I've just been wondering this for a while:

Look at our technological advancements of the 20th and 21st century. Compare how people lived in the year 1600, 1700, and 1800. The picture doesn't change that much. Picture the way people lived in 1900 and 2000. The change seems remarkable.

Every century, the Human race goes through technological advancements. However, during the 20th century, I would say that during that century, we advanced far greater than any other century I can think of. I wouldn't say our advancements are small, but are incredibly greater than the other centuries.

The way we live has changed so much since 100 years ago, and I was wondering that with such a big change, how do you think this will affect our evolution? Do you think it will harm or help it?
Make it irrelevant...

Or are you talking about evolution as a society rather than a species?
I could write 3 pages with my thoughts on this, but it's 04:46 in the morning, so......

Sorry Maddy
Maybe technology itself is a form of evolution. Not of our bodies, but of our thoughts and our collective knowledge.

I guess it's just semantics.
I remember there being a thread similar to this a while ago. I firmly believe that, although we are able to adapt generally to environmental pressures, or change it for our own needs through technology, we will still evolve. Even if we begin to design our offspring, there will always be the natural possibility of change in the genome. However, this doesn't mean that it will always be changes for the better- it will potentially be for the worse or with no significant impact. But technology will be able to sustain the life of those with the regressive change, therefore allowing that change as a part of our evolution.
So maybe we'll have a drought in technological advances for a while once we reach some sort of peak.

Until something new.
How many of you guys commit phone numbers to memory? Speed dial eh? How about using your brain to do math? Calculators eh? Ya I think there could be an impact. Maybe good maybe not. Dunno. But we definately are teaching ourselves to use our brains differently.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
How many of you guys commit phone numbers to memory? Speed dial eh? How about using your brain to do math? Calculators eh? Ya I think there could be an impact. Maybe good maybe not. Dunno. But we definately are teaching ourselves to use our brains differently.

I don't know how speed dial on y phone works
i think help/ harm of tech, is about even.
because medical tech is getting better @ keeping us well. but other technology, is harming us so that we need the medical attention. so really, we're in a technological stalemate.
even more, think about computers
from 1990 to 2000, and form 2001 up to now, its twice as fast

i cant wait to see whats comming, sure it will affect everyone
i think maybe we will grow smarter and phisically weaker since machines can do it safer, faster and they dont complain lol

EDIT: i was just thinking, we get smarter we can discover new technology and develop more and we will need to get even smarter and one day we will be just a huge brain with tiny arms and legs and we would never walk we would float around dripping a glowing pink goo or something
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Last edited by the_extremist00 at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Jackal58

I did all my math work in my head for about 3 months because I lost my calculator.

And I do use speed-dial, but I remember the important numbers anyway.
i have one thing to say; Wall-E. deep film. http://youtube.com/watch?v=UblUO0LjPUg

all the humans are out of shape.

i think technology will dumb us down. it is making life too simple for us. i think it is amazing that we are at a very pivotal point in our species' time line.
Humans will still evolve to adapt, basically everything that's living on earth is evolving right now, I'm not sure about the Great White Shark or the Crocodile though, those guys haven't done anything for millions of years.

I'm not sure what the outcome of it will be, but with genetic engineering being constantly studied/researched, we can probably look to see natural selection being manipulated.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't know how speed dial on y phone works

That's why you're going to be a doctor. It's ok man really it is.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I did all my math work in my head for about 3 months because I lost my calculator.

And I do use speed-dial, but I remember the important numbers anyway.

I'm sure everybody does on occasion. But not like 30 years ago. And ya I'm sure we all know our favourite 900 numbers.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Evolution mainly occurs to improve a species trait through natural selection or 'survival of the fittest'. Based on the people who had say cancer as a genetical trait that would continuously pass the cancer onto the offspring died before having babies there will be no next generation to have the cancer. But because of technological advancements in health those with cancer as such can live, possibly that cancer gene will stay in the DNA of the bloodline.

Our technology is limiting the natural evolution process already.
Quote by Namikaze
Evolution mainly occurs to improve a species trait through natural selection or 'survival of the fittest'. Based on the people who had say cancer as a genetical trait that would continuously pass the cancer onto the offspring died before having babies there will be no next generation to have the cancer. But because of technological advancements in health those with cancer as such can live, possibly that cancer gene will stay in the DNA of the bloodline.

Our technology is limiting the natural evolution process already.

IIRC, oncogenes (cancer causing genes) are found dormant in pretty much everyone. It just requires a trigger, hence why cancer is not confined to socio-economic groups, gender groups, age groups or geographic groups. Due to the nature of oncogenes, technology is not the reason why cancer has been kept within the species.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 6, 2008,
We will only adapt, if at all, to the environment with continually advancing technology that we've had going. Natural selection has been greatly slowed, but maybe the fact that we can cure/treat some diseases that would have killed before or do things with technology we couldn't do is evolution in itself.