Hello. Im going to purchase an Avatar 4x12 Cabinet for my 150 Watt Mesa Triple Rectifier.

The cabinet will have:

(2) Vintage 30 60 Watt Speakers
(2) G12H30 30 Watt Speakers

I was wondering how many watts the Cabinet will be able to handle.

I know 150 Watts is a lot and i wouldnt want to blow the cabinet.

Thanks In Advance
just add it up, 60+60+30+30

durrr 180

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101

durrr 180

lol
i thought he wanted a vint 30 stack -.-
TS just to let you know, i wouldnt use v30's on a mesa triple rec, it will sound SUPER fizzy. just use the gh12 something something, there alot more warmer and they will counter part the high end fizzyiness generally found in mesa's
Quote by convictionless
well whats 60 times 4 ........ idiot.....

^^ er someone doesn't read.

2 x 30 watt speakers
2 x 60 watt speakers

180 watts.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Holy Crap !

I figuired it would add up to 180 Watts,

But on the avatar website it says its rated for 120 Watts.

And yeah im just a 17 year old kid who got lucky and got a triple rec,

But jesus all of you guys were noobs at some point.
Quote by erik961
Holy Crap !

I figuired it would add up to 180 Watts,

But on the avatar website it says its rated for 120 Watts.

And yeah im just a 17 year old kid who got lucky and got a triple rec,

But jesus all of you guys were noobs at some point.

no, but cant you add? im not being a hard ass, im making you do basic math.
No.. i can def add

But answer me this ,

Why does Avatar list is as a 120 Watt Cabinet ?

Thats what threw me off.
Quote by erik961
No.. i can def add

But answer me this ,

Thats what threw me off.

e-mail them
then be like "I WANT A FREE ONE NOW SINCE YOU MADE ME ADD?!?!?!"
they might seriously do it at a lower cost at most ;P
Actually............ It will only hold good tone until the lower rated speakers become overpowered. Its kinda like the weakest link thing.
Quote by erik961

Because you're asking an intelligent question, and all these guys who think they're so smart are, in fact, idiots.

It's rated at 120W because the maximum power the two 30W speakers can handle is 30W. Power gets divided evenly within the cab. At the 120W level, the 30W speakers are at their capacity. If you try to crank a 150W amp thru that cab, you'd be sending 37.5W thru those 30W speakers, and they may consider that enough power to blow them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.

Glad to help!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^You are full of wisdom slats.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by suprfly
^ Those padawans think they are strong with THE TONE! LOL

I was about to ask. . . wouldn't you just take the LOWEST rated speaker and then multiply?

Not to sound like an idiot, but would how they were wired (parallel, series, combination, whatever) make any difference or would that only apply to impedance?
yeah wouldnt it matter if the ohms matched up? i dont really know much about it but everyone i know who knows about amps says dont mix ohms.
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
As far as the speakers go, mixing ohms is no big deal. As for the amp, you don't want to go below the minimum ohm rating. And yes how the speakers are wired has an effect on the total ohm load.
Quote by CodeMonk
Well, I know that if you wire 2 speakers together, they need to be the same ohm rating.

No they do not. You just do not want the total ohm rating to be lower then the amp ohm rating.

The speaker ohm rating is a measure of power that it draws from the amp. The lower the rating the more it draws from the amp. A 4 ohm speaker draws more than a 8 ohm speaker.

When using more than one speaker or it is not marked, you can take a multimeter and check the ohms.
Ok So As i Understand it.............

I will be ok buying this cabinet.. Just dont turn the volume nob all the way up.

I seriously doubt i will ever need the true loudness of a 150 Watt head.
Quote by DW#
No they do not. You just do not want the total ohm rating to be lower then the amp ohm rating.

The speaker ohm rating is a measure of power that it draws from the amp. The lower the rating the more it draws from the amp. A 4 ohm speaker draws more than a 8 ohm speaker.

When using more than one speaker or it is not marked, you can take a multimeter and check the ohms.

So you are saying that you could wire an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm speaker in parallel and all will be fine and dandy? I've heard otherwise. [sarcasm] And I read it on the Internet so it must be true [/sarcasm]
Quote by DW#
There's an idiot involved here alright...........

Bottom line is with ANY speaker, when it starts "clipping" and sounding like ASS. Turn it down. Your setup will be just fine as long as you live by this. No matter what the numbers are.

Don't be so sensitive. I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the guys calling the threadstarter an idiot for not adding or multiplying the speaker wattages in their own stupid, incorrect way.

And also, a lot of players want speaker breakup as part of their sound. While it's generally not users of a Triple Rec, I'll give you that. Whenever I replace a speaker, though, I always look for speakers that closely match the output of my amps for that edge of disaster sound.

Quote by CodeMonk
So you are saying that you could wire an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm speaker in parallel and all will be fine and dandy? I've heard otherwise. [sarcasm] And I read it on the Internet so it must be true [/sarcasm]

You can, but the result would be a 12 ohm resistance and speakers that were being powered unevenly (the lower resistance speaker would be louder than the higher one). It's an inefficient use of the cab, and there's no head that would match a 12 ohm load, which is why you never see it done.

Quote by erik961
Ok So As i Understand it.............

I will be ok buying this cabinet.. Just dont turn the volume nob all the way up.

I seriously doubt i will ever need the true loudness of a 150 Watt head.

I wouldn't recommend this cab for your amp. It's true that you'll probably never need to use all 150W, but you have it, so why not have it available? You know there's gonna be a time where you want to open that bad boy up!

Maybe instead of the G12M's, you could go with G12-65. They're designed to sound similar to the Greenbacks, but handle 65W. This way, you'd have close to the tone you're looking for in a safer 240W cab.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by CodeMonk

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you've heard otherwise [sarcasm]

If you hook a 8 ohm and a 16 ohm in parallel you would now have a 5.33 ohm load. As long as your amp is stable down to 4 ohms you will be fine. I am not saying this is best but you can do it without any problems.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, But I do have a few books on speakers and building cabinets left over from my car audio install days.

Here a link to a good site that helps explain some basics.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
Quote by gtr_101

durrr 180

wronngg.

Quote by slatsmania
Because you're asking an intelligent question, and all these guys who think they're so smart are, in fact, idiots.

It's rated at 120W because the maximum power the two 30W speakers can handle is 30W. Power gets divided evenly within the cab. At the 120W level, the 30W speakers are at their capacity. If you try to crank a 150W amp thru that cab, you'd be sending 37.5W thru those 30W speakers, and they may consider that enough power to blow them.

THIS.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by DW#
If you hook a 8 ohm and a 16 ohm in parallel you would now have a 5.33 ohm load. As long as your amp is stable down to 4 ohms you will be fine. I am not saying this is best but you can do it without any problems.

I got the ohm total wrong, but that doesn't make it any better of an idea. The speakers will be unevenly loaded, with the lower resistance speaker probably drowning out the other. If the lower resistance speaker is also rated lower wattage-wise, there would be a higher risk of blowing it.

Wiring speakers of different ohm ratings in a three-speaker set-up makes some sense. You could tie two 8 ohm, 25W speakers in series to one 16 ohm 50W speaker in parallel. The result would be an 8 ohm, 100W cab.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.