Alright, so I've been reading up on the Music Theory: The Beginning column on this fine site, and I've began to form some major scale patterns. Using the 3-notes-per-string method, I've came up with this so far:

(A Major)
E|-------------------------------------------7-9-10--
B|----------------------------------7-9-10-----------
G|--------------------------6-7-9--------------------
D|------------------6-7-9----------------------------
A|----------5-7-9------------------------------------
E|---5-7-9-------------------------------------------

(B Major)
E|-------------------------------------------9-11-12----
B|-----------------------------------9-11-12------------
G|--------------------------8-9-11----------------------
D|------------------8-9-11------------------------------
A|----------7-9-11--------------------------------------
E|---7-9-11---------------------------------------------

My question is, am I doing this right (so far?) I only began about 10 minutes ago, which is why I don't have many made out so far. I also want to know, how do I figure out the different positions of the scales?
you're doing the scale patterns right, but you shouldn't memorize the pattern for tha sake of it, you should know what each note you're hitting is, what it means in relation to the tonic and other notes of the scale, I'm not saying you should learn it all immediately, that would be impossible, but yeah, think about what you're doing, not just what the pattern tells you you can do
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
In relation to the tonic? You mean like it's interval and stuff, right? I understand everything else though, I'm trying to do that. I'm taking it nice and slow to memorize it all.
Learning patterns is good, but knowing how and why the patterns work is the main thing you should be focusing on. Know where all the whole steps (2 semitones) and half steps (1 semitone) are.

For figuring out the patterns over the entire neck, start by finding all of the notes in a scale. In A major they would be A B C# D E F# G#. Find these notes over the entire fretboard and create your 3nps patterns out of them. Each pattern will start on a new note, so logically you will have 7 different patterns for each key.

Edit: And the tonic is just another name for the root note. What he means is know what note is the 2nd, 3rd, etc.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
Learning patterns is good, but knowing how and why the patterns work is the main thing you should be focusing on. Know where all the whole steps (2 semitones) and half steps (1 semitone) are.

For figuring out the patterns over the entire neck, start by finding all of the notes in a scale. In A major they would be A B C# D E F# G#. Find these notes over the entire fretboard and create your 3nps patterns out of them. Each pattern will start on a new note, so logically you will have 7 different patterns for each key.

Edit: And the tonic is just another name for the root note. What he means is know what note is the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Yeah, definitely. I'm working on memorizing the notes on the fretboard right now. I have the 4th, 5th, and 6th string down so far. 3 more to go!

Thanks for the advice, regardless. I have another question. Are there any sites/threads/posts that show how to make basic harmonies/chord progressions? I read in this month's Guitar World (By Ihsahn) about harmonizing with diatonic thirds. Are there other ways to harmonize or whatever?