor.
Is my picking style causing unwanted noise?
Help a desperate nub please.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
umm practice
slow down and try playing the songs without hitting the other strings
just play lsower and practice from there
1.Rock Disciple
2.Start doing Chromatic runs up and down the neck starting at 60 BPM then increase by 10.
3.Also scales
4.Download Guitar Speed Trainer (helps a hell of a lot)
5.Try to practise each routine 20 or 15 minutes a day
6.PM me if you mine need more tips...

BTW, how long have you been playing?
yeah start slow then work your way up. try not to rest your fingers on other strings
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
yeah start slow then work your way up. try not to rest your fingers on other strings

Resting your fingers on strings your not playing is muting them, which would solve his unwanted string noise problem =S.
Keep recording yourself after you've practiced a few of the above techniques. Recording is an excellent (but sometimes cruel :-) ) way of reviewing your self.
check out john petrucci's rockk discipline DVD, its really good for helping develop a good technique. he shows you a variety of exercises which can be used with a metronome to improve finger strength and independance.
Thanks for helping!
1 year and 2 months playing btw.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING BY TELLING HIM TO BUY EXPENSIVE GEAR! Even if its a joke this is a beginners forum!

Um... anyway, you need to take out your metronome and slow everything you are practicing down. The only way to do it is practice slow and correctly. If you are messing up alot just slow it down even more.
also get paul gilberts dvd intense rock 1 and 2 then Troy stetinas speed mechanics for lead guitar book and use a metronome for all the execises u play for atleast an hour a day at that rate youll improve at a steady pace dont forget to take 10-15 minute breaks though if u go over an hour or more
Definitely slow down your playing. Also, when I find myself playing a song in a sloppy manner, it can sometimes help to break down the song into segments, then learn each segment well over the course of say, a week or so. You'll be playing that song flawlessly in no time.

Hope that helps!
Play at a speed you can play cleanly,minus 20 BPM off and practice for 21 days.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic