I plan on doing home recording with my guitar. I am looking at this interface.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154
I would then buy a shure SM57 to mic my cabinet. Is this all I need for the setup? I would just record the cabinet into the interface and then put it on the computer right? Also will I be able to talk into the microphone and use the setup as a computer mic for talking online? Thanks.
You connect the interface to your computer via Firewire, and record directly onto your computer using some soft of DAW.
To further this discussion, how loud will Karg45 need to play to be able to get a quality recording?

I'm not asking how loud will he need to play to drive his tubes etc but rather, how loud will he need to play to pickup the sound coming out of the cab with a SM57? I'm asking because I am an apartment player and want to mic my 75 watt combo but don't want to have to p*ss off the neighbours to do so.... and no, I really don't want to by a POD or a direct box speaker simulator. From the recordings I've listened to the best sound comes from a decent mic and a preamp.
An Sm57 is notorious for need a rather hot-driving preamp to get a good full signal out of it, especially at lower input volumes.

To give a reference volume, the 42dB preamps on my MOTU 896, driven at about +25-30dBu, need a Mesa Mark IV w/4x12 putting out a level of volume that is annoyingly loud in the same room, to register around -6dBfs. If I had to guesstimate a dB level, I'd put it around 110. This is with a Sm57 about 6" off the speaker, dead on center.

That said, with digital recording today, providing your preamps are clean and your line isn't getting interference, you can record at as low as -30dBfs and still have ample signal, especially once normalized to around -10dBfs, to have a nice clean, clear sound.

To sum that up, if your preamps have relatively high headroom before you start hitting the rails, and a gain range of maybe 55-60dB (average for higher level consumer equipment), you should have no problem getting a perfectly acceptable track if you have your amp at around conversation volume, maybe a bit higher.
Mr Pillow, that was one of the most informed and the most high quality answers I think I have ever received in my long history of forum surfing. Thank you.

You are a credit to Pillow people everywhere.
Just remember to record at 24bits or otherwise you'll be missing out details if you aren't recording at very high levels. And yeah, you can rest easy (have some R&R) with Pillow.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Nostrildamus
To further this discussion, how loud will Karg45 need to play to be able to get a quality recording?

I'm not asking how loud will he need to play to drive his tubes etc but rather, how loud will he need to play to pickup the sound coming out of the cab with a SM57? I'm asking because I am an apartment player and want to mic my 75 watt combo but don't want to have to p*ss off the neighbours to do so.... and no, I really don't want to by a POD or a direct box speaker simulator. From the recordings I've listened to the best sound comes from a decent mic and a preamp.

When micing something u can have the volume from as minimal as 1

u just need to set the gain on the desk to receive more but it will sound good, obvioulsly the less gain and more vol on amp will make better quality,
i dont see why u would need more than 3 on ur amp