Page 1 of 2
I was just curious...I see a lot of loyal Ibanez followers and it seems that a lot of shredders go to them because they believe that the paper thin Ibanez necks let them play faster. Does the neck size actually make that big of a difference in speed capability?

Some of the best shredders I have ever watched videos of and have heard have played guitars other than Ibanez...some Fenders, Gibsons, ESP, etc...

I don't believe that these guys are leaving any speed on the table or else they would've switched to Ibanez...am I right? Plus if some of these guys could play even faster than....I can't even think about that. Soo, what do you guys think? This isn't meant to be an Ibanez bash thread it's about the neck sizes in relation to speed...Ibanez just happens to have some of the if not the thinnest necks.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
i started out guitar with tiny hands so i got an ibanez, now my hands have grown much bigger and i'll keep my ibanez, i can play just as fast on a les paul or strat or a jackson or esp but i like my ibanez the best

I play an Ibanez RG and, although it's a really solid guitar for $280, I find the paper-thin neck to be somewhat of a hindrance. PRS necks are where it's at.
-ash
Dude, you can't say they are or are not overrated, it's personal preference, so there is no definite answer. If someone can shred at their best on a Gibson or a Fender, then good for them. I personally prefer the neck on my Ibanez when it comes to faster more complex playing. All I can say is that out of all the guitars I've played, I'm currently most comfortable with the Wizard ll neck.
I started out on an Ibanez RG350DX so I got used to it in the early learning process. Now i have moved on to several guitars currently being a Gibson Explorer and an ESP Eclipse. Every time i play someones RG though, I remember how comfortable it is and it makes me want one again.
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
I don't know if they're overrated, but they get used as a selling point, as if it were necessarily a good thing to have on a guitar. Sure, if you've got a floyd and EMGs and need a shred machine, it's probably going to come with the territory.
But for me, and a lot of people, a fat neck feels and sounds better. More wood on the body yields more sustain, and the same is usually true with a neck.
Besides the comfortability factor...has anyone ever seen it proven that thin necks give you potential to play faster? I know that your thumb being closer to your fingers means you don't need to move it as much BUT is it that big of a difference to make it noticeable in speed? Unless the neck size is tremendously fat then the need to shift your thumb shouldn't even be noticeable compared to a thinner necked guitar...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Quote by Roc8995
I don't know if they're overrated, but they get used as a selling point, as if it were necessarily a good thing to have on a guitar. Sure, if you've got a floyd and EMGs and need a shred machine, it's probably going to come with the territory.
But for me, and a lot of people, a fat neck feels and sounds better. More wood on the body yields more sustain, and the same is usually true with a neck.

LOL, are you serious?
i played my ibanez 1570 and compared the sustain to a 1975 gibson les paul custom, and the sustain was the exact same........ serisouly do the comparison before you say stuff like that....
I think most of the shredders you're talking about started on thinner necks; it helped them develop technique, and once they did, they moved on to thicker necks.

Quote by convictionless
LOL, are you serious?
i played my ibanez 1570 and compared the sustain to a 1975 gibson les paul custom, and the sustain was the exact same........ serisouly do the comparison before you say stuff like that....

LOL if you can't tell the difference in sustain between a RG and a Paul you need to get your ears checked.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
I think most of the shredders you're talking about started on thinner necks; it helped them develop technique, and once they did, they moved on to thicker necks.

LOL if you can't tell the difference in sustain between a RG and a Paul you need to get your ears checked.

A properly set up RG has fantastic sustain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Personally, I like something in between Paper-thin and Boatneck. Basically, at the thick side, Gibbo 60's neck, thin side Jacksons, Wizard II's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by convictionless
LOL, are you serious?

1975 gibsons were among the worst ever made for sustain- pancake bodies, poor construction. Also, you tried TWO guitars. That's not data. That's you thinking that since one has better sustain, every aspect of its construction must increase sustain. That's what's known as "dumb."
Have you tried putting a fatter neck on a strat? I have. It increases sustain.
Try to learn something, or at least have a little respect, before you start insulting my intelligence. I won't insult yours unless you've questioned mine, and trust me, I do my goddamn homework.
Okay....this has turned out to be Ibanez fans defending their guitars and Gibson fans talking about tone. Not really on topic....

Could this be why a lot of the great 'shredders' use 'non paper thin' necks?...for tone?

By the way to say that all the great shredders started on thin necks is absurd.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Maybe, but they probably just prefer the feel of one neck or one guitar over the other.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Roc8995
1975 gibsons were among the worst ever made for sustain- pancake bodies, poor construction. Also, you tried TWO guitars. That's not data. That's you thinking that since one has better sustain, every aspect of its construction must increase sustain. That's what's known as "dumb."
Try to learn something, or at least have a little respect, before you start insulting my intelligence. I won't insult yours unless you've questioned mine, and trust me, I do my goddamn homework.
By far the best guitars for sustain: Mahogany Body Dean MLs, with string through bodies.
^^^Yes, I would think so. There's that, and a fatter neck is generally more comfortable when playing for longer periods of time. Since those guys tend to have monstrous hands, it's probably easier for them during longer gigs to play with bigger necks, where they might use something with a smaller neck in the studio where they need to play faster/cleaner.
And I really didn't mean to start a sh!tstorm about construction and sustain, that's a topic for a different thread. I just don't take it well when I do a lot of research and someone dumps all over it with anecdotal evidence. I'd also like to point out that I didn't mention gibson vs. ibanez for sustain, or even any specific guitars at all. I just said that bigger necks usually help sustain, which is true. That is all.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jul 6, 2008,
Its all personal preference dude. The reason alot of shedders don't switch over from fenders and gibsons to ibanezs is because maybe they really like their guitar or have a personal relationship with it.
I would like to think I play quite fast on the neck of my faded LP Studio, but it helps that the neck is unfinished as I have found that playing on lacquer finished necks causes friction between the hand and the neck, slowing me down. But the few times I have played an Ibanez Prestige, I really liked the Wizard II neck.

