I can't decide on a guitar...I have no idea which to choose. One doesn't really stand out for me. Here's what I'm looking for:

Thin Neck
24 Frets
Strat Style Body
Versatile (Classic Rock - Shred - Metal [nothing rythm like])
Humbucker or Single Coil Pickups

I'm looking to get a different styled neck than my current ESP.

Price
= $500 used

Artists that I like = Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc...

Can anyone point me towards the guitar I described?...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Last edited by thriller4life at Jul 8, 2008,
and i'd like a ferrari with a durmax engine made by the lolwhat? pear for 2.50. Sadly, this isn't likely to come by.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Ibanez. RG1570 if you can stretch to it. Scallop it yourself

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Check out Carvin guitars http://www.carvinguitars.com/ They have custom radius necks in 4 sizes, jumbo frets (really close to having a scalloped guitar) and you might be able to get one used for around $500-600. The only scalloped guitar that comes that way from the factory is the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature at $1500. You can scallop your own http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm I have all my guitars scalloped (even the acoustics) and I did it myself.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
get an ibanez s- series $510
floyd rose bridge
light weight
great feel
just an overall great guitar
Jackson or Ibanez are the way to go. An Ibanez S320 is very versatile and can be had for $500 new. You might be able to find a Jackson DK2 or DK2M used for around $500. The Jackson DX10D is a pretty good guitar for the price as well. About $450 new.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Any Ibanez that feels good to you.
1977 Gibson Les Paul Special DC
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2006 PRS CE22
2006 Fender American Telecaster Deluxe
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 Amplifier
More pedals than I know what to do with...
I changed some of the information in the first post...any more recomendations?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
ESP LTD MH-400 with or without a floyd.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
^^Did you even read the 1st post?...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
a Schecter Gryphon, string thru, it has a fairly thin neck, cheaper, and versatile. also it has a coil tap

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483&src=3SOSWXXA

a friend of mine had the black one, UBER ****IN SEXY
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
^^I looked at some Schecter but I'm worried that the neck will be too thick from some of the comments. If I look into thicker necked guitars I'd look at some Epiphones, maybe some PRS guitars, etc...

I guess I'm sort of falling into what some people have said here..that thin necks are for shredding. The only thing I'm worried about with a thin neck is losing some sustain that an Epi/PRS might have over it.

So this brings a new question. Is this correct?:
thin necks=cleaner shredding with a less full sound
thicker necks=better sustain and a more thick/full sound
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
well, i think Ibanez was the first to come out with a neck made especially for shed, the Wizard, but IMO, its not all THAT good. yeah its thin, but a few i've played are wide. honestly, the Schecter's neck isnt that fat and is very nice for shredding.

The neck alone is not the only part of being able to shred. String action also plays a big role, so i would look for something that has a tune o matic bridge
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I know the neck isn't the only thing that matters for shredding...right now my ESP neck is setup with the action very low. The thin U shape of the ESP guitar cramps up my thumb from time to time. I have average sized hands and fingers.

Do you think you could shred the same on a PRS SE Custom compared to an Ibanez RG350 or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom?

Mind you I don't only shred I love classic rock aswell - Van Halen/Jimi/ACDC/GnR/etc...I also visit the Blues from time to time...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
Last edited by thriller4life at Jul 8, 2008,
A lot of shredders like an Ibanez or a Jackson. I like the classics (Stratocaster and Les Paul). But you have to decide whether you want 21 or 23 frets and things of that nature. 6 or 7 strings? humbuckers vs. singles?

Remember! You're special! Just like everyone else!
Last edited by stratologist at Jul 8, 2008,
HAHA ok when i read the trhead title i thought he meant he couldn't "pick" as in pick the strings of his guitar, like he didnt know how

now i feel like the idiot
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
^^LMAO...

As far as 21-24 frets goes...it doesn't matter to me.

Single Coil vs. Humber - on my current ESP there is both...I find myself playing on the humbucker for more of the rock type of songs and the single coil for the bluesy songs and some shred...If I had to pick just one...I'd pick some tight sounding humbuckers that could do blues and tight shred.

I play a 6-string guitar for the guy who asked.

I'm not sure about getting an Ibanez because of the quality of their lower-mid end models. There pickups aren't very good and some of their trems are buggy. As far as jacksons go..they have an LFR and those are known to wear out quite fast.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
The PRS SE Custom is very tempting....opinions?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
play it before you buy it
Ibanez AEL 12-string

yeah, just go to a Guitar center and play some guitars, but even the cheap Ibanez S series have ZR trems which are really good. its the cheap rg models that you have to look out for
I'll try the Ibanez S320, PRS SE Custom, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, a Schecter C-1 Plus, some of the RG models, and that's about it.

I'm leaning towards the PRS SE Custom because for the price it seems to have the best quality..and that's a pretty versatile guitar with good sustain.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
^^The reason I'm not sure about Ibanez is the pickups and quality...
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
to be honest i think your gonna want a superstrat.
ESP.
Ibanez.
Jackson.
ESP LTD - If your looking cheaper...