Alright, here's the deal. Me and my bandmates have been thinking about doing some busking, mostly for kicks, but also in an attempt to promote our band around town. The band consists of a vocalist/saxophonist, a drummer (who would probably play either a djembe or congas), and lil' old me, the bassist. The thing is, I don't own an acoustic bass guitar. I do have an upright, but that's too much to lug downtown, plus I'm not very good. With all this in mind, do you guys have anything in mind that could hold its own against a fairly loud saxophonist and a hand drum on the street? I'm not looking to drop huge amounts of cash on this, preferably in the $200-$300 range, but I could possibly go up to around $500. What can you recommend?
Search bar this for more detail.

There are no sub ~$1000 instruments that'll give you the volume or tone you need. The closest thing is the semi-rare Olympia OB3CE, but even then that instrument is a far cry from the real version, the Tacoma Thundercheif.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would suggest getting a small battery-powered amp or an amp-in-a-box or headphone amp and get some big 1/4" jack speakers to use with it.
Get an acoustic/electric bass and a small amp.
But I think you should work with the upright and just use the acoustic bass until you think you're good enough on the upright to use it.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
Quote by qotsa1998
I would suggest getting a small battery-powered amp or an amp-in-a-box or headphone amp and get some big 1/4" jack speakers to use with it.

The closest thing I've seen to what you're describing is the Roland Micro Cube for bass. I've never tried one out, but my main concern is portability; I live about a mile from downtown and don't have a car, so I'd have to walk down there dragging this thing along with me.

What about resonator ABG's? I don't know if they exist, but I've heard resonator guitars are louder then standard wooden acoustics; maybe the same thing would hold true for bass...
Quote by bassist12
Get an acoustic/electric bass and a small amp.
But I think you should work with the upright and just use the acoustic bass until you think you're good enough on the upright to use it.

Big bowl of sauerkraut. Every single morning.

Anyway, I think the acoustic bass guitar is the only bass instrument that is a total direct descendant of the guitar and the guitar alone. It is trully the bass version of a guitar and I think it's a totally different beast from an upright.

You can get resonator ABGs on eBay from those freak shops, but resonators, while louder than wooden acoustics, are much more metallic sounding and are not booming at all - in fact, very thin sounding. I assume this is the last thing you want on a bass. You'll hear it, sure, but it'll probably sound like a really low guitar string.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ibanez makes sweet acoustic basses, and im pretty sure they are acoustic, electric combo.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
i actually tried a washburn acoustic/electric that was about three fifty and it wasn't that bad. a bit twangy, but much better than the other ones there.
You dont need to get an acoustic bass and most of them are god awful anyways, if you have a small practice amp, get that, and a big ole extension cord and that will usually work for busking.

PS: If you do this, bring a big towel to put your amp under if it rains.
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by thefitz
Big bowl of sauerkraut. Every single morning.

Anyway, I think the acoustic bass guitar is the only bass instrument that is a total direct descendant of the guitar and the guitar alone. It is trully the bass version of a guitar and I think it's a totally different beast from an upright.

You can get resonator ABGs on eBay from those freak shops, but resonators, while louder than wooden acoustics, are much more metallic sounding and are not booming at all - in fact, very thin sounding. I assume this is the last thing you want on a bass. You'll hear it, sure, but it'll probably sound like a really low guitar string.

Wh-- I don't understand... WHY the Albuquerque reference.

Regardless, I do agree with Fitz about the acoustic bass being the only bass descendant of the guitar. Funny enough, I know I agree with this because I've been thinking A LOT about what the bass is in the past few weeks, and the emergence of electric guitars, etc. etc... BECAUSE of something that Fitz said a while back on that very topic. And the cycle continues...

Sorry, I digress. Point is, the point Fitz makes about the acoustic bass sounding like a low octave acoustic guitar is correct... HOWEVER that is not necessarily a bad thing. You say it's a 3-person ensemble, with a saxophone/vox and tonal percussionist and yourself. You mentioned no guitar player, so... with your already slightly atypical ensemble, I believe it would be acceptable for your tone to lack as much low end and have more guitar-like brightness, because there would be nothing else filling quite the same hole. If you do this, I would go with the congas over the djembe, because they use more drum than head as opposed to the djembe. That punchy, ringing kind of drum actually might fill some of the same tonal space as a guitar would.

So in conclusion, as someone who has been around reed instruments most his life (clarinet since 2nd grade son), a semi-accomplished bassist, and a sufficient conguero, I say you try that ensemble out - sax, congas, acoustic bass.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
^ Notice the tagline under the username of the person I quoted. Hence the Albuquerquie reference.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I can vouch for the Ibanez Acoustic I got a EW ABG and its pretty booming me and my cuz play acoustic sets together, and its pretty damn noticeable, Check out my youtube for a sound sample of it.
I would go the Roland Microcube or Pignose H30 route. The Microcube is lighter and a bit louder sounding IMHO. And if you get a collapsible luggage cart, its not that hard to lug even onto public transport with a backpack gig case. I've managed it twice--its a workable solution from a sound and transportability standpoint.
Is the Microcube battery powered?

EDIT: Nevermind, it is.
Last edited by White-Chocolate at Jul 8, 2008,