I don't think that neck thickness matters TOO much, but can be helpful dependng on a person's individual needs.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
I would like to think I play quite fast on the neck of my faded LP Studio, but it helps that the neck is unfinished as I have found that playing on lacquer finished necks causes friction between the hand and the neck, slowing me down. But the few times I have played an Ibanez Prestige, I really liked the Wizard II neck.

I don't think that neck thickness matters TOO much, but can be helpful dependng on a person's individual needs.
Prestiges have Wizard Prestige Necks, not Wizard II's
Quote by Archeo Avis
A properly set up RG has fantastic sustain.

Will you set up mine?

I didn't say ALL shredders started on thin necks btw. Buckethead probably hated Ibanez's from the very beginning of his career.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I like both.

I have an SG which is a thicker neck, an ibanez which is thin, and a strat which is somewhere in between.

All 3 of them play great and I like all of them. However, I honestly feel I can play faster, soloing wise, on the SG or Strat. Not because of the neck size, but because of the fretboard layout since I've always played on 21/22 fret guitars until the RG
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I like both.

I have an SG which is a thicker neck, an ibanez which is thin, and a strat which is somewhere in between.

All 3 of them play great and I like all of them. However, I honestly feel I can play faster, soloing wise, on the SG or Strat. Not because of the neck size, but because of the fretboard layout since I've always played on 21/22 fret guitars until the RG

What about that Jackson you had?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Old Mosrite necks I'da say are thinner than Ibanez. Very playable. I don't shred/play metal and I like it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
im always too cautious in thin necks, it feels like a toy. i always think im gonna break my friends ibanez. im rough on guitars though, i punch and hit mine during shows.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Depends on the player a lot. I have a Squier strat with a very small scale and have a very hard time with chords on that guitar. However on a Les Paul I have more freedom to move and go around the fretboard so I play cleaner. If a player is fast they could probably play at a good speed on most electrics and the neck size is more preference. Also some guys like Zakk WYlde shave the necks on some guitars like the Les Paul.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I find I play slower on my Strat than I do on my Epi.

The neck is just a bit too thick for my liking on the Strat, and also not as smooth.

Oddly enough the Epi's neck is painted whereas the Strat's is not.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Personally I don't believe that any neck is inherently faster than any other; it's all down to the player and what they find comfortable. I happen to like the Wizard shape and be a bedroom shredder
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by aznrockerdude
What about that Jackson you had?

I bought it on a whim because it was so cheap, decided I didn't like the feel of the neck or really the sound of the guitar. Haven't really been a fan since and I've played a lot of them, just waitin for one to really wow me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have never experienced ant difference in my playing when playing on any size neck
as long as its not tooo thick
or toooo thin
i cant stand ibanez guitars because their bridges are too low for me
i prefer the tunematics
i did, however, really enjoy playing their v-blade and iceman giotars because of the gibraltar bridges!
nice
I startd on an SG
And i still find it hard to adjust to the jackson neck

I don't agree with the whole you hafta get a thin neck to shred on.

Throw satriani a fat sg and he'll still show you how to shred.
Quote by henza_x
I startd on an SG
And i still find it hard to adjust to the jackson neck

I don't agree with the whole you hafta get a thin neck to shred on.

Throw satriani a fat sg and he'll still show you how to shred.

This.

I started on a Strat, then an SG, and I haven't ever been able to get comfortable with an Ibanez.

I love playing an SG strung up with some 12's or 13's.

None of those silly 9's :p
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I like the modern 'C' Shaped neck from Fender thats used on most MIM fender stratocasters now, well glossed and can allow anyone you move hand postions quickly to 'Shred'. I personally don't like the Ibanez neck too thin for me I have large hands.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Well , I like the Wizard II neck alot..
Nothing is overrated , it's all about how you like it in my opinion...
sorry about the long post

Quote by Roc8995

Roc8995, i feel your frustration...its this sort of thing that puts me off forums fella....

ive been playing for 20 years and have quite some experience, i come on here and noobs tell me im talking rubbish - its all very silly really. Ive given up arguing with them these days and i tend not to post my strongest opinions for fear of being ridiculed (even if whatever im talking about is like standard stuff for pro's)

anyway, back on topic

thinner necks definately help with shredding technique (thumb behind neck), but make the "thumb over neck technique" much more difficult and vice versa. That coupled with the issue of sustain makes neck choice an involved affair.

its a trade off.

i play both techniques, depending on what i want to play, plus ive been playing for years, so can play almost anything on anything - therefore I edge towards a thicker neck (for more sustain).
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Personally,I like them because I've tiny hands.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Page 1 of 2