I just bought a LTD Alexi600 yesterday from this guy. The strings aren't heavy enough for my liking so I want to get them changed. Problem is, this is my first guitar with a Floyd so I'm pretty scared of ****ing things up. I have a good idea how to do it from youtube vids and stuff, but I want it to be done right.

I think I'm going to take it to the store and have it set up to my liking just to make sure everything is in good condition. I plan on using the guitar for E Standard or maybe D standard when I'm feeling bored.

Question1: I like my strings nice and tight...what gauge will compliment E or D tuning the best?

#2: How much does a guitar setup usually cost?
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
10's... and if you like em really tight get d'addarios. They tend to feel tight on the guitar.

I like mine so loose they're almost noodley!

I don't know what it costs now. Last time I got a floyd set up it was like $35+ strings.
But if the neck is way outta whack or he has to replace trem springs, it might cost more.

Also talk to the tech. Make sure you have an understanding of what you like and he knows that. You don't want him assuming stuff when he's setting up your guitar. You'll never get what you want that way.

Just remember to ask around town, and talk to whoever you get to work on your guitar.

You should be fine.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Last edited by The_rylan at Jul 6, 2008,
setting-up a FR is a pain the first few times you have to do it, there's no getting around that. but dont worry about dammaging your guitar or messing things up in general its a simple process, just time consuming. expecially the first few times you do it.

i think 12's or so would be good, thats a matter of taste though.

ps the FR set-up guide at the top of the forum page is very good.

good luck!
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Right now i got a set of GHS .10-.52 Boomers on my Ibanez with a Floyd Rose and its tuned to D and it feels good, unlike you i like a little slack on my strings so i would go with something maybe a little higher if you want it to be tight when you tune to E (Its probably gonna be very tight so watch out for that). When i first got my floyd rose first time i put on strings set for a seven string guitar and i had to get it adjusted at a guitar store cost me around 80 dollars.
Yeha you don't really wanna mess with setting up a floyd on your own. Take it to a tech. There's a tool they have to make it easier to set the intonation. It sets the saddles so that they can be adjusted easily, and the tool costs like $30 so unless you want to loosen the saddle, adjust it, tighten it, retune the guitar, lock down the strings, check the intonation, unlock the strings, loosen the string your working on... loosen the saddle, adjust the saddle, bleagh.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag