All neck through guitars I have seen have been a neck, going through the body, with wings attached to form the body.

Example:

Does anyone make neck through guitars that are crafted from one solid block of wood? By this I mean the body and neck are one piece. It would be interesting to see.
That would be so stupidly expensive to do...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That would be so stupidly expensive to do...

You think so? It doesn't seem like it would be all too expensive IMO, but maybe that's why no one does it. It seems like if someone made a guitar out of mahogany it would be possible.
Quote by JoshRocco
You think so? It doesn't seem like it would be all too expensive IMO, but maybe that's why no one does it. It seems like if someone made a guitar out of mahogany it would be possible.

One of the main things that makes some planks of wood is the width and to make a guitar out of a single piece of wood it would have to be pretty wide, thus: huge expense.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
One of the main things that makes some planks of wood is the width and to make a guitar out of a single piece of wood it would have to be pretty wide, thus: huge expense.

Ah I see, I was just thinking it couldn't cost much more because normally they would be machining the body wings and neck separately, instead of running one piece of wood through the machine.
Think about how much wood you need to make a neck of a guitar, and then how much wood you need to make the body. You can get a thin stick of wood, carve out a neck, and be left with relatively little waste. Same with the body. However, if you try to use a single piece of wood to make the entire guitar, you end up with a lot more waste. Doesn't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up, especially for bigger manufacturers who make lots and lots of guitars.

Now it seems like it would be a good idea for like a custom guitar build, because you won't be banging out as many guitars as, say, Fender or Gibson. But also, the bigger the piece of wood you're starting with, the more expensive it's going to be. You're going to need a piece of wood much, much bigger to make a solid guitar than if you did the neck and body separately. And a piece of wood that much bigger is going to be much, much more expensive.

In the end, it's just not worth it.
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
Think about how much wood you need to make a neck of a guitar, and then how much wood you need to make the body. You can get a thin stick of wood, carve out a neck, and be left with relatively little waste. Same with the body. However, if you try to use a single piece of wood to make the entire guitar, you end up with a lot more waste. Doesn't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up, especially for bigger manufacturers who make lots and lots of guitars.

Now it seems like it would be a good idea for like a custom guitar build, because you won't be banging out as many guitars as, say, Fender or Gibson. But also, the bigger the piece of wood you're starting with, the more expensive it's going to be. You're going to need a piece of wood much, much bigger to make a solid guitar than if you did the neck and body separately. And a piece of wood that much bigger is going to be much, much more expensive.

In the end, it's just not worth it.

Hmm, I didn't even consider that. Thanks for the input. So I'm guessing no companies do it?
Quote by stinger12345
So how DO they make neck thrus?

Carve the neck and central block from a single piece of wood and then glue carved wings to the edges.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
There is also the issue of dimensional stability, which is one of the big reasons why a guitar body is built up of edge-glued smaller pieces, with the grain alternating. A plank of wood build-up of edge-glued smaller pieces is more dimensionally stable than a plank cut from a single piece.

So you really wouldn't want a guitar made from a single, non-glued plank even if it weren't cost prohibitive. It would be worse, and provide no benefit vs. a glued-up one.
Quote by ZZRIDER
There is also the issue of dimensional stability, which is one of the big reasons why a guitar body is built up of edge-glued smaller pieces, with the grain alternating. A plank of wood build-up of edge-glued smaller pieces is more dimensionally stable than a plank cut from a single piece.

So you really wouldn't want a guitar made from a single, non-glued plank even if it weren't cost prohibitive. It would be worse, and provide no benefit vs. a glued-up one.

That sounds convincing at first glance, but honestly I find this very hard to believe. Unchambered, solid body, one piece Les Pauls...? No edge-glued smaller pieces (and so, no alternating grain). Of course, these don't have a neck-thru design, but this should have no effect in modeling the forces on the guitar.

Anyway, with that said, the other posts concerning the increased cost of this design seem pretty on the ball. This seems to make sense as the reason why no company would mass produce the design (especially since it probably provides very little to no benefit over the traditional neck-thru design).

If you wanted to custom make (read: build yourself) a single guitar with this design though, I can't imagine it would cost you too much more than any other design. I say go for it---and then post pictures for us in the Gear Building and Customizing forum.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17

If you wanted to custom make (read: build yourself) a single guitar with this design though, I can't imagine it would cost you too much more than any other design. I say go for it---and then post pictures for us in the Gear Building and Customizing forum.

Yes I think it would make both and interesting project and an interesting guitar if someone bothers to do it. I would also love to see the results.
crazy talking animals
Quote by FourSticks17

You'd be surprised; a plank of wood that size would cost a huge amount of money, exponentially more than individual pieces of wood that would make a glued-together guitar of the same size.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You'd be surprised; a plank of wood that size would cost a huge amount of money, exponentially more than individual pieces of wood that would make a glued-together guitar of the same size.

It seems like some people on GC have very, very deep pockets, also
crazy talking animals
2 relatively small pieces of mahogany 5x19 cost 70 bucks. Not to hard to come by. But a 42x15 solid piece of stable mahogany would not be cheap or easy to find. My carvin is a maple neck with alder wings and quilted maple top. You think mahogany is expensive try buying that big of a piece of quilted maple. Old growth trees like that have all been cut down. And seems pretty environmentally irresponsible to cut down such a tree so 1 american can have a cool guitar. Because about 70 percent of the wood from that plank would end up as waste.
That'd be pretty stupid.

The whole thing would warp terribly, I think.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